Home

9/11

Posted By: danny clifton

9/11 - 09/11/20 10:24 AM

I was at auction in Garnet KS. My son had been in marine corps boot camp for about 3 weeks. I figured he would get the adventure he was looking for.

Thanks from me go out to so many who have sacrificed so much to protect our country.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 10:30 AM

On my route, was at JMB when it got crazy with parents trying to get their kids. Pager went off informing what had happened and to return to the plant.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 10:45 AM

Building an addition on to a plant in Benton,AR. Friend got a page from his wife letting us know what happened. Not much work done that day, we were glued to the radio.
Posted By: k snow

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 10:48 AM

Was on break from pulling wrenches at a cadillac dealership. Saw the 2nd one hit live.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 10:51 AM

sangin,on the way out something felt weird and i realized it was dead silent quiet and realized no planes at all and the last one i heard that day was a military plane which i later assumed was probably one that was scrambled.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 10:54 AM

Was in the 5th grade I remember walking into the classroom and the teacher having the tv on. Remember going home That night and mom and dad being glued To the tv, and having little patience with my brothers and I. Hard for a kid at that age to understand a terrorist attack.

My sincere thank you to all those who serve our country in the military and as first responders, from my family to yours thank you
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 10:58 AM

I was building a chimney for a customer about twenty miles from the Lehigh Valley International Airport. I noticed the weird silence but didn't put it together until my wife called and told me what had happened. It was unusually quiet because the passenger flights had been grounded.

We were both worried that the attacks were the prelude to an invasion. I retrieved a gun from my truck, turned on the customer's radio so I could monitor the situation and continued working.

I figured if I saw enemy paratroopers I'd try to take out one or two before they got me.
Posted By: Finster

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 10:58 AM

Please say a prayer for those who lost their lives that day and their families.
Posted By: Miley

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 11:03 AM

Also pray for those still losing their lives due to illness from being on the pile. They are adding another 27 FF names to the wall that passed this year.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 11:06 AM

Walked into a doctor's office and saw a plane fly into the first tower on a TV on the office waiting room wall (it was a re-play). As I checked in, all eyes of the folks were on that TV, and I thought it was a movie playing or something. Then I noticed doc was sitting in the waiting room staring at the TV also! So were all the nurses and staff. All of them absolutely silent.

I just bowed my head.

I humbly thank those men and women who risk all unselfishly.

Thanks for the post danny.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 11:12 AM

Praying for all those that lost someone that day, and for all those that sacrificed their blood, sweat, and tears defending this great country.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 11:20 AM

Was having breakfast with a colleague at a golf course with CNN on the TV when the 2nd plane hit, up until that point it was thought to be an accident. I said, "have to get back to work that's about to impact on my workload." Was acting detachment commander with a rural Ontario police service at the time. Wasn't just the U.S. that went on high alert.
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 11:48 AM

Was finishing a garage floor in a neighboring town when I seen airplanes from KCI doing U-turns. Didn't know what was going on until a concrete truck driver told us at the next job. After dumping out that footing we all headed home to be with family and try catching up on what was happening.
Posted By: 160user

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 11:59 AM

I was on a fire near Spanish Fork, Utah.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 12:02 PM

I was teal hunting in NW Mo
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 12:14 PM

We were in Prattsville working, went to Dons house to see the second plane hit.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 12:32 PM

I was home watching the News, seen the second airplane hit. The first thing I noticed was all the paper that got blown out of the building. Odd the things you remember.
Posted By: sotired

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 12:36 PM

I was at work, heard about a plane hitting a building in New York on the radio, so I turned on the TV in the office. Saw the second plane, hit, then was called out on an ambulance run. Learned about the Pentagon as we were loading the patient.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 12:36 PM

I was in high school. Watching that happen sealed my fate with joining the army.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 12:40 PM

I was in Wichita, doing my six month certification test for Ks Gas. The inspector, who I knew well, came out and got me. Said there is something weird going on, that a plane hit one of the towers. We went in and watched the second one hit, and realized we were being attacked. Just like yesterday! On the way home that afternoon, some of the gas stations were raising their prices, and I thought what arses, taking advantage of the situation!
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 12:45 PM

I was in Green Valley IL installing some commercial aluminum doors. Went to a gas station for lunch and heard the news. Saw the gas lines and prices start right away. Paid $8.00 a gallon for gas on my way home from work at a ''cash only'' gas station. Then got gas for free 3 days later after things calmed down some. That afternoon was kinds of the the first day we got shut down for corona - no one was out, no planes, people I did see at the gas station were looking at each other like no one knew what would happen next. Next day one of my buddies told me signed up with the Army.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 01:02 PM

I was watching the news and saw the first one hit. Spent the next few hours trying to get word from my nephew that was in the Merrill Lynch building across the street. He was ok but had the image of people leaping to their death imprinted on his mind.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 01:06 PM

Wife just sent me this:

Heard on the radio: I added a little.

Let’s remember 9/11 but celebrate 9/12. The unity that was America that day. The flags that were flown. The pride that burst from the country’s every pore. The love and support for every American. The feeling that God was present and all would be okay.

It would be nice to see that kind of pride again through out our country
Posted By: Pike River

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 01:06 PM

My girlfriend was still in HS so I was up there visiting her, I had just joined the navy the previous year after the Cole attack was just about to head to GL.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 01:07 PM

I was sleeping as I had just gotten off of a night shift. Woke around 4pm-ish. Went over to see my neighbor before going into work again.
He told me the towers blew up. I was a bit confused as my neighbor's primary language is Spanish , but he speaks English decently. Sometimes his English is not that good and wasn't sure of what he meant. When I got to work , I found out exactly what had happened.

Side note- as I was writing this , a page came over my Firefighter pager at exactly 9:03. The page was a reminder of just what happened exactly 19 years ago at this exact time.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 01:14 PM

Was at camp hunting. Didn’t even know about it for 4 days when I hooked up the radio. Wasn’t until I came out at Christmas that I got to see images. That’s when it really sunk in.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 01:23 PM

I was grinding tree stumps in Dallas Texas. Heard it on the truck radio.

Many thanks to those who sacrificed in all areas.

Seems I remember one radio station would play bostons version of the "star spangled bannner" quite frequently
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 01:27 PM

I was in agribusiness management class in the morning. By 3:00pm I was in an ambulance heading north to NYC.

We got staged just outside of the city until they realized it wasn’t going to be a rescue operation and it turned into a recovery...

Sad day for sure.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 01:30 PM

I had been scheduled to work with a customers tech in tower 1 floor 81. he canceled on Monday needed to take his wife to the doctor , Tuesday

lost 2 sites in tower 1 , the people made it out from both.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 01:31 PM

I was in my classroom, we watched it all day.
We are watching it now and will be teaching it all day today!
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 01:42 PM

I had been skinning fish to make room in my freezers in preparation for our bear season and a bunch of bear hides needing to be frozen. I had just wiped off my hands and called my Pappy to wish him a happy 76th birthday. My Bride walked to the studio door from the house and said a plane had just hit the WTC. After getting off the phone with my step dad I went into the house and spent the rest of the day in front of the TV. We had a fighter jet swooping around by us a bit later in the day. Found out later it was forcing a small plane to land at a grass strip runway a short ways from the house. September 11th was never just the Old Man's birthday after that.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 01:53 PM

I was at Work...( Wal - mart) Sporting Goods, The TV's in Electronics next door were all showing the News....A very sobering moment All the employees and customers were back there watching.

Everyone was thinking WW3

Prayers throughout the day for the Survivors and families !!! And for all who took part as afterwords.
Posted By: bulletbox

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 01:55 PM

September 11, 2001.. Where were You??

That day started like many a September day in the baldies of Coke County, TEXAS for me. I left the house about daylight and drove to another ranch owned by my youngest brother to plow wheat ground. I serviced the tractor, checked the plow, and headed out.

I was just about through with a 30 acre patch, when I noticed a pickup, up in the water lot. It was my Great Uncle Corky (Carlton). He had never come out to the ranch, unless we were working sheep, so I knew something was up. So, I pulled up the plow and headed his way. He told me that I was needed back at the house, NOW. So, I killed the tractor and headed for the house in a hurry. Now, I didn’t have a radio on the tractor, once I got into the pickup and I realized something was going on. No one really knew what yet, but they said a plane had hit one of the World Trade Center Towers in New York City.

My Dad had terminal cancer. He was in the final stages, getting weaker by the day. He had woke up that morning, after I had left, and decided today was the day he was going to the Robert Lee Nursing Center. He had not told me but a few days earlier he had called and told them he would be coming and needed a room in a few days. He did not want to die at the ranch for fear that my Mother might not want to live in the house once he was gone.

Just as I got to the house, the second plane hit the other tower. We still didn’t really know what was going on, but my middle brother and I started loading stuff for Dad to take to the Nursing Center. We took his chair, a T.V., a loveseat, clothes, and some other stuff that we thought he might need.

Marc and I helped him to Mom’s vehicle, and off the town we went. Once getting to the Nursing Center, the people there checked him in. Part of that was to get his weight. Marc and I both helped him on the scales, and he weighted 211 pounds. Now, Dad was a big man, he usually stayed in the 270 range, but the cancer had just about eaten him up. He looked at Mom, with tears in his eyes, and told her she had never seen him so light, he weighted more than that as a Sophomore in high school.

We got him in his room and got all his stuff arranged. Hooked up the T.V. and started watching the news about the crashes. He told my brother and I, that it was just like listening to the Pearl Harbor attack when he was a kid.

We watched it for a while, then Dad asked us to find ESPN or something else, so we tried, but nothing else was on the T.V. It sort of upset him that, there was nothing else on. LOL… He was a sports nut, and said, cut it off if that is all they are gonna have on there today. Marc and I left to go work on something, I can’t even remember what, but we came back later, and he was watching baseball, and in a good mood again.

Dad lasted until September 24th, 2001. He died around 2 A.M. in the morning, with Mom, and his son’s by his side.

We buried him on September 26th, in a little country cemetery, about 5 miles from the house.

I for one will never forget what I did on September 11th, 2001.
Posted By: pappy t

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 01:57 PM

Sitting on a towboat in Baton Rouge harbor. Ironically, we were in the exact same spot when the space shuttle Columbia blew up over Texas in 2003.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 02:22 PM

I was at my cabin in N Idaho , getting ready for work. Saw the beginnings of it on the TV, at first thought it was some distasteful ad for a si-fi movie . I was late for work, in a trance , trying to assimilate what I had seen, and what to do to plan for days ahead.

Arriving at work, my employer was very upset, she couldn't say a word. She ushered me to her couch, where we sat and watched the news again, in silence. After a bit, she sent me back to my cabin , with full payment for a day's work anyway. She had no heart for work .
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 02:30 PM

I remember I was getting ready for Court standing in front of the TV, tying a tie and shaking my head in disbelief. Felt like a repeat of OKC 1995 but on a much bigger scale.

Thinking of all that were lost.
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 03:43 PM

I had the day off from the Ford dealership because I had a dentist appointment that afternoon in OKC. Decided to take advantage of the day off and do some morning dove hunting. Was driving between one place and the next and heard it all on the radio. Went to OKC that afternoon and the gas stations were sky high and had cars lined up all the way up the off ramps. Complete pandemonium. Sad sad day.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 03:58 PM

I was on my 7 off and camping back in the back country and didn't even know till about the 14th.
Thank you to all the service men and women that serve this great country.
To everyone always remember 9/11 it can happen that fast.
Posted By: adam m

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 04:27 PM

Got home from graveyard shift for some reason I turned on the tv instead of going to sleep. Tower 1 burning. Watched live the 2nd plane hit people jumping out. Stayed up watching all day
Posted By: KeithC

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 05:01 PM

I was sitting on the floor, in my house in Dayton, Ohio boxing around 1200 quail eggs to ship, with the TV on. I had just got back from Washington State early that morning, from my brothers wedding. A Cooper's hawk hit the top of my flight cage, on my pigeon loft causing a commotion, just as the live footage showed the second plain hitting. WPAFB started sending up massive numbers of aircraft shortly thereafter. I remember thinking we are now at war and that we need to pound an enemy into oblivion, so hard, that no one ever dares to attack us again.

Keith
Posted By: River Birch

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 11:32 PM

Posted By: LCoutdoorsman333

Re: 9/11 - 09/11/20 11:58 PM

River birch my best friends tug company is in that video many times. great video. gives me chills every time.

I was in 6th grade when it happened I remember everyone getting pulled out of school all of sudden. some left crying cause family members were in the towers. we all new we were attacked but couldn't understand how. the teachers were told to keep any tv's off. got home and mom wasn't home she was helping bring rent a johns down as close as they could get to the city for the first responders. dad put tape in vcr and taped it all still have the vcrs tapes. so many people that day for some reason didn't show up to work and lived because of it. I find it so strange that so many missed work that day or weren't there. my first gf who lived a house up her dad played hookie that day for some reason. saved his life. Its the day I decided I would join the military at 11 years old. Thanks to every single person who sacrificed that day and every day for our great country.

-LC
Posted By: cheechako

Re: 9/11 - 09/12/20 12:00 AM

Had already been accepted to the police academy and was going to the community college. They hit while I was in class. Watched them fall on TV at my office job. Couldn’t help but think I would’ve been in there and died just like the other officers that were doing their best to get people out. Every year I do the 9/11 memorial stair climb in honor of those folks. Me and my bad knee can suffer through it for the heroes that had to do the same in real life in full gear.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: 9/11 - 09/12/20 12:03 AM

Was at a construction trailer for a job meeting, when the guard knocked on the door to say some idiot hit the WTC with a plane. Some time later he came in and said we are under attack! The job was close to the Hudson River, those planes probably flew over the site.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums