Home

sharpening steels

Posted By: wildcat101

sharpening steels - 09/13/20 02:34 PM

need your recommendation on a good sharpening steel .
thanks for your help.
Posted By: SpottedOwl

Re: sharpening steels - 09/13/20 03:02 PM

For the fur shed or the kitchen? For the fur shed I use an old wing window off a pickup, mounted on the bench. I can get a little more precise at the knife tip with this. The kitchen I have a couple very old fine grooved steels that are almost smooth after years of use. Any good brand, smooth or fine grooved, at least 10” will do you well.

Paper wheels to sharpen when needed.

Owl
Posted By: old_newbie

Re: sharpening steels - 09/13/20 03:04 PM

I've got a couple Victorinox steels, one for the kitchen, one for skinning knives. They aren't very expensive and work great!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: sharpening steels - 09/13/20 03:14 PM

for a sharpening steel as in a steel that takes metal off rather than just rolling the bur back to the center

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell-DDS-12PCP-Diamond-Sharpener-SILVER/dp/B004NG98EG

it will get you back to meat cutting sharp quickly , have been using them for around 15 years

my uncle and cousins who fished commercially had been using them much longer that that had them on every tug.

I did pick up a Work sharp Ken onion with blade grinder attachment https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/sharpeners/powered/elite-knife-sharpener-2/ I found a review that gave a 25% cupon code and it brought it down to 149.99 for the kit .

I looked at paper wheels and I am convinced they would also work well , however I wanted it to be more portable , I bring it with me to my dads for fishing and bring it to deer camp I like the variety of things I can do with it , including using it to finish knifes form blanks.

with the power stropping belts you can get hair poping shaving sharp in a short time , if that is the goal

the tool get you back to an edge that you can touch up with a steel for some time depends how much you use it I seem to touch up my kitchen knives about 2x a year , started the very first time with all the belts now I seldom go less than 320 grit unless I gto a nick.
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: sharpening steels - 09/13/20 06:57 PM

After you do some research send me a PM.
Posted By: charles

Re: sharpening steels - 09/13/20 07:11 PM

Consider the F.Dick hyper steel. It is professional grade and really keeps sharp knives very sharp. Google them. Used widely in fish and poultry processing. I love mine.
Posted By: adam m

Re: sharpening steels - 09/13/20 07:39 PM

I forget the name of the one I bought when I was butcher. It's a carbon & diamond oval steel. 20 years in constant use.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums