Home

Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof?

Posted By: yote_trapper20

Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 04:33 PM

For those that have wood stoves in your fur shed. Which route did you go and why? I’m leaning towards out the wall. This would unfortunately put two 90 degree bends in the chimney though.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 04:35 PM

Straight up is always better!!
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 04:41 PM

Mine goes out the wall (former window) wish I would've gone straight up and when I redo the roof probably will.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 04:55 PM

strait up drafts so nice and keeps the flue temp up till the pipe is above the roof line.

I have 90* in 2 45* because of where the stove had to go to make wall clearance and still fit between rafters, but those are before the ceiling box so when I clean I have a strait shot to the top.

I burn decent wood and clean once a year and if I get a cup of soot out at most that is about it , I can run a camera up and see that it is clean all the way to the top.
Posted By: WV Danimal

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 04:59 PM

Any chimney through a roof is a leak waiting to happen. I redone a few houses doing away with the brick chimney and routing the stainless double wall outside the over hangs. No issues thus far. Clean out is simple as you can do it from the ground instead of getting on a roof every year.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 05:08 PM

Addin one to my shed/shop as well. If its out the roof does it need to go above the peak or just two feet past where it passes through the roof?
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by WV Danimal
Any chimney through a roof is a leak waiting to happen. I redone a few houses doing away with the brick chimney and routing the stainless double wall outside the over hangs. No issues thus far. Clean out is simple as you can do it from the ground instead of getting on a roof every year.

Fact. I have a ribbed steel roof and leaking is a problem. I need to regroup.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 05:24 PM

Talk to someone in your local fire department regarding 90 degree angles on a wood stove. I vote straight up.

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 05:26 PM

[Linked Image]
Note the smokepipe going thru the roof. Obviously the proper way to go!
Posted By: white17

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 05:34 PM

Straight up.
If you have leaks around the penetration..........somebody did it wrong
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Straight up.

Eyyyuuup.
Laying down shingles or panels is the easy button- a good roofer knows how to flashing things so they never leak
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 05:45 PM

straight up is better.
Flashing is straight forward and better draft.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 05:55 PM

Straight up is best. Creosote will run back down to the stove. If you have a 90 turn the creosote wants to stop there and build up and will totally stop up the pipe if it don't burn out first.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 05:59 PM

While straight up Is the better choice you can still go through the wall. Just use 2 45s instead of 90s.
Posted By: cotton

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 08:06 PM

Straight up.

X2
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
[Linked Image]
Note the smokepipe going thru the roof. Obviously the proper way to go!

I didn't know Leftlane was in your neck of the woods
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 08:18 PM

That's my new claims assistant's rig! Miss Bendy does yoga on the roof every morning. grin
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 08:46 PM

Straight up gets a better draft but then you have t make sure the roof doesn't leak. I went out the wall and it works fine

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by DWC
Addin one to my shed/shop as well. If its out the roof does it need to go above the peak or just two feet past where it passes through the roof?

I've heard it should be 3' higher than the peak of the roof to draft right.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 09:00 PM

Straight up.

If you are talking masonry chimneys then I completely agree. But you might be surprised by the amount of leaking masonry chimneys (built and flashed by others) that I've been called to repair. It seems like the concepts of step and counter-flashing are lost on many builders.

If it's a steel pipe I won't touch it, call someone else. IMO, a steel pipe through a roof is a leak waiting to happen. There just isn't any good, reliable, long-term way to properly flash them.

I have a steel pipe through the steel roof of my camp. It doesn't leak but I go up there every other year and schmutz it with roof coating.

I had a steel pipe through the roof at home, It didn't leak for the same reason but rain water coming down the pipe (it had a cap on it) mixed with ash and creosote and ate a hole in the steel smoke shelf of my woodstove.

I built a masonry chimney and ran the stove pipe through a UL rated wall pass-thru into a masonry thimble and into the chimney. The chimney is properly step and counter-flashed and maintenance free as far as leaks are concerned.

I've never had any draft issues with my Quadra-Fire.

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Originally Posted by DWC

I've heard it should be 3' higher than the peak of the roof to draft right.

Without looking I think the code says two feet higher than any part of the roof or building within ten feet.

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 11:14 PM

Some chimneys now days are 100 yrs old and the original flashing just ain't gonna last. Thank God for modern power tools!
Posted By: taser

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 11:20 PM

2 ft above the ten foot parallel
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/11/20 11:45 PM

You can recover more heat from a horizontal run of pipe than a vertical run, but it will not draft as good. It kind of becomes a balance of your damper for draft or holding heat.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/12/20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by DWC

If I remember correctly, NFPA 211 states you need to be three feet above the peak if you pass through the peak or two feet above anything within a ten foot plain. That's national code, local code can be more stringent.
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/12/20 02:00 PM

An outside chimney is cold to start with and does not draw so well when starting a fire. Because colder than an inside one an outside chimney promotes more creosote accumulation also. Inside chimney heats ur house better too all the way up with that warm chimney.

Have had both and inside wins. Put ur top 2' higher than the house ridge line to draw better.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/12/20 02:02 PM

So does it have to go higher than the peak if u go out the side wall?
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/12/20 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by DWC

Yes. Drafting properly is very important. As most stated , 2-3 feet is code , but a little taller is better. More draft , less chance of back drafting when you get high winds.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I seen this cobbled together setup in a house I was working in. They must have had a drafting issue. Not recommended IMO.

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/12/20 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by DWC

Not necessarily. By code it should be two feet higher than any part of the roof or building within ten feet on a horizontal plane.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/12/20 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Originally Posted by DWC

Not necessarily. By code it should be two feet higher than any part of the roof or building within ten feet on a horizontal plane.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/12/20 03:09 PM

I have had both and prefer through the roof. I had a custom stainless flashing made at a local sheet metal shop. No leaks, no bends to slow the flow or clog, easy to clean, and I have high ceilings so cheaper less tripple wall, and it the hot pipe heats inside instead of outside.

I still own the house with through the roof but at the farm I went with option 3. Outdoor wood fired boiler. I burn a lot more wood but no mess, smoke, or fire /safety hazard in the house. Very little splitting and a lot less cutting to length with the 2 foot by 2 foot door and 36 x48 inche for box. It also heats my domestic hot water saving around $250 in electricity a year. O and unlimited hot water. Nice and toasty even if your 5th in line to get a shower. It is also large enough to heat a 30x40 shop if I get one built.

It was expensive up front but the old farm house had limited options and those had high expenses to put in a wood stove. It's old draft and after 4 years of what my propane cost would have been the outdoor wood stove will have paied for its self.

Re: Woodstove chimney...out the wall or out the roof? - 09/12/20 03:18 PM

Sometimes weather conditions makes it very hard to get a draft going. I've had to open windows, doors, and even put an electric heater inside the stove to warm the pipe up to get a draft started.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums