Home

Barn rats - rat poison?

Posted By: gwm

Barn rats - rat poison? - 09/22/20 02:11 PM

Hello,
I have found some barn rats this year and wondering if poison is the most effective method of controlling population. Also do cats eat the poison? I have never used poison.

Or is there an effective trapping method? I have only found three but one was small like a young one so are figuring there are more.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Barn rats - rat poison? - 09/22/20 02:13 PM

Tracking powder!!
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Barn rats - rat poison? - 09/22/20 02:19 PM

I would be careful using poison, if the rat goes out side to die and something eats the rat it could kill the animal also. JMO
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Barn rats - rat poison? - 09/22/20 02:25 PM

Cats may eat poisoned rats and become poisoned.

Traps and poison both help but you need to remove as many food sources as you can. If you can't do that you will never be rid of them. Like coyotes they just keep moving in.

If you can find somebody with a pair of rat dogs and ferrets you will see a show and kill a bunch of them.

this guy does it with mink but its the same thing

Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Barn rats - rat poison? - 09/22/20 02:25 PM

Secondary poisoning doesn’t happen often anymore if your using legal poison methods.
You would have to have a single animal eating every dead rat they find for multiple days
And it still would likely not kill them.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Barn rats - rat poison? - 09/22/20 02:30 PM

I poison if they will eat it ,usually have to juggle poisons to keep killing . Also poison has to be fastened down or they will sometimes store it ,I usually drill a hole in the block of poison and nail it to a 2X4 .
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Barn rats - rat poison? - 09/22/20 02:39 PM

That's a really cool video! Looks like a lot of fun. What kind of dogs are those?

Years ago, we raised mink. I had a platinum mink that would crawl on my shoulder and let me pick him up.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Barn rats - rat poison? - 09/22/20 02:46 PM

dogs might be a stephens cur
Posted By: gwm

Re: Barn rats - rat poison? - 09/22/20 02:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Have a great day!
Posted By: run

Re: Barn rats - rat poison? - 09/22/20 03:14 PM

X2 on Danny's idea.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Barn rats - rat poison? - 09/23/20 04:17 PM

If you saw 3, you got a lot more... trapping them is fun but they'll out breed you, poison just plain works,
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Barn rats - rat poison? - 09/23/20 04:34 PM

The price went up, bought a bucket last spring for $14.99, bought same size last week for $18.99 same place.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Barn rats - rat poison? - 09/23/20 04:57 PM

I have a body grip rat set up that is killer. It can be made cat proof as well. Kittens might be able to get in but not adult cats. I’ll get a pick tomorrow.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Barn rats - rat poison? - 09/23/20 05:40 PM

That was good watchin' Danny! Thanks for posting.

Down where I am the rattle snakes will move in and thin out the rats for you. I wish I could say it is a good thing to have around a feed yard or sale barn but it isn't.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Barn rats - rat poison? - 09/23/20 05:56 PM

Just one Bite. Bars / seems to work well.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Barn rats - rat poison? - 09/23/20 06:01 PM

That was an intriguing video. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Barn rats - rat poison? - 09/24/20 07:39 PM

To make dog proof I put a milk crate over it and stake it down with a tbar. Works well. Bottle cap and peanut butter.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums