Home

Bear meat

Posted By: The Beav

Bear meat - 09/16/20 09:49 PM

So a buddy of mine killed a Black bear and Is going to give me some of the meat. I've heard that there Is a chance that bear meat may have trichinosis. So I should cook It till It's well done right. But I would like to get some sausage made out of It and since they just cure the meat used In making sausage should I back off from the sausage Idea?
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Bear meat - 09/16/20 10:33 PM

Cook as you do pork. Ive made bear sausage over 50 years in using regular smoking procedures, no problems so far. I mix bear with beaver and also beef in seperate recipes.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Bear meat - 09/16/20 10:34 PM

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Bear meat - 09/16/20 10:35 PM

How old are you Beav?

Just roll the dice...LOL!

No I'd believe RdFx
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Bear meat - 09/16/20 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
So a buddy of mine killed a Black bear and Is going to give me some of the meat. I've heard that there Is a chance that bear meat may have trichinosis. So I should cook It till It's well done right. But I would like to get some sausage made out of It and since they just cure the meat used In making sausage should I back off from the sausage Idea?

A few years ago I trapped a 140 pound bear and had the entire bear made into sausage. Not smoked but rather the raw meat (mixed with stuff) in tubes. everyone loved it and no one reported any problems. so just cook the sausage before you eat it.
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Bear meat - 09/16/20 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
How old are you Beav?

Just roll the dice...LOL!

No I'd believe RdFx

cry laugh grin
Posted By: Boco

Re: Bear meat - 09/16/20 11:33 PM

No jerky or medium rare bbq.
Great in stews or in the oven.
I make bear sausage quite a bit.Just cook it well done.
Dont get a whole bunch of sausage made all at once.
Freeze large chunks of meat and if you want sausage(or any other cut) take it out and make the sausage.
Sausage has salt and other spices in it that makes it short lived in the freezer.(it gets rancid)
With big chunks frozen,any bit of freezerburn can be trimmed off the outside of the big chunk before slicing into steaks cubes or making sausage.
it wont matter if you only have a bit of meat.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Bear meat - 09/17/20 12:14 AM

Bear Brats are awsome..
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Bear meat - 09/17/20 12:33 AM

Bear and venison smokies can't be beat
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Bear meat - 09/17/20 01:38 AM

Gary, I have only shot one bear in my life, ground the whole thing into different sausages. I smoked my sausage and to this day I still think that was the best I ever had.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Bear meat - 09/17/20 02:19 AM

Eaten meat from over 100 bear.
I ain't dead yet.
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: Bear meat - 09/17/20 02:24 AM

Freezing bear meat kills trichinosis.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Bear meat - 09/17/20 02:42 AM

After skinning a Bear you realize it’s just a human with a big fur coat. I haven’t been able to eat a Bear yet. They have biceps man!
Posted By: ttzt

Re: Bear meat - 09/17/20 02:57 AM

Not all strains are killed by freezing.

Re: Bear meat - 09/17/20 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
After skinning a Bear you realize it’s just a human with a big fur coat. I haven’t been able to eat a Bear yet. They have biceps man!

They're delicious

Re: Bear meat - 09/17/20 03:46 AM

So In other words I should just stay away from types of summer sausage.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Bear meat - 09/17/20 10:22 AM

beav, if your making your own sausage , just bring smoker to 160 degree , if you are bring to some one else ask them how hot there smoker is , I smoke my own an always bring my smoker over 160 for a hour at the end ,
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Bear meat - 09/17/20 10:22 AM

beav, if your making your own sausage , just bring smoker to 160 degree , if you are bring to some one else ask them how hot there smoker is , I smoke my own an always bring my smoker over 160 for a hour at the end ,

Re: Bear meat - 09/17/20 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.

Thanks Bernie

Re: Bear meat - 09/17/20 01:36 PM

Good info^
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Bear meat - 09/17/20 03:34 PM

I usually set my smoker at about 200 and check internal temp after 2-3 hours. Bring internal temp to 165 for a while and you are good to go.
Posted By: Patrice

Re: Bear meat - 09/17/20 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav

I think it's much more than a chance of carrying trichinella (which causes trichinosis) - in some populations, it's extremely prevalent and unavoidable if you don't handle the meat accordingly. Here's one of many articles:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/trichinosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20378583

I would stick to the 160 degree rule - note that it is higher than the newer 145 degree rule for domestic pork, which is safer than it used to be.

Good luck with your bruin dishes. Post some photos!
Patrice

- Here's an interesting article from Steve Rinella in which he recommends at least 137 degrees - not so sure about that!
https://www.petersenshunting.com/editorial/steven-rinella-the-bear-facts-on-trichinosis/273460
Posted By: Boco

Re: Bear meat - 09/17/20 09:34 PM

I like to have a nice pot of stew on the stove at trapping camp.Hearty and delicious after a day on the line.
Boiling is a foolproof way of safely cooking all wild meat.
Another tip-make sure you clean and disinfect your tools like knives and meatgrinders after processing wild meat.
A jug of bleach at camp has lots of uses,and a couple drops in the crickwater bucket will keep you from getting sick if you cant boil it.
Posted By: LCoutdoorsman333

Re: Bear meat - 09/17/20 10:49 PM

It makes great sausage, chorizo, osso bucco, braised, slow cooked, all sorts. just follow that video. think bernie b even has a summer sausage one. I just made summer sausage with it last week and its fantastic.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Bear meat - 09/18/20 12:33 AM

Just cook it good.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Bear meat - 09/19/20 02:14 AM

Some wrong information is in Bernie's video clip.
One of the species of the worms does not die with freezing for 3 weeks.
The second is 165*F is the recommended rate not 160*f
if he had looked at the CDC info there are cases per million people listed which was not 50 for the USA per year.

but what's a little tingle in your tummy really like, usually the effects are not diagnosed until long after the encounter.
Posted By: Walkerdawg

Re: Bear meat - 09/19/20 02:19 AM

Probably ain't safe for you Beav, just freeze it and I will come get it and dispose of it for ya!!
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Bear meat - 09/19/20 02:47 AM

Just had Smoked bear ribs tonight, they were beyond good
Picture pork flavor and brisket texture, bone pulled right out.

Attached picture 2B892768-6E0B-4BBA-B424-97DDE4DB69E0.jpeg
Posted By: Walkerdawg

Re: Bear meat - 09/19/20 03:21 AM

Looks good NE Wildlife!!
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Bear meat - 09/19/20 03:27 AM

Looks great. When the kids were little, with no preconceived ideas I would say bear meat was a favourite of all the game meats.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Bear meat - 09/19/20 03:32 AM

I think the ribs are about the best part of a bear.

Moosetrot
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Bear meat - 09/19/20 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

and after skinning a squirrel you realize it is just a rat with a fluffy tail

I have eaten bear but don't get it often.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums