Home

Coincidence?

Posted By: Thumbian

Coincidence? - 09/16/20 10:22 AM

I live about 1/4 mile off a state highway, wooded area. Don’t have much traffic between Labor/Memorial Day. About 1:00 AM last night heard a semi coming down the road and the driver laid on the air horn and heard tires squeal. Couldn’t have been 30 seconds later the coyotes really began talking between the road and my house. Makes me wonder if the coyotes are conducting deer drives!!! I’m sure it’s a coincidence but I do think they knew breakfast was probably ready
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Coincidence? - 09/16/20 10:52 AM

roadkill cafe is what ya had i bet and if it was a semi,sounds like burger was on the menu.

have a dozen geese decoys always out about 75 yds from my bedroom window,listened to pups attack 3 times last week.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Coincidence? - 09/16/20 10:58 AM

I think not!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Coincidence? - 09/16/20 11:03 AM

Coincidence??? I think not! (as well)

Re: Coincidence? - 09/16/20 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
I think not!

Name that comedian!!!
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Coincidence? - 09/16/20 11:06 AM

Air horns, trains whistles, sirens all get coyotes howling. Just a their reaction to loud noises.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Coincidence? - 09/16/20 11:49 AM

Yes sir, I think Yes sir has it exactly right. Coyotes were responding to the horn. Used to hear them do the same with train whistles all the time.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Coincidence? - 09/16/20 12:09 PM

If a deer got hit and its guts busted open it took however long for the breeze to bring the scent to them for them to get interested. This time of year when their belly’s stay full they wont rush to the buffet though on the edge of a road if that road has vehicles at night
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Coincidence? - 09/16/20 05:03 PM

Coyotes are plenty smart enough to realize, after a few lucky accidents, that driving deer onto the highway frequently results in a meal. I have a coyote leaning against my legs eating, right now and have seen her figure out cause and effect, over and over.

Katie, my coyote, figured out that if she pushes the button on our kitchen garbage can with her nose that the lid will open.

Keith
Posted By: hippie

Re: Coincidence? - 09/16/20 05:07 PM

Hawks and eagles watch for roadkills, I suppose yotes would too.

Re: Coincidence? - 09/16/20 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Coyotes are plenty smart enough to realize, after a few lucky accidents, that driving deer onto the highway frequently results in a meal. I have a coyote leaning against my legs eating, right now and have seen her figure out cause and effect, over and over.

Keith

Have you seen this action? I'm not talking a deer running across the road with a coyote chasing but actually coyotes herding deer on to a road way and trying to hold them there for traffic?
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Coincidence? - 09/16/20 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by KeithC

Keith

Have you seen this action? I'm not talking a deer running across the road with a coyote chasing but actually coyotes herding deer on to a road way and trying to hold them there for traffic?

I have not seen it, but it seems very likely that some coyotes have learned to chase deer onto highways. Holding deer there seems like it would be very hard to do for a pack of coyotes. In areas like much of Ohio with very high deer populations in areas with very heavy traffic, chasing deer on to the highway would have a pretty high reward rate for coyotes.

Keith

Re: Coincidence? - 09/16/20 05:34 PM

I must have miss understand the first comment, I read it as your where trying to convey a fact when you were just sharing a theory.

Re: Coincidence? - 09/16/20 05:56 PM

Many times, I've seen does in November go lay down in a field near the highway trying to get bucks to leave them alone, but often the bucks stand right there beside them. I could see a doe leading a buck across the highway trying to get him run over. Just like something a female would do!

Re: Coincidence? - 09/16/20 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Many times, I've seen does in November go lay down in a field near the highway trying to get bucks to leave them alone, but often the bucks stand right there beside them. I could see a doe leading a buck across the highway trying to get him run over. Just like something a female would do!

we might of dated some of the same women
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Coincidence? - 09/16/20 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
Yes sir, I think Yes sir has it exactly right. Coyotes were responding to the horn. Used to hear them do the same with train whistles all the time.

This

Re: Coincidence? - 09/16/20 07:36 PM

For 21 years I drove a garbage truck that had an air horn. I goosed every hawk on utility poles, and cats strolling across roads. Twice, I made cats do a complete backflip with the air horn. (Yes, they did land on their feet) And, did you know a possum can jump clear across a 3' wide ditch?
Posted By: 653

Re: Coincidence? - 09/16/20 10:17 PM

nope its a deer drive
Posted By: Ave

Re: Coincidence? - 09/16/20 10:56 PM

Last year, I was hunting and watched a doe come across the field and cross a ditch. She was about 80 yards in front of my stand, and I had no plans of shooting her. As she walked down into the weedy ditch to cross using a trail , a coyote jumped out right next to her and tried to grab her. Luckily she got away. Here the coyote had been waiting in the weeds right beside the trail, or it was a coincidence. It really was amazing to see something like that.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums