Home

Coyote or ?

Posted By: Pawnee

Coyote or ? - 09/11/20 04:25 PM

Friend of mine heard his dog barking. Came out and was shocked to see this gal in his front yard. Tried running her off but she just ran to the front porch and laid down. He’s a avid hunter and was a bit shocked. He texted me and ask what I thought. I was 80% sure pure coyote just by the pic he sent, but then he sent me video from home security. Once I saw her run and walk I was 100% sure. He put his tailgate down and she loaded right up. I say someone is missing a pet coyote.

Attached picture 0EE700B4-C6D2-4CB4-AFE6-6F9042B22065.jpeg
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/11/20 04:29 PM

From that picture I would skin it......
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/11/20 04:31 PM

Looks like a coyote to me, pretty cool
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/11/20 04:37 PM

Looks way more wolf then coyote.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/11/20 04:42 PM

Is that a recent picture? Looks to be furred up pretty good for this early; it's still summer.
Posted By: white17

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/11/20 04:47 PM

Domestic. Looks like a lot of Husky in there
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/11/20 04:49 PM

I would keep it and have my own lure tester and watch and learn from her. I would give her flea and tick protection pills too. Pretty cool having a coyote to study all day long.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/11/20 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Domestic. Looks like a lot of Husky in there

I guess, ears look a little short and wide maybe. Nice looking whatever it is.
Posted By: jk

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/11/20 04:58 PM

WOW that is amazing!!!......jk
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/11/20 05:06 PM

The nails have been trimmed. That's someone's lost dog. The legs are to short and thick to be a coyote and the ears and head are wrong too. It might have some wild canine in it, but it's mostly domestic dog.

Here's my coyote Katie, for comparison.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Keith

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/11/20 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
Is that a recent picture? Looks to be furred up pretty good for this early; it's still summer.

Yesterday’s pic. I thought the same thing
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/11/20 05:32 PM

I think it is a pet coyote myself.

Here is a domestic wolf hybrid for comparison. She is said to be 7/8 wolf and down to 1/8 Malamute. She is also fine with strangers and wants to get in yer dern lap if you sit down LOL

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/11/20 05:39 PM

Though eastern coyotes do show thicker, heftier build than the typical skinny westerns, this one does seem to have some influence of husky or domestic dog. The thick shorter ears, first thing I noticed. A wide muzzle , compared to the skinnys, and Keith's. Legs short, and wider chest than typical.

Listening to wolf biologists, some wolves can be so close to the real thing, with such little dog influence, that it takes close careful observation to see the subtle physical differences.

That's my guess, anyway.
Posted By: white17

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/11/20 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
I think it is a pet coyote myself.

Here is a domestic wolf hybrid for comparison. She is said to be 7/8 wolf and down to 1/8 Malamute. She is also fine with strangers and wants to get in yer dern lap if you sit down LOL

[Linked Image]

That forehead angle is very typical of a dog skull. If you view a wolf skull or head from the lateral view there is almost always a flat slope from the top of the head to the tip of the nose.

Dog skulls usually exhibit a sharp drop at the forehead
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/11/20 05:49 PM

What ever It Is It's got a lot of coyote genes In It's DNA.

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/11/20 06:11 PM

Keith thanks for the pics of Katie. I’ve seen between 20-30 the last 3 weeks chopping silage and all had nice coats. Nothing slick like yours. I did think it was a bit thick too. Interesting
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/12/20 02:58 AM

Sure is a pretty dog
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/12/20 03:20 AM

Sure looks like a sled dog, aka Alaskan Husky, to me. They are finer boned than a Malamute or Siberian, which is what most people visualize when they think sled dog.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/12/20 05:56 AM

Husky mix.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/12/20 10:36 AM

cool looking dog
Posted By: flash

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/12/20 01:59 PM

paws look a little wide too. but i couldn`t say one way or the other.....
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Coyote or ? - 09/12/20 07:02 PM

Half breed
© 2024 Trapperman Forums