Home

Rain guard for game camera?

Posted By: HayDay

Rain guard for game camera? - 09/15/20 03:51 PM

Have had several instances where game camera shots taken at night are all blurred, either by rain or condensation from dew or fog.

To my knowledge, none of the cameras come with any type of rain bonnet or cover to keep the lens free. Anybody have the same problem and what is the solution?
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Rain guard for game camera? - 09/15/20 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by HayDay
Have had several instances where game camera shots taken at night are all blurred, either by rain or condensation from dew or fog.

To my knowledge, none of the cameras come with any type of rain bonnet or cover to keep the lens free. Anybody have the same problem and what is the solution?

I made a rainguard by cutting a butter tub in half and nailing to tree above cam. It solved problem.
Posted By: cbat

Re: Rain guard for game camera? - 09/15/20 05:59 PM

We have built birdhouses for them basically. Put the camera inside and don't put a front on it.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Rain guard for game camera? - 09/15/20 06:26 PM

Good ideas^^^

Re: Rain guard for game camera? - 09/15/20 09:13 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Rain guard for game camera? - 09/16/20 12:34 AM

Couldn't do that on state land. If you do you can bet the camera will be gone. I put my cameras in pines and blend them in. The tree acts as my rain shield. A lot of my cameras are up high pointed down so no rain gets on lens.

Re: Rain guard for game camera? - 09/16/20 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by strike2x
Couldn't do that on state land. If you do you can bet the camera will be gone. I put my cameras in pines and blend them in. The tree acts as my rain shield. A lot of my cameras are up high pointed down so no rain gets on lens.

mine are on my place.
Posted By: goatman

Re: Rain guard for game camera? - 09/16/20 12:45 PM

When I used to build trail cameras I would run a heavy bead of Liquid Nails above the lens. Can't remember if that helped with fog though.

Re: Rain guard for game camera? - 09/16/20 04:35 PM

Good ideas all. The half bucket idea got the wheels turning and it occurs to me I have a whole stack of 3 quart disposable plastic flower pots. Some black, some green, some nice ones in a brown burlap pattern. Split one of those in half, north to south, and it may well work.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Rain guard for game camera? - 09/16/20 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by HayDay
Good ideas all. The half bucket idea got the wheels turning and it occurs to me I have a whole stack of 3 quart disposable plastic flower pots. Some black, some green, some nice ones in a brown burlap pattern. Split one of those in half, north to south, and it may well work.

Great ideas

Re: Rain guard for game camera? - 09/17/20 10:06 PM

3 quart flower pots.

Will give a pair of these a try. Back of camera pins it to the post.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: woodchuck

Re: Rain guard for game camera? - 09/18/20 12:23 AM

Use a gallon milk jug. Cut it so the bottom acts as a shield and it is held in place by sliding one side behind the cam. Can also paint them. I usually angle the sides so it fits better over the cam.
I usually on my homebrews make a type of shield above the lens that helps some. Put some silica packs inside and it may help a bit to absorb moisture. Any way you do it with temperature changes fogging is likely.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums