Home

hummingbirds ?

Posted By: jabNE

hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 10:16 AM

fall migration should be coming up, was curious if anyone has seen activity yet. Moved to an acreage this summer and I don't have feeders out yet. Hoping I haven't missed the window of opportunity to help the little guys load up before their big trek south.
Jim
Posted By: Gulo

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 10:21 AM

Jim -

The exodus has already occurred in my neck of the woods. We've had a couple of hard frosts, and the surrounding mountains are well covered with termination dust. We still have a single feeder hanging, but its not been touched in a week. I'd better pull it before it ices-up and shatters.

Jack
Posted By: pcr2

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 10:24 AM

we stop feedin around labor day weekend,notice a big buzz of activity feeding up for the long flight.

see ya next year guys
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 10:37 AM

Local old guy over here said the females have left and only the boys remain.
One thing I noted different this season,
dark feathers and light spots on wings.
My Aunt told me I should plant flowers,
I said, I can't eat those.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 10:37 AM

Hummers still here Wausau Wi (north central), will keep feeders up for migriants
Posted By: wamp

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 10:40 AM

Starting to see few more on the feeders this week
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 10:49 AM

No feeders here but I've noticed increased activity in the garden and around the flowers beds.

Three times in the last week one flew up and hovered a few feet away as I was taking a leak off the deck.
Posted By: marathonman

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 10:51 AM

yep they are headed south
Posted By: flash

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 10:58 AM

Funny the males have left here, we still have our girls though. Should all be gone by oct.

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 11:00 AM

Same here, seeing mostly females.
Posted By: Bruiser1

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 11:01 AM

We had a bunch at our feeders this summer. Seen the last one 3 days ago
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 11:22 AM

The males go south first to get the winter home cleaned up spic and span for the ladies when they come later.
Lots of humminbirds in Wyoming. I like to watch them.
Posted By: Sullivan K

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
Local old guy over here said the females have left and only the boys remain.

All I have is females. I haven't seen a male in two weeks
Posted By: Hern

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 11:55 AM

Why do Hummingbirds hum?

They don't know the words! grin
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 12:03 PM

Refilled our feeders yesterday and had hummingbirds try to land on them as I was still hanging the feeders back up. I imagine in another week they will all be heading south.

Chris
Posted By: Getting There

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 12:25 PM

We have notice fewer HB at the feeders the last few weeks. I have taken one feeder down. Half way up Michigan right on Lake Michigan.
Posted By: Ranger109

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 12:29 PM

We have noticed an increase in numbers, as the migrants come through. We have two feeders out and they are eating about quart every three to four days now. We love setting on the porch and watching them.
Posted By: Bushmaster

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 12:30 PM

They left here about a week ago....
Posted By: Kre

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 12:54 PM

This is the first year I've had feeders out. I really enjoyed watching them.

Having said that, there definitely seems to be fewer around, but still a couple. They're such a cool, little bird!
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 01:12 PM

I had females still here yesterday.
Feeder drained fast in the last week.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 01:50 PM

Had two here yesterday afternoon.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 01:54 PM

A few are still around
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 02:45 PM

Do you all mix your own nectar? What ratio?
Posted By: marathonman

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 03:05 PM

1 cup of sugar to 4 cups of water

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by marathonman

X2
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 04:16 PM

Up and gone here
Posted By: charles

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 04:17 PM

They are still common in Western NC.
Posted By: Patrice

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by marathonman

Same here.

They're drinking away here yet this morning. Going through the nectar.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/11/20 05:05 PM

Amazing in places there are still tourists streaming through on their way south ! It is so good people leave their feeders up a bit longer to have fuel stations for the most northern fliers .

I've had mine up with none for a week now, so I'll probably take them down soon. There was two, maybe three stragglers , Black Chinned hummers , then they left south.
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/12/20 01:02 PM

I had 25-30 female and 1-2 male hummingbirds at my feeders On Saturday and Sunday. By Wednesday this week we were down to 6.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/12/20 02:17 PM

I had a couple of dozen here and since a week ago am down to two. Those two may well stay and not go south.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/12/20 02:28 PM

I took my feeders down last week. This spring started out with a flash of activity and remained steady until about two weeks ago despite our dismal rainy “summer”.
Posted By: NEYotetrapper

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/12/20 09:05 PM

We have had a couple and at times 3 of them around this week. Seems they spend more time chasing each other away from the feeder than they do feeding. The rainy weather didnt stop them, they were pretty active from first light up until dark.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/12/20 10:52 PM

Males all gone. Still got the females in good numbers

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/12/20 11:15 PM

I saw a pair hanging around the wife's sunflowers this evening. was too far away to see if they were male or female. i saw a male goldfinch eating the sunflower seeds too.
Posted By: Owen156

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/13/20 12:44 AM

We were loaded yesterday, but only a couple today.
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/13/20 02:22 AM

I mix 1 cup sugar to 3 cups water for thier journey south , only had one hummer this evening ,will keep one feeder out till freezing weather dictates time to take it in .
Posted By: Northof50

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/13/20 03:25 AM

still at 50* north so there are still some above you guys to come down.
But they are resting on the feeders after the first drink for up to 5 minutes till their next.
Wasp catchers near the feeders early in the season really effected the amount of nest around this year, catch the feeding queen and be done with it....early.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/13/20 03:49 AM

We feed hundreds and go thru 3-4 gallons of juice per week after the young start flying peak summer. They started leaving after a cool night two weeks ago. Still quite a few around, plus we get quite a few travelers from north of us. They always have a little suitcase.

They are one of the happiest parts of summer and I miss them until they return. I am considering moving but do not want to abandon the squadron’s many generations built up over 32 years.

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/15/20 12:46 PM

Here is a short vid of some of our birds. Trying to count Hummingbirds is like trying to understand liberals...almost impossible, but we have been able to count 30 at one time.

https://www.facebook.com/100022640148751/posts/769532043811460/?extid=j6Tm24gvOQ3Cau3b&d=n

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/15/20 01:19 PM

Ranger109 you have to contend with 10+ species in the mix, at least we only have one species at a time
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/15/20 01:30 PM

Have not had a hummingbird at our freshly filled feeders in 3 days now.

Chris
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/15/20 01:31 PM

I am pretty sure mine left yesterday. Had two or three females still around then none.

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/15/20 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Ranger109 you have to contend with 10+ species in the mix, at least we only have one species at a time

We only have the Ruby-Throated variety here. I have never seen any other species.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/15/20 01:43 PM

I just found out on Pauls "pure ignorance" thread that hummers rode on the backs of teal to go south. Wonder who they ride north on! grin

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/16/20 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger109
Originally Posted by Northof50

We only have the Ruby-Throated variety here. I have never seen any other species.

Had to look up your location, guess my travels were west of you and towards the Mexican boarder to seel all those species

Late running feeders always pick up the unusual. We get some western species like Rufous and Black chinned because they loop up then come down and go east not south.

Lee-
In the old days it was a well thought theory that they burrowed into Canada geese backs and rode across the Bermuda triangle from South America. Only problem Canada's don't go to SA, but teal do go down there.
Posted By: Birdman382

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/16/20 03:59 AM

Where do they finally locate themselves?
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/16/20 03:28 PM

My bird food is 1 cup of sugar and half of a packet of raspberry jello added to a quart jar.

Add cold water and stir for a couple minutes to dissolve. I use the cane sugar instead of the other version.

I am done now. All gone south.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/16/20 03:42 PM

Lots here now. More than I've seen all year long.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/16/20 03:46 PM

Had a flurry of them in the last couple days.

Moosetrot
Posted By: RdFx

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/16/20 03:55 PM

My hummers left on the 9th Sept, all females. North central Wi
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/16/20 04:16 PM

They left about 2 weeks ago at my place. Feeder hadn't been hit in over 2 weeks. So, will pull them in.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/16/20 06:08 PM

We had one yesterday that pigged out and then vamoosed. I'm thinking it was one someone farther north fed all summer. I haven't seen a male in maybe a week and a half. All girls lately.Nothing today except Yellow Jackets. They can be real S.O.B.'s.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/16/20 11:45 PM

Very few for me this year. The last one I saw yesterday was looking at some late blooming plants. I cheated this year and hung the hummer feeder near my other feeders and I feel the presence of the other birds may have made them less likely to use the feeder I have for them.

Bryce

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/17/20 12:26 AM

Recently it has seemed that the dang Bald-faced Hornets are occupying my feeders. Hummers come in and then get scared away by the dang things. There must be a big nest of them around here somewhere but I have not seen it yet.

Moosetrot

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/19/20 10:21 PM

Surprised to see a Hummingbird zinging away from one of our feeders this cold morning!

Moosetrot
Posted By: Wife

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/20/20 07:10 AM

Jim, the Ruby Throat Hummingbirds have gone from Northern Nebraska, doubt you will see any from now until spring. Monarchs loading up behind the grove on these days of strong south winds waiting for another front to send them to Kansas/Oklahoma. A few doves still making a living on the power lines and the kestrels (sparrow hawks) showing up (sure sign of a frost in Canada). that's the report from (converted) Great Plains....... the mike
Posted By: Wife

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/20/20 07:16 AM

P.S We had ice pellets in that rain we got Aug.31/Sept.1 so give the migrators some credit for knowing when enough is enough....... the mike
Posted By: jabNE

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/20/20 09:49 AM

thanks the Mike.
My son plays baseball for WNCC in Scottsbluff and we were out there for labor day weekend and the 105 temps. Then he sent me pics of scene just a day and a half later with snow on ground and sleet coming down.
We jad just light rain for almost a straight week here on our end of state.
I out the feeder away for this year, will resurrect it in Spring.
Jim
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/20/20 10:05 AM

Still getting one or two per day here, all females .Made a fresh batch of sugar water for them yesterday ,
Posted By: tmrschessie

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/20/20 10:16 AM

We are still feeding them here in South Central Nebraska...
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: hummingbirds ? - 09/20/20 11:41 AM

We have a couple that didn't take off yet.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums