Home

border collie doing his thing

Posted By: west river rogue

border collie doing his thing - 09/17/20 10:54 AM

really good dog for us. Herding machine......tough as tough. A bit stubborn but really smart. Trained to find son too. As aggressive as my german sheperds were. Very protective . [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
11 months now.
Posted By: Hern

Re: border collie doing his thing - 09/17/20 11:09 AM

I enjoy the moment before moving... laying down, ears back, eyes focused and ready for take off.
Great pictures

Re: border collie doing his thing - 09/17/20 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hern
I enjoy the moment before moving... laying down, ears back, eyes focused and ready for take off.
Great pictures

dojnt forget the border collie stare Hern....true as u said before takeoff or blastoff....this guy is a bullit. 1000% go everytime. Had alot of great dogs in my life. This guy is the fastest from standstill to target.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: border collie doing his thing - 09/17/20 11:38 AM

I remember when my kids were little at soccer practice, the coach had a border collie and the dog became increasingly frustrated trying to herd-up all the kids lol.. I've never owned one but definitely one of the smartest breeds, from what I've heard and read.

Re: border collie doing his thing - 09/17/20 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Eagleye
I remember when my kids were little at soccer practice, the coach had a border collie and the dog became increasingly frustrated trying to herd-up all the kids lol.. I've never owned one but definitely one of the smartest breeds, from what I've heard and read.

He has heart,ive trained many working dogs and competed many of them. Ive had a few champs in working dogs. I trained blue healers and they werent as stubborn as they were eager to please.,,But when u figure in the intelligence factor of the breeds the border collie is up there providing u figure out what he wants as praise. I liken training a border collie to training a coonhound(black n tan) BUT,if u find what trips a border collie trigger he will learn in 1 lesson. He learned to open and close the door on his crate in 2 days at 12 weeks. Day 1 was a settling in day,we let him become acquainted. [Linked Image]
In 50 yrs of training dogs Ive seen alot of quirks...german sheperds very little,just want to please. Border collies have some quirks.....the key is using those quirks to benefit his training.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: border collie doing his thing - 09/17/20 03:32 PM

[Linked Image]
grin

Re: border collie doing his thing - 09/17/20 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by DuxDawg
[Linked Image]
grin

lol!!!!
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: border collie doing his thing - 09/18/20 12:00 AM

Ours is smart easily the best dog we have ever had. I wish I knew how to get her trained properly to heard.
Posted By: badger

Re: border collie doing his thing - 09/18/20 12:51 AM

This is our pack from a couple years ago.
Ones gone and added two.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Getting There

Re: border collie doing his thing - 09/18/20 01:22 AM

Nice picture for the hole dog family.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: border collie doing his thing - 09/18/20 01:33 AM

Good dogs. Ours is half border and blue heeler
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: border collie doing his thing - 09/18/20 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by DuxDawg
[Linked Image]
grin

Hahaha

Re: border collie doing his thing - 09/18/20 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Ours is smart easily the best dog we have ever had. I wish I knew how to get her trained properly to heard.

starts with the blood.....mine was abca registered from a working dog family (black angus)snd the biggest issue with mine is to stop him from herding. Not an issue anymore but its just in him. Training isnt so hard.
As keith C pointed out many months back ,theres dogs for show and dogs for working. I chose abca registered because they are all about working dogs .....akc not so much..,,,,mine is out of sammies best.

Re: border collie doing his thing - 09/18/20 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by west river rogue
Originally Posted by Providence Farm

starts with the blood.....mine was abca registered from a working dog family (black angus)snd the biggest issue with mine is to stop him from herding. Not an issue anymore but its just in him. Training isnt so hard.
As keith C pointed out many months back ,theres dogs for show and dogs for working. I chose abca registered because they are all about working dogs .....akc not so much..,,,,mine is out of sammies best.

So about the same as for bird dogs. The show people created dogs that are no longer suited for their original purpose.

I think ours is abca but we never bothered to send on her puppy papers. She looks like an Australia shepherd in color. We saw how incredible her dad was with the autistic boy in the breeders family and were so impressed we waited two years to get a pup from him. She is around 4 now. She will kill ground hogs, and watch and baby sit every baby animal we bring in the house and will not leave them. From chicks to bunnies.

But like bird dogs I'm guessing a knowledgable trainer and handler makes all the difference

If you are ever doing any herding and don't mine an observer or 2 I would love to learn and not it looks like I'm not to far away to for me drive over maybe 1.5 to 2 hours. I'm just north of Louisville. Off to google hearding dogs working.

Re: border collie doing his thing - 09/18/20 11:40 AM

if a dog or its parents are akc only they can never be registered abca,and any dog registered abca can be registered akc. By the way....my pups parents came from indiana.

Re: border collie doing his thing - 09/19/20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by west river rogue
if a dog or its parents are akc only they can never be registered abca,and any dog registered abca can be registered akc. By the way....my pups parents came from indiana.

I just showed this thread to my wife. She smiled and chuckled. Our border collie is her dog I get to share.;) she said ours wasn't akc.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: border collie doing his thing - 09/19/20 02:07 PM

Alternative title- even more proof your kid is a handful LOL
Posted By: badger

Re: border collie doing his thing - 09/19/20 04:42 PM

https://workingsheepdog.co.uk/

This is the best sight for dog herding. Requires a subsriction for the full knowledge.

Re: border collie doing his thing - 09/19/20 05:01 PM

Tons of free bc info on the net and u tube...tons.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums