Plexiglass.

Posted By: The Beav

Plexiglass. - 09/14/20 06:08 PM

How Is the best way to cut plexiglass?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Plexiglass. - 09/14/20 06:14 PM

how thick

lexan , poly-carbonate , acrylic ?

thin stuff score and snap thick stuff fine tooth blade circular saw or reciprocating saw
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Plexiglass. - 09/14/20 06:22 PM

Plywood blade, like Pete suggested.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Plexiglass. - 09/14/20 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
how thick

lexan , poly-carbonate , acrylic ?

thin stuff score and snap thick stuff fine tooth blade circular saw or reciprocating saw

Use masking tape along the cut for cleaner results.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Plexiglass. - 09/14/20 06:45 PM

If using a table saw, raise the blade a bit higher than you would for cutting wood. Helps reduce slap as the piece goes through.
Posted By: concrete man

Re: Plexiglass. - 09/14/20 06:52 PM

I have had good luck cuting or scoring with a sharp utility knife and it snaps without cracking.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Plexiglass. - 09/14/20 07:52 PM

It's very thin 1/8" at the most and It's very pliable. I have to get It out of the frame before I atempt doing any cutting. A job for tomorrow.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Plexiglass. - 09/14/20 08:19 PM

Plexi is rigged and brittle, sounds like you've got some Lexan...
Posted By: Boco

Re: Plexiglass. - 09/14/20 08:48 PM

I just cut a bunch of acrylic both the thin and thick stuff with a cut-off wheel on an angle grinder.
A bit rough but the edges will not be seen anyway.It kind of melts/cuts-wear a mask-it stinks.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Plexiglass. - 09/14/20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
It's very thin 1/8" at the most and It's very pliable. I have to get It out of the frame before I atempt doing any cutting. A job for tomorrow.

for that a strait edge and a razor knife score it a few times put it over the edge of the bench at the score and it snaps off decent.

I tried the circular saw on the thin stuff if is too brittle for the hand held circular saw it bends to much it chipped near the edge if your going to cut it that way I suggest a sacrificial board underneath or I resorted to the cut off wheel like Boco when In needed to trim just a bit off.

the circular was just bent the edge too much to fast and chipped. with the cut off wheel it melts but then cleans up ok with the razor knife.

I used it to put a new window in the free truck topper i picked up about 2 years ago
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Plexiglass. - 09/14/20 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
I just cut a bunch of acrylic both the thin and thick stuff with a cut-off wheel on an angle grinder.
A bit rough but the edges will not be seen anyway.It kind of melts/cuts-wear a mask-it stinks.

heat the cut edge with a torch, just a little. It will smooth out a cut edge.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Plexiglass. - 09/14/20 10:13 PM

Router is the best. Cut off wheel on grinders is ok. Jig saw with fine tooth blade is ok also. Poly carbonate(lexan, hyzoid,etc.) is much stronger than acrylic.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Plexiglass. - 09/15/20 12:48 AM

Laminate knife. You can get a cheap one for a couple bucks at most any hardware. Most saws melt as much as cut and the rough cut can allow it to crack.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Plexiglass. - 09/15/20 10:51 AM

I score it with a table saw, about 1/16" of an inch and raise the blade about the same in multiple passes. You can cut it on a bandsaw also, In addition, I've also used a router bit, you need to make small passes or heats up.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums