Home

Muzzleloader bullets

Posted By: greenetrapper

Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 07:03 PM

I have a beautiful traditions vortek strikerfire. I have had it for 4 years and have yet to use it LOL. This is going to be the year because they are extending hunting season in New York. Any tips on bullets loads what powder you guys are using would be appreciated. I know I have to experiment with my muzzleloader but this should get me started. Do you guys prefer sabot or full size 50 caliber bullets
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 07:19 PM

I shoot T/C shockwave sabots with 2 50gr pellets.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 07:19 PM

I'm a fan of Minnie ball type bullets.

I currently am using Great Plains.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 07:28 PM

Patch and Hornady roundball in my .54 Cal Thompson renegade caplock.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 07:31 PM

I use Barnes expanders with 2 50 grain pellets

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Patch and Hornady roundball in my .54 Cal Thompson renegade caplock.

That brings up a good point. What's your twist rate?

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 07:40 PM

1/28
Posted By: Machias

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 07:44 PM

Check out No Excuse bullets. Fantastic muzzy bullets. https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by greenetrapper
1/28

You'll want a sabot bullet.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob
I shoot T/C shockwave sabots with 2 50gr pellets.

I believe those are made by Hornady.
Posted By: coop

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 08:11 PM

120 gr loose(weighed) 777 and a Precision Rifle 240gr Dead Center bullet w/ a Remington black powder primer.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 08:17 PM

2 triple 777 pellets and power belt sabbot
Posted By: keystone

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 08:19 PM

I’ve shot a lot of black powder and by far the cleanest and for me the most accurate black powder substitute is Blackhorn 209 powder. It doesn’t come in pellet form, it’s loose powder but has got to be 2x if not 3x’s cleaner than 777 or any other substitutes i’ve used. As far as bullets give the Harvester PT Gold a try, i believe there 250gr, they might be 260. There very similar to shockwaves but not near as expensive. I’ve bought them in 50 packs. With that combo i’m under 1” groups at 100yds with my cva accura.
Posted By: garymc

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 08:24 PM

Hornady SST sabot/bullet over 120 grains of loose fffg equivalent Triple 7 powder with Federal Champion 209A primers.

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 08:24 PM

Thanks to all I have some Triple 7 pellets and some white hots that I'm going to try. I also have some power belts and I'm definitely going to get some shockwaves
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 08:38 PM

I agree with the Blackhorn powder. Much much cleaner. I use Barnes Expanders or Traditions Smackdowns. Get about the same 3” pattern at 100yds with either using 90gr of Blackhorn. Beyond 100yds I’m a little too shaky to make a consistent shot.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 10:20 PM

.490 Hornady roundballs with a .018" pillow ticking patch lubed with vegetable shortening in my .50 cal Mike Miller flintlock.
Posted By: Davexx1

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 10:46 PM

You will want/need to shoot the gun with different bullet/powder combinations to see which combination shoots best in your gun. Keep good notes and the actual target on the performance of each combo tried. Be sure to clean the gun well after each shooting session. You may need to dry patch or swab the barrel and dry in between each shot to help with consistent loading pressure. Good luck.

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 10:47 PM

1:48 compromise twist shoot round or conical nor really perfect for either. Mine is sighted in at 80 yards with 90 grains of pyrodex

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 10:48 PM

Pike River^^^^^^°
Posted By: midlander

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 11:02 PM

Try the Blackhorn 209 once and youll throw all the other crap away. It is MUCH friendlier on the barrel and since it is loose, it is much more consistent than pellets. As far as bullets, Ive had excellent results from barnes. They are a little more money than the rest, but you get what you pay for. Every barrel is a little different, but my Thompson Prohunter will cloverleaf at 100 yards with 110 grains of Blackhorn and Barnes 245 gr or 250 gr sabot. Be patient and work up a load that works for your gun...have fun with it.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 11:17 PM

This Blackhorn powder everyone is crowing about. Can or could it be used behind patched round ball in a Tradition deer hunter caplock? I have several #s of 777 loose that does work well for me. The cleaner part sounds good, on range day. But hunting I wonder. Cleaning a muzzy is part of my fun, not sure why, but I don't mind it.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/20/20 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
This Blackhorn powder everyone is crowing about. Can or could it be used behind patched round ball in a Tradition deer hunter caplock? I have several #s of 777 loose that does work well for me. The cleaner part sounds good, on range day. But hunting I wonder. Cleaning a muzzy is part of my fun, not sure why, but I don't mind it.

no it takes a hot 209 ignition in some cases with a special breech plug to get the pressures it needs to set it off

I shoot real black , it isn't any harder to clean than any of the subs

Buckhorn 209 is also pricy around 40 dollars for 14oz if your using 110gr a load your looking at 72 cents a load in powder

buckhorn209 is a propelan with a pressure curve closet to black powder but it takes the right amount of pressure to set it off , more than a cap can make

I used 777 90gr under a 385gr Hornady great plains conical it killed deer well
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/21/20 12:50 AM

I like shooting the way our ancestors did. Got no problem with those that dont but I enjoy patching a round ball and smelling black powder smoke. Dont have a flinter yet but one is on my to buy list
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/21/20 12:58 AM

Good thread!
Posted By: trap master

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/21/20 01:22 AM

I too like a traditional muzzleloader, but if your shootin an inline i cant imagine why anyone is still shooting any of those other powders. Blackhorn 209 is the only way to go.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Muzzleloader bullets - 09/21/20 02:16 AM

300 grain thor copper bullet with 100 grain black horn 209 in the online

Round ball and 80 grain of real black powder in the flinty
© 2024 Trapperman Forums