Home

I just left

Posted By: Donnersurvivor

I just left - 09/12/20 11:06 PM

I couldn't take MN anymore, felt like a poison slowly killing me. I took some clothes and just drove west. Sitting in Helena trying to figure out now what. Left my company, my customers, my family.

Honestly I'm mostly running from a crazy soon to be ex wife and her new fiance.

If anyone needs help in Idaho, Montana or wyoming ide like to stay out here and start a new life, don't need to make much, I have savings, just need somewhere to stay. I can fix fence, train horses, run a chainsaw, don't need a ton of hours or pay.

I'm not much for praying or God but right now it may be nice to know someone is thinking of me.
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: I just left - 09/12/20 11:10 PM

Feel for You Brother/Friend. Deep thoughts and Smoke Sent.
Posted By: DWC

Re: I just left - 09/12/20 11:14 PM

Sounds like you’re looking for a fresh start and, especially in todays times, i think youre goin to the right area. Id pick Wyoming myself, only spent about a week there but I loved every minute of it. Im not sure what you do/did in MN, but i personally would square things up with your boss if you dont work for yourself. It would sure suck to have your next job depend on a reference if things were left unsettled. I wish you he best of luck.
Posted By: rex123

Re: I just left - 09/12/20 11:16 PM

Sorry for what your going through. KEEP TALKING TO GOD IT HELPS.
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: I just left - 09/12/20 11:22 PM

May be a.good time to get to know GOD.
HE may have a plan for you.
PM if you want...

Donnie
Posted By: Badger23

Re: I just left - 09/12/20 11:26 PM

Wow, I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure a lot of us have thought of that at some time.
However if you own a company don't you have responsibilities to take care of before you take off? Liquidating any equipment/assets you have, contacting your customers, contacting your bank, insurance company, family etc. If you leave this way and want to come back to that area how will that be looked at?
Where were you living that you can just walk away from?
If you're going to do this, that's fine just think it through.

I don't know you but I'll be thinking of you and hoping it works out but you may want to just take a few days away, clear your head and get back to MN and get those affairs in order.

Like I said I'm sure many of us have thought of doing that just don't make a rush decision.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: I just left - 09/12/20 11:35 PM

Good luck on your new adventure! Having peace of mind is worth it wait in gold. If you are a good worker you will not have any problum
finding a job!
Posted By: keystone

Re: I just left - 09/12/20 11:45 PM

God is with you at all times, the hardest part about God is when things are not going so good! I made a pact with God that i would never give up on him no matter what kind of situation i was in. It helps keep me on the narrow path, you get out there on those wide open paths and you find to many options. If you’ve got some savings maybe check out a few places, you can most definitely meet some people at a church and find some work. I personally like Christian Churches.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: I just left - 09/12/20 11:51 PM

You have my respect for sure. Takes lots of guts to do that and I wish you the best on your fresh start. No doubt anyone with some will and work ethic can carve a new life in no time flat. I'm rooting for you.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: I just left - 09/12/20 11:53 PM

Good luck in your new adventure in life. Reinvent yourself if needed. Be good, treat people good, and good will follow. Trust in yourself. I find most New people I meet are genuinely good at heart. Do yourself a favor and stay away from cities. God bless and take care

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 12:04 AM

I run my own buisness, a tree service. Ill be calling customers Monday and helping them find a new provider.hoping to bring my equipment out here eventually, see how much is left after the divorce
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
I couldn't take MN anymore, felt like a poison slowly killing me. I took some clothes and just drove west. Sitting in Helena trying to figure out now what. Left my company, my customers, my family.

Honestly I'm mostly running from a crazy soon to be ex wife and her new fiance.

If anyone needs help in Idaho, Montana or wyoming ide like to stay out here and start a new life, don't need to make much, I have savings, just need somewhere to stay. I can fix fence, train horses, run a chainsaw, don't need a ton of hours or pay.

I'm not much for praying or God but right now it may be nice to know someone is thinking of me.

Donnersurvivor,
You and I have had lively, spirited debate. As it should be. I'm praying (literally - not figuratively) that you find shalom and if I can help you in any way, let's chat.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 01:40 AM

Keep your head up brother. Smell some sage and experience some freedon.
Posted By: Marty

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 01:45 AM

Best to leave some stuff in the rear view mirror, good luck to you.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 01:47 AM

Prayers sent. It's a long haul, but time does heal wounds.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 01:54 AM

Hope you find what you're looking for, best of luck!
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 01:56 AM

Deer Lodge ALWAYS has jobs in corrections at the prison if you would like that kind of work.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 02:00 AM

Best wishes on your future endeavors!

Chris
Posted By: Cragar

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 02:00 AM

Prayers sent. Things will get better. My sorrows for the tough times you are in right now.

Stay tough , you will get through this.
Posted By: bandy

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 02:16 AM

Will be lifting you up in prayer i have been down that road you sound like you are up in the wind about God just tell him that and ask him to show you how real he really is.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 02:32 AM

Prayers sent.

Charlie
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 02:33 AM

First of all, you are absolutely going to be just fine....You are at your most heightened awareness when the chips are down, nobody can get anything past you that's not real at this point.

Jesus is real, an honest days work for an honest days pay is real....Good folk everywhere in the area your in, real straight up honest folk.

Network in Church, breakfast houses, etc. and let it be known you want to work and stay a while.

I'm pulling and praying for you brother...You have the world by the b@77$....You really do!
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 02:34 AM

Family? As in children?
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 03:46 AM

Find yourself a nice friendly small town, go to the cafe, gas station, barber shop, feed store, etc... where your type people hang out and just visit with folks you'll find yourself a spot to fit in real quickly I bet. I'm not into the God stuff either but I'll be pulling for you.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 04:19 AM

Sounds like you’ll be better off.
But it’s a shame ya drove past all the gas field jobs in ND.
We’ve lost 4 guys from our plant in 4 months to ND.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 04:45 AM

I quit my forever union until retirement job in 1984.Drove across the US with a thousand bucks in my pocket,my traps and a 52 international pickup.I stopped in Montana as it was a possible destinationation, found some work,a wife and have never moved on again.I am now retired,still married and have a pair of great sons.At the time Montana was not really a destination for anyone and I mentioned to my new wife as we were driving along the Crazy mountains from Big Timber north what a beautiful place.I wonder why no one lives here?

That all being said it is to tell you that it can be done.I do not know of any specific jobs or places to stay but if you want to send me a message I can point you in the right direction.There are lots of jobs available right now if you have a good work ethic and you can keep your head on straight to hold one.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 07:09 AM

I'm guessing there are no kids. Should be easy peasy. Sounds like the soon to be ex shouldn't be much of a problem if she's already found someone. Buy them a nice wedding gift and wish them your best.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 09:39 AM

prayin for ya

promise its amazing what god and tman can do

can ya dance? laugh
Posted By: swift4me

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 10:09 AM

I wish you the best. I think you are moving in a good direction. I'm not the praying kind but I'm rooting for you. Lots of good advice above. Folks in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho can spot a real man quickly. You'll find a road. My parent's ashes went into the Gallatin river on Thursday and I spent many great years in Montana and Wyoming.

Good luck.

Pete

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 10:41 AM

I'd pm USMC 47 on here and ask what he knows,great-great guy livin the dream in the mts of Montana after a lifetime of servin MERICA and he's been there done that. wink

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 10:45 AM

also the fall coyote thread on chat is an amazing little family with ties to the areas you are looking at.great group of guys that have helped me through a buncha poop.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 11:03 AM

good luck to you ,will say a prayer, for you , there lots of work out there for anyone that want's to work
Posted By: Pike River

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 11:16 AM

Hang in there bud and take care of yourself both physically and emotionally. Come up with a 3 year plan and write it down.
Posted By: corky

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 12:26 PM

When you trap are you more successful putting out traps willy-nilly or if you have a strategy and a plan? Go back, take care of business, make a plan and then make the move. You may have a good outcome the way you are doing things now but a little planning will increase your odds of good things happening.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 12:36 PM

A move like that took NAD's! Good luck man. That would be tough for anyone to do. Those western states have trees also so you should be able to find work.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by corky
When you trap are you more successful putting out traps willy-nilly or if you have a strategy and a plan? Go back, take care of business, make a plan and then make the move. You may have a good outcome the way you are doing things now but a little planning will increase your odds of good things happening.

That doesn’t make a very good story or movie.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 12:48 PM

good luck.
"...soon to be ex wife and her new fiance."
Wow the ink isn't even dry yet and she's jumped back in with two feet.
Your flight took courage. Shake the dust from your shoes and get back to being you.
Posted By: dkrug

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Originally Posted by corky

That doesn’t make a very good story or movie.

I thought " Tough Times Never Last, But Tough People Do! " by Robert H Schuller was a very good story. Try it.

https://www.unboundedwisdom.com/25-...-but-tough-people-do-by-robert-schuller/

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 01:15 PM

Best advice I can give you is get right with God and everything else will fall into place. Want always be rainbows and lollipops but you will find you'll have an non-moving Rock to strengthen you.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 01:46 PM

Hey, you gotta come back to MN to vote for Trump! At least, get an absentee ballot! Good luck out there! The air and mountains will cure what ails you, me thinks.

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 09:43 PM

In two days I drove 2,500 miles, slept a total of 8 hours in the truck,drank two gaterades, ate one poptart and feel a whole lot better. At a friend's place near aspen colorado, going to stay a week then head home face down the demons and leave on my own terms...with more than 1 t shirt this time.

Hoping to have everything squared away by November and be back in buisness for myself by spring in a new location. So far I love Helena Mt, western wy seems great but haven't driven through the cities to get a sense of tree work. Going to check idaho as well. Colorado is nice but it doesn't have a "western" feel, pretty yuppy.

I have no kids, if I did ide never leave them with that nut job.

As far as getting right with God... Probably not, I married the virgin Christan girl I always wanted, went to church, said my prayers and somehow I ended up with a addict who lie,cheated and stole from me... I'm pretty done looking to the sky and expecting answers.
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: I just left - 09/13/20 09:49 PM

HE gives us a choice...choose wisely...
Wish you the best of luck...

Donnie
Posted By: cmcf

Re: I just left - 09/14/20 12:47 AM

Lots of tree work in the “city’s”. lol just remember 30,000 people is a city in a lot of western states.
Back to the tree work I worked for a tree company for a short while. The owner had so much work he flat refused to do estimates! He would tell the customer if you want me to do it fine I will tell you how much when I’m done. He also did contract shrub and lawns and spraying had about ten young people working at all times and stayed backlogged two weeks for the time I was there. I don’t know what he does in the winter maybe snow removal.
There are a few ranches that hire full time hands for fencing, haying, calving and branding usually pays about $1,000 a month and a small house usually get a half beef a year. Might be more work than you want though!
Most ranch hands are fine people they just don’t like to be around a lot of people lol.
I did pretty much the same thing you are doing minus the crazy woman part twenty years ago! Haven’t regretted it a bit.
But I warn ya,if the northern Rocky Mountains gets in your blood you’ll play hob getting shed of them.
And you are correct about Colorado at least the eastern front range. Their city’s go into the millions just like what you’re leaving and all the same problems.
Welcome Pilgrim, a man with grit can do well for himself in the west.
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: I just left - 09/14/20 12:55 AM

Leave the past in the past, and go after whatever you want, but don’t turn your back on the man upstairs. He never said it was gonna be all rainbows and unicorns, but he did say he’d see you through it all. It’s been my experience that that indeed is the case.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: I just left - 09/14/20 01:17 AM

I can't recommend alienating God either, but a small break wouldn't hurt His feelings...He knows you're hurting, and wants you back. Everything in life is a test, get right, and you'll realize why you have put through this one! May the peace of Christ be with you ALWAYS! God Bless YOU.
Posted By: white17

Re: I just left - 09/14/20 01:23 AM

In two days I drove 2,500 miles, slept a total of 8 hours in the truck,drank two gaterades, ate one poptart and feel a whole lot better. At a friend's place near aspen colorado, going to stay a week then head home face down the demons and leave on my own terms...with more than 1 t shirt this time.

Hoping to have everything squared away by November and be back in buisness for myself by spring in a new location. So far I love Helena Mt, western wy seems great but haven't driven through the cities to get a sense of tree work. Going to check idaho as well. Colorado is nice but it doesn't have a "western" feel, pretty yuppy.

Sounds very realistic !!
Posted By: PaRay

Re: I just left - 09/14/20 02:09 AM

If you don’t have kids, then that makes things waaaaaay easier.

I know it doesn’t feel like it right now but someday you’ll buy your ex-wife’s fiancée a beer- he did you a huge favor

Good luck man!
Posted By: adam m

Re: I just left - 09/14/20 02:24 AM

Praying for you
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: I just left - 09/14/20 02:32 AM

Sounds like you have a good plan now. Rawlins, WY has a lot of work. Very NW MT is pretty good.
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: I just left - 09/15/20 02:06 AM

Praying for you Donner. Been down a similar road myself about 29 years ago. Change can be good. Give it time and treat people right. Re acquainting with god couldn't hurt things either.
Posted By: benelli7979

Re: I just left - 09/15/20 03:03 AM

Hello, I read your story and the comments. I went back and reread it again. I haven’t talked about my ordeal with my ex to anyone other than my best friend. I broke things off when I found the meth pipe she used. I had two young ( in diapers) kids. I took the high road and am still raising them loving every second. My kids and family were my rock. I understand the road your on. Walked it myself. Keep your self strait and clean. Time heals. Like everyone else said when your ready, he will listen. Good luck with everything you will be in my thoughts.
Posted By: keystone

Re: I just left - 09/15/20 03:10 AM

I have no kids, if I did ide never leave them with that nut job.

As far as getting right with God... Probably not, I married the virgin Christan girl I always wanted, went to church, said my prayers and somehow I ended up with a addict who lie,cheated and stole from me... I'm pretty done looking to the sky and expecting answers.

Obviously very frustrating to say the least but blaming god for her actions isn’t helpful. Seems like your heart was in a good place while hers was obviously not.

Re: I just left - 09/15/20 04:13 AM

Good to hear life is pointed straight ahead for you Donnersurvivor.
I'll continue to keep you in prayers and as several already mentioned, don't judge your Creator by His created. None of us are perfect this side of eternity.
Maybe toss out a humble prayer asking the Lord to gather you up, because He does His best work in the valleys.
I'm confident in God's Word that grace is amazing.

Blessings,
Be safe on the roads!

Mark
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: I just left - 09/15/20 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Keep your head up brother. Smell some sage and experience some freedon.

X2

Sage is Wonderful!!! ...Prayers!
Posted By: James

Re: I just left - 09/15/20 05:14 AM

Best wishes for you, Donner. I think going back and tying up loose ends before you move is the best strategy.

I myself have never heard a call from an invisible man in the sky, but I understand he helps a lot of folks.

Jim
© 2024 Trapperman Forums