Home

Deer Gun?

Posted By: proratman

Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 01:01 AM

Does anyone still deer hunt using "Iron Sights"?
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 01:04 AM

Yea die hard sportsman and hungry hunters.....
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 01:08 AM

I do....I have a terrible time finding my target through a scope.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Not for a long time. I have see through mounts on a couple of deer rifles and have the iron sights dialed in but never had to use them on deer.

Chris
Posted By: ~ADC~

My eyes won't allow it any longer.

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Pike River

Bad scope.

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

Bad scope.

Hmmm....go on....I'm listening....

I'm by no means a gun expert. I just grab it and shoot.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 01:12 AM

point your rifle at the target then look through your scope

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

You would think its that simple but I must have something messed with me on how I instinctively point the rifle and end up far off.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 01:15 AM

Yup sometimes I do and hunt squirrels with a pistol with iron sights as well.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 01:16 AM

Two eyes open to get on target. Then close the one eye.

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

Bad scope.

Hmmm....go on....I'm listening....

I'm by no means a gun expert. I just grab it and shoot.

A scope like this IMO is a perfect for a deer gun... https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-crossfire-ii-2-7x32-rifle-scope.html Terrific eye relief, wide field of view, and more than enough magnification for typical deer ranges. I have seen so many people become so much better with a scope when they switched to this one. My boy uses it on his .350 legend, .44 mag lever gun, as well his .17HMR for coon calling. Quick target acquisition, and fast shooting when needed.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 01:24 AM

1895 Winchester, what do you think?
Posted By: EdP

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 01:24 AM

Yes. I've taken many deer with a flintlock rifle with iron sights and have numerous friends that have done the same, as have a number of others on this site.
Posted By: proratman

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 01:35 AM

I was taught to look just over the scope, find your target, drop your eyesight into the scope. And shoot!
Posted By: SpottedOwl

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 01:40 AM

Do peep sights count? I like my peep sights, the buckhorns not so much anymore.

Owl
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 01:41 AM

the slug gun I use while I am doing deer drives , shooting fast at generally short range has Irons.

I hunted a lot of years and shot a lot of deer with a bead at the end of the barrel has some issues with that when I got glasses 15 years ago.not sure why as I hit clay birds fine now it took some time to get used to it.got my first pair of glasses however the week before deer season that might have been part of the problem.

all my hunting guns with scopes have 2-7x32 nikon or votex they stay on 2x 98% of the time if I turn up the power either I am threading the needle or shooting over 125 yards on a slow calm deer.

Posted By: 160user

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 01:42 AM

If the scope is fitted to you properly this shouldn’t be a problem. Spend some time with it. While watching TV grab the rifle, throw it up and find your target. With MINIMAL practice the rifle becomes an extension on your hand.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 01:49 AM

open what???? at least 3x so it doesn't look like you are shrinking your target. only open sights should be on a shotgun ( point and shoot). Or a close range handgun 45, 9, 40 (point and shoot) everything else should have a scope (including .22 handgun and otherwise) JMO
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 02:03 AM

Look at your target as your pulling the scope up to your eye.

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 02:04 AM

keep your eye on the target move gun with low power optic up to your cheek , in to your shoulder.

the majority of scoped guns I see the scope is too high , too far back and there is not enough cheek rest on the stock to get a good cheek weld and see through the scope.

[Linked Image]
you need to get a good cheek weld eyes closed then open your eyes if you can't see clear edge to edge through the scope , build up the cheek rest card board strips and masking tape to start that will let you know where you need to be

eyes closed , lowest power magnification up to the cheek into the shoulder turkey neck stretch and drop to cheekweld open your eyes is the scope clear edge to edge move ti forward or back as needed to get there find where you get edge to edge clarity and where you loose it forward and back set in the middle of that , then turn the magnification to max and you should still be able to see edge to edge.

on the highest magnification turn the focus ring at the rear eye piece all the way in shoulder the rifle with your eyes closed aiming at a blank white or sky open your eyes , was the reticle crisp , turn in 1/4 turns and keep trying you want to find where it gets crisp then starts to get blurry again then go back to crisp, you keep your eyes closed look at that blank wall , back of a target or clear sky and open your eyes , the catch you have to decide in about 1/2 a second was it crisp or not before your eyes try and correct for it. when you find that spot mark.

after setting up like this you should be able to look at a target shoulder the rifle and spend no time looking for the retical in the scope , your head should be firm to the stock in the exact same place every time

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 02:46 AM

one of my deer rifles , the cheek bag gets me the right height , the bolt just lightly touches my cheek when all the way back and it has a 14 inch length of pull. my scopes might be a touch farther forward than others need them do to my size

that scope has 3.7 inches of eye relief
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 02:52 AM

I use iron sights all the time for deer hunting here in the North woods.I don't mind buckhorn sights but I prefer peep sights.
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 04:45 AM

I have a peep sight on my Win Model 95 in 30/06. It's my back up moose rifle, though I've never shot one with it. Can't hardly see buckhorn sights anymore.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

You would think its that simple but I must have something messed with me on how I instinctively point the rifle and end up far off.

Or often your scope is to far forward or back to far . Also your rings may be to tall to get a good cheek weld.

I hear this often from folks that are new to shooting with scopes and dont get it set up correctly or more often they have the guy at the gun shop put the scope on. I see a lot of crosshair at angles and scopes so far forward the intended shooter cant see a thing because it blacks out. Often this is because the gun counter guy is over 6 ft and the gun is for a smaller shooter.

Green county beat me to it.
Posted By: Black dogs

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty

This for sure! Same like a shot gun, or for open sights on a rifle for that matter. I shoot peep sights on my 30-30. I also buy a finer fiber optic front sight along with a larger aptiture in the peep side. Works great!
Posted By: Fireplug

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 09:16 AM

I shoot a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun with a Leupol 2.5x Scout scope mounted way forward. Very quick and almost open sights.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by proratman

I mostly hunt with a scoped, pre-64 Winchester M 70. But I always take my Marlin 336 iron-sighted, lever action to camp as a back up gun and for days I'll be hunting in the thick stuff.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 11:08 AM

There are still 10 states that don't allow rifles for deer hunting. Shotgun slugs only I guess. Or buckshot. Do these hunters put a scope on a shotgun? What is effective range of a shotgun on deer?
Posted By: k snow

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 11:33 AM

I use a scoped 06 in farm country where longer shots are possible. In the woods, an iron sighted 30-30 or a flintlock rifle. Squirrel and rabbit I usually use a 22 with open sights.
Posted By: brisket

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 12:12 PM

I'm an iron sight guy. 22's, centerfire and slug guns. I shoot a sako 270 with square "pistol sights" for longer shots. Most shots for me are 100 yards or less and I've never had a problem

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
There are still 10 states that don't allow rifles for deer hunting. Shotgun slugs only I guess. Or buckshot. Do these hunters put a scope on a shotgun? What is effective range of a shotgun on deer?

while my state allows rifle , the township I hunt does not

12ga 28 inch modified choke barrel on a calm day with scope will do 5 rounds touching in a vertical line on a target at 100 yards yes that barrel warms up it strings
on a very windy day 75 yards becomes the limit as the slugs de-stabalize then hitting a 2 liter bottle is possible every time at 75 while 100 yards roll of the dice if you can hit the 2 liter bottle one will be left then right then left low
I hunted this gun a lot of years just the bead on the barrel , then had it drilled and tapped when I needed glasses it has a Nikon 2-7x32

this is with 2 3/4 1 oz Win super x rifled slugs

the 20 ga 5/8 oz 2 3/4 super x slugs take 25 yards off 75 on a calm day and 50 in high wind the foster type slugs are drag stabalized as they loose velocity which they do quickly they get less predictable they are also starting super sonic and half way to a 100 yard target fall sub sonic

this is all depended on gun or barrel my 24inch mossberg slug barrel with iron sights is about 6 inches at 100 yards for me unless really windy, and the 870 with 20 inch smooth slug barrel is a 50-75 yard gun for aiming it just does not make it happen at 100 yards

when you find a gun that shoots slugs well you hang onto it.

now the 20ga 2 3/4 24 inch fully rifled barrel with Winchester dual bond slugs is about 3 inches at 100 yards have't tried it further seldom any shots further , it is really impressive on the deer shot with it so far that gun wears a 2-7x32 nikon at 2.50 a round on sale I sight it in take 3 shots to verify each year then go shoot deer.

the ranges given are where you can predictably place the slug in a reasonable group , they are lethal much much farther you just have little ability to place them inside the kill zone on your deer.

the rifled barrel sabot slugs were getting to be basically strait wall cartridge rifles it fires a 260gr 44cal bullet at 1800fps just short of 45-70 velocities.

the State of WI found that rifles were no more dangerous , people treat a rifle with more respect for the range it can go and hit their target better in one shot. my county reported less stray projectiles hitting outbuildings , and equipment the year they switched to rifle and since. people think a slug drops more than it does because they are not hitting and they will aim 3 feet over a deer at 100 yards

blood trailing shotgun shot deer and rifle shot deer are different a 72 cal entry with a slightly larger exit they leak blood all over the place typically.

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

while my state allows rifle , the township I hunt does not

12ga 28 inch modified choke barrel on a calm day with scope will do 5 rounds touching in a vertical line on a target at 100 yards yes that barrel warms up it strings
on a very windy day 75 yards becomes the limit as the slugs de-stabalize then hitting a 2 liter bottle is possible every time at 75 while 100 yards roll of the dice if you can hit the 2 liter bottle one will be left then right then left low
I hunted this gun a lot of years just the bead on the barrel , then had it drilled and tapped when I needed glasses it has a Nikon 2-7x32

this is with 2 3/4 1 oz Win super x rifled slugs

the 20 ga 5/8 oz 2 3/4 super x slugs take 25 yards off 75 on a calm day and 50 in high wind the foster type slugs are drag stabalized as they loose velocity which they do quickly they get less predictable they are also starting super sonic and half way to a 100 yard target fall sub sonic

this is all depended on gun or barrel my 24inch mossberg slug barrel with iron sights is about 6 inches at 100 yards for me unless really windy, and the 870 with 20 inch smooth slug barrel is a 50-75 yard gun for aiming it just does not make it happen at 100 yards

when you find a gun that shoots slugs well you hang onto it.

now the 20ga 2 3/4 24 inch fully rifled barrel with Winchester dual bond slugs is about 3 inches at 100 yards have't tried it further seldom any shots further , it is really impressive on the deer shot with it so far that gun wears a 2-7x32 nikon at 2.50 a round on sale I sight it in take 3 shots to verify each year then go shoot deer.

the ranges given are where you can predictably place the slug in a reasonable group , they are lethal much much farther you just have little ability to place them inside the kill zone on your deer.

the rifled barrel sabot slugs were getting to be basically strait wall cartridge rifles it fires a 260gr 44cal bullet at 1800fps just short of 45-70 velocities.

the State of WI found that rifles were no more dangerous , people treat a rifle with more respect for the range it can go and hit their target better in one shot. my county reported less stray projectiles hitting outbuildings , and equipment the year they switched to rifle and since. people think a slug drops more than it does because they are not hitting and they will aim 3 feet over a deer at 100 yards

blood trailing shotgun shot deer and rifle shot deer are different a 72 cal entry with a slightly larger exit they leak blood all over the place typically.

Wasn't a law changed or something about 5-10 years ago that allowed rifle state wide and individual municipalities had to come up with their tailor fitted rules if they wanted to be stricter? I could hunt with a rifle in Mequon and Germantown (northern MKE burbs).

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 12:48 PM

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/...es-statewide-b99107924z1-225667631.html/

Washington and Oregon townships are the two I know of that made an ordinance to keep gun deer hunting shotgun and handgun only.

it has everything with who was on the town board at the time and since I don't live in the township I hunt , I get little say. however I have had family there since the 1880s
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 02:32 PM

I read where I think it was Maryland, is considering legalizing "straight-walled" cartridge rifle hunting along with shotgun. Don't know the reasoning for it. That includes some bigguns.

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 02:41 PM

With a few exceptions, most pistol caliber rifles don't have much better ballistics than a 12ga rifled slug. I've been using a .44mag rifle since Ohio lehaliz entry m for deer.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty

I would never close one eye and I've probably looked through more scopes than most.

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 03:19 PM

that is just it the 1.8 inch restriction strait wall cartridge really does set ballistics a touch better with the 2 3/4 or 3 inch sabot slugs than many of the cases will allow.

a 240gr bullet from a 44mag rifle will still kill deer very well and you can buy 50 of them for 40 dollars and practice more and reload instead of 50 sabot slugs for 150 dollars. the rifle also had greater accuracy and less recoil in most cases.

in WI they found 76% of hunters used rifles 24% shotguns yet 42% of shooting incidents involved shotguns

seen it over and over , because people are told shotguns are safer and don't have the range the do some really dumb things with them. like unload on a deer running along the ridge of a hay field 150 yards out aiming 4 feet high "oh that slugs drops like a rock" yeah like a rock strait through the machine shed 200 yards down the other side of that hill. sure it lost 40 feet in elevation but it was still traveling.

so many people would be cheap and " oh you don't need anything but the bead on the end of the barrel" true you don't but you should still practice.

"no adjustable sights , no need to sight in "

hand a kid a shotgun opening morning "there just put the bead on the deer and pull." yeah except his rear sight AKA his/her eye isn't int he same place yours was

just things that people would not do with a rifle , because they were told how far the rifle could go , that was drilled into them.

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by ebsurveyor

I would never close one eye and I've probably looked through more scopes than most.

lots of cross dominant eye shooter out there , and that is what they do. yes they should have been checked when they were kids and taught to shoot to their eye and not the hand they write with or the gun available to them at the time.

my dad is a squinter left eye dominant and right handed , they handed him a right handed gun when he was a kid, he wrote right handed he had been hunting 40 years before he knew any better by then his left shoulder was such a mess he is just a squinter , it isn't right , but it is

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
that is just it the 1.8 inch restriction strait wall cartridge really does set ballistics a touch better with the 2 3/4 or 3 inch sabot slugs than many of the cases will allow.

a 240gr bullet from a 44mag rifle will still kill deer very well and you can buy 50 of them for 40 dollars and practice more and reload instead of 50 sabot slugs for 150 dollars. the rifle also had greater accuracy and less recoil in most cases.

in WI they found 76% of hunters used rifles 24% shotguns yet 42% of shooting incidents involved shotguns

seen it over and over , because people are told shotguns are safer and don't have the range the do some really dumb things with them. like unload on a deer running along the ridge of a hay field 150 yards out aiming 4 feet high "oh that slugs drops like a rock" yeah like a rock strait through the machine shed 200 yards down the other side of that hill. sure it lost 40 feet in elevation but it was still traveling.

so many people would be cheap and " oh you don't need anything but the bead on the end of the barrel" true you don't but you should still practice.

"no adjustable sights , no need to sight in "

hand a kid a shotgun opening morning "there just put the bead on the deer and pull." yeah except his rear sight AKA his/her eye isn't int he same place yours was

just things that people would not do with a rifle , because they were told how far the rifle could go , that was drilled into them.

Reminds me of a youth deer hunt our county conservation club hosted. Family came in after the morning hunt and we went out to the range to shoot some paper plates to get some shooting in. They had rem 870 or the mossberg equivalent. No scopes. Kids and the adults had a hard time getting on the plates at 10 yards.

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 03:39 PM

With hornady SST slugs and my Mossberg 12 gauge it will put 3 slugs in an egg sized circle at 100 yrds EVERY DAY. IF AND THATS a big if you don't winch by the third shot. They kick if your shooting at paper. My buddy has the same set up but in 20 gauge and with a bdc scope its good to go out to 250. That 500 with the cantilever set up slug barrel is a tack drive with the sst slugs .....

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 03:47 PM

That mossberg is a kicking mule.

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝

ALL 12 gauges kick with those slugs. My 870 will rock your teeth fillings as well when shooting on the range!!!!

BUt that 500 will flat out shoot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by proratman

Yes depending on what gun I choose to hunt with or if I am using a muzzle loader

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝

ALL 12 gauges kick with those slugs. My 870 will rock your teeth fillings as well when shooting on the range!!!!

BUt that 500 will flat out shoot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

really bad form a bench

I have taken to sighting the 500 in prone with a sling and it is not as bad mostly because it is pulled so tight into the shoulder by the sling you move with it before has a chance to build momentum but yeah it can shake the fillings loose from a bench. or if you don't hold it tight.

but it sure is easy to carry all day

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 04:20 PM

[Linked Image]

Turkey ,dove,and deer. Kill them every year since I got it !! 199 bucks from duhnams.....Another 28 dollars for camo kit.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 04:53 PM

All slugs are not created equal ! That goes double for slug guns ! The savage 220 has turned the slug gun into a tack driving rifle, as long as you use the right slugs .

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Golf ball
All slugs are not created equal ! That goes double for slug guns ! The savage 220 has turned the slug gun into a tack driving rifle, as long as you use the right slugs .

Yea I thought I wanted an Ithaca deer slayer until I priced one !!!!

That Mossberg shot plumb thru every deer I shot with it. at 1/10 the price !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 05:25 PM

I had an Ithaca deer slayer years ago I liked it well enough with the right slugs, but it doesn’t compare to the savage 220 !

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 05:42 PM

both the Ithica and the Savage are hard to justify when 98% of all the shots offered are inside 80 yards especially when it is for one place I hunt one weekend a year. everywhere else I can use a rifle.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 05:53 PM

I see people with the magnification turned up so they are seeing about a one foot circle when they are trying to find the target. Turn the power down and it will be easy. Turn it up if you have a good rest and a longer shot.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/17/20 08:44 PM

I've always used a peep site with aperture removed on a 30-30. I don't go hungry....
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Deer Gun? - 09/18/20 02:09 AM

Nope eyes are not what they used to be.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums