Home

Off topic - Bear hunting

Posted By: BernieB.

Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/19/20 05:37 PM

So much politics these days, how about just enjoy some trail cam photos and videos of bears!
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 03:27 AM

Tell me about the one with ear tags.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 03:28 AM

I like it! Always enjoy your videos.

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Tell me about the one with ear tags.

I know nothing other than it's been tagged by the DNR. He's a TOAD.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 11:06 AM

I have never shot a bear. I petted one when I was a lad, and it ruined me for life.
A rug. Not a real one. tired
Maybe it's a good thing my uncle didn't have coyote pelts in his hunting cabin.
Might've never been a trapper. smirk

Posted By: 3togo

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 11:19 AM

The ear tags are interesting. Could be a study bear or a problem bear.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 12:30 PM

You're going to guide next year, Bernie? Do you have to lease bait sites or is it land you get permission to hunt? That's a lot of work baiting bears you don't intend to hunt this year. I've been lugging bait seven days a week for the last seven weeks. Had two hunters take two bear. Nothing big. 235# dry sow and a boar about the same size.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 12:44 PM

Nice production, thanks for sharing. I baited and shot some nice bears with compound bow several years ago. Kind of rekindles the interest!

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 12:44 PM

I've never shot a bear either. Never have hunted for one. We have black bear in these parts (public land) but baiting isn't legal. Any tips on hunting bear without baiting?
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 01:02 PM

In Ontario ear tags are put on a bear 🐻 when it gets trapped by Mnr. Identify location of catch and release information. They usually get 2 strikes your out ,but some get lucky. Having a lot of problems with them this year. Three in the past week snooping around camp biggest about 350 got a slug for him if he starts to be a fool. But otherwise I let them go about their business so long as they don't bother stuff.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by J Staton
I've never shot a bear either. Never have hunted for one. We have black bear in these parts (public land) but baiting isn't legal. Any tips on hunting bear without baiting?

Save up and go To open country. WEST

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

Save up and go To open country. WEST

I will be going west, about ten miles to the Ouachita National Forest. smile
Do adult male black bears tend to use the same denning site year in and year out as long as food is available?
Posted By: virgil1972

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 02:57 PM

Girl by me shot one. They say about 760 pounds live weight.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by virgil1972
Girl by me shot one. They say about 760 pounds live weight.

Dang

Originally Posted by BernieB.

I know nothing other than it's been tagged by the DNR. He's a TOAD.

Which eat better the young ones or the big fluffy lookin' bears like him?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 09:34 PM

Western States ...open terrain...spot and stalk hunting
Posted By: Born

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 10:18 PM

back on topic

Might have to give that a try. I probably have to apply 3 or 4 more years the way they are managing bears here now. i read they are trying to bring the sow age up?

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Posco
You're going to guide next year, Bernie? Do you have to lease bait sites or is it land you get permission to hunt? That's a lot of work baiting bears you don't intend to hunt this year. I've been lugging bait seven days a week for the last seven weeks. Had two hunters take two bear. Nothing big. 235# dry sow and a boar about the same size.

Baits imprint on the bear's memory so it's good to get them going early. Really planning to provide a high quality experience and I want to do my best to put a good bear in front of everyone. That's the reason for the extra work and expense.

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Born
back on topic

Might have to give that a try. I probably have to apply 3 or 4 more years the way they are managing bears here now. i read they are trying to bring the sow age up?

The two zones I am hunting in require 2-4 points to draw.

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 10:24 PM

There are some areas of Arkansas where baiting is legal.

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 10:26 PM

Bear hunting guiding for next year: https://www.bucksbullsbears.com/bear-hunting-outfitting/[url=https://www.bucksbullsbears.com/bear-hunting-outfitting/][/url]

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/20/20 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.

There are some areas of Arkansas where baiting is legal.

You can on private land. If I were to try it would be national forest. I'll have to go about it differently. Maybe stand hunt? Bernie do male black bear tend to travel the perimeter of their home range or tend to work their whole range in the fall while fattening up?
Posted By: bandy

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/21/20 12:27 AM

Our early 3 day season opens this week and you can use dogs or any other way just not bait choice of weapons.

Re: Off topic - Bear hunting - 09/21/20 01:53 AM

You can on private land. If I were to try it would be national forest. I'll have to go about it differently. Maybe stand hunt? Bernie do male black bear tend to travel the perimeter of their home range or tend to work their whole range in the fall while fattening up?[/quote]

Male black bears go where the food is. Don't put much stock in home ranges, find where they are feeding.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums