Home

In city varmint removal suggestions?

Posted By: timbremn

In city varmint removal suggestions? - 09/18/20 01:47 AM

Need something to silently take care of rabbits & squirrels that are taking over my backyard. Any suggestions? I am thinking maybe an air rifle or pistol. Living in the city.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: In city varmint removal suggestions? - 09/18/20 01:51 AM

They do make some very good air rifles but they're pricey. Otherwise .22 CB are very quiet and snappy.
Or squirrels would be very easy in a Havahart.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: In city varmint removal suggestions? - 09/18/20 01:53 AM

Dog

Re: In city varmint removal suggestions? - 09/18/20 01:58 AM

I'd love a dog, but I would have to get rid of my wife.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: In city varmint removal suggestions? - 09/18/20 02:00 AM

Dogs are great, until they die. If you love your dog, that's a very tough loss to take.

Re: In city varmint removal suggestions? - 09/18/20 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Dogs are great, until they die. If you love your dog, that's a very tough loss to take.

I've had a few and I know the feeling.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: In city varmint removal suggestions? - 09/18/20 02:11 AM

Boxes with traps inside conibears or coil springs. I think the name is koro that makes a good squirrel trap. Just get them used to going into the box to eat and then set em up. Out of sight from prying eyes. Rabbits can be caught in wood box traps or cage traps I've used body grips on the farm years ago in trails but in town I wouldn't do that. Good luck. The wife wont let me catch anything she can see from the house. Says they are yard critters and she likes them so then I've got to be REALLY discreet. When they start to become a problem. Traps in log cubbies in the wood pile I've done cage traps in the yard waste compost pile, new bird house with an extra wide opening lots of possibilities. Have fun!
Posted By: Urbancoon

Re: In city varmint removal suggestions? - 09/19/20 04:15 AM

Don't have many rabbits here, but squirrels are easy to catch in cage traps.

I put a peanut in the back, a peanut near the entrance and a peanut twist-tied above the pan--Duke 5x5x16" cage traps.

Posted By: Nelly

Re: In city varmint removal suggestions? - 09/19/20 04:29 AM

I really wanted to reply, but Trapsetter said it all.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: In city varmint removal suggestions? - 09/19/20 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by timbremn
I'd love a dog, but I would have to get rid of my wife.

Well..... Some here might see that as an upgrade.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: In city varmint removal suggestions? - 09/19/20 09:52 AM

I would not use any form of foothold or body grip. This is where you will find potential liability. A cage trap is the way to go. Squirrels super easy. Use corn. Rabbits are tougher especially in summer when natural vegetation is green. Carrots, cabbage or brussel sprouts.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: In city varmint removal suggestions? - 09/19/20 09:52 AM

cage traps
Posted By: Albert Burns

Re: In city varmint removal suggestions? - 09/19/20 11:40 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: In city varmint removal suggestions? - 09/19/20 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Trap Setter
Boxes with traps inside conibears or coil springs. I think the name is koro that makes a good squirrel trap. Just get them used to going into the box to eat and then set em up. Out of sight from prying eyes. Rabbits can be caught in wood box traps or cage traps I've used body grips on the farm years ago in trails but in town I wouldn't do that. Good luck. The wife wont let me catch anything she can see from the house. Says they are yard critters and she likes them so then I've got to be REALLY discreet. When they start to become a problem. Traps in log cubbies in the wood pile I've done cage traps in the yard waste compost pile, new bird house with an extra wide opening lots of possibilities. Have fun!

Yes lots of cage trap options
© 2024 Trapperman Forums