Home

Beef Killers going down

Posted By: Bob Jameson

Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 06:30 PM

Been working a job for an operation that lost a young beef ( Approx. 175# - 200# live weight ). The coyotes seemed to avoid some locations and capture for a while. Put out several trail cams to verify I wasn't getting visitations and missing them.

Made some changes with fill in sets and odors along the way. So much feed in this part of the county deer and turkey populations are extremely high. They didn't have to move much to make a living. Very good rough country and cover all over this area but the weather has started to cool down into the upper 30's at night the last few days and they have begun to move obviously.

A few catches last few days and 3 today. 2 Adults and 5 Young dogs about 32# > 35#. Most likely a family unit local to the area.
Hope to close this out in a week or so. Several fox released.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 06:48 PM

Pretty rewarding feeling when you can help solve a problem. Nice catch!
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 06:52 PM

Nice work Bob I bet that made for a happy farmer
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 06:53 PM

Looks good Bob.

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 07:21 PM

This general area has been known for predation for many years by coyotes. A sheep farm just a few miles over a ridge I worked 22 years ago. Now they are getting a taste for beef. With all the deer I was skeptical that the yotes were targeting cattle now. Unpredictable they are.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 07:45 PM

Good job Mr Jameson. I must say I was impressed with the coyote urine I got from you It smell almost as good as the SMC urine I got from Texas I will order Coyote urine from you again!
Posted By: hippie

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 07:50 PM

Nice job!

How big of cattle were they taking?
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 08:01 PM

Great job! Thanks for sharing the pics too!
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 08:51 PM

I had no idea coyote would take cattle. It makes since I feel dumb never thinking about it. I guess it just not common around here.

How did you get those 3 coyotes to lay so still for the picture?
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 09:02 PM

Good job thanks for the pics. Makes me want to get after them!
Posted By: cotton

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
I had no idea coyote would take cattle. It makes since I feel dumb never thinking about it. I guess it just not common around here.

How did you get those 3 coyotes to lay so still for the picture?

Bob done broke em to lead and play dead
Posted By: Northwing70

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 10:11 PM

Good lookin' catch. Congrats!
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 10:16 PM

Nice. Thanks for sharing Bob
Posted By: Rally

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 10:20 PM

Looks good Bob. Do you get that much color variation in the same litter?
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 10:43 PM

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 10:58 PM

Not real common in these parts to lose cattle to coyotes. Been a while since I heard of such a case. Sheep get hit pretty hard regularly around here.

All young coyotes were caught within a couple hundred yards of the woods pasture area. Very steep country there in areas. All caught within sight of each other. Some had high hackles some not so much.

All those yotes were dancing when I pulled up. I had been asked by the farm foreman as part of our contract to confirm all coyote catches by an on sight farm employee. So I must wait at times until one is available to drive to where I am at the time.. Those coyotes settle down for a bit then start dancing all over again. I have to wait between their dancing to get photos that aren't blurred. A worker is usually pretty quick to arrive. The owner requested these guidelines.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 11:01 PM

Awesome Job!!!
Posted By: GotFur3

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 11:14 PM

Great job!!!
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 11:19 PM

Way to go Bob, did you use your peach jelly for bait?
Posted By: Savell

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 11:52 PM

.. good deal ... that cool weather got them walking
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/22/20 11:58 PM

Nice job Bob.

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 12:17 AM

I save that peach jam for my ice cream and my sandwiches for lunch Jim. I have lots of other goodies to offer those stink dogs. Got some after birth today from an aborted animal on the farm. Always good to use that when available in a birthing area.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 12:59 AM

Mr. Jameson- the Kansas guys will never shut up about your skill as a predator trapper. I am sure this producer feels fortunate to have you on the job.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 10:29 AM

job well done !! smile
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 11:00 AM

Good read. When you get after birth in a jar for sale I'm coming to see you.
In my couple experiences with beef eaters, they get the taste and don't stop. Not all the dogs in the county just the taste tester group. Get those ones and done, the way I read this mirrors this "theory".
Keep on keeping on Bob. I'm currently having spider problems with the cool down lol.

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 11:14 AM

Got a placenta cut up in manageable pieces last nite to put out today. That should spike some interest as always with some spooky dogs. This is from a horse so the odor will be a bit different.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 11:53 AM

Nice looking property.That "funnel" pinch point where the corn almost meets the wood line is begging for a trap. smile
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 01:00 PM

WTG!
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 01:08 PM

Bob

Them coyotes can see the infrared trail cams and will avoid the area once they been flashed. The blackout cams dont seem to bother them at all.

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 06:42 PM

John,

No dogs on cams any place before I started catching them. Either they weren't moving in the areas yet or the heat was causing them to hold their activity to a minimum. Just like you opened the flood gates and here they came. I still have your Styrofoam cooler saved for you John when you get down this way. Gotta get it back to you so you can fill it up again this winter. smile

Just got back from running the line. One adult female dog 43#. Had a litter this spring it appears. 5 coon, a cat, 1 red fox and 5 opossum. Several screen scratch outs from sets by coon. A few remakes due to deer firing traps. Getting lots of set making practice daily.

Caught 11 coon from these two sets over the last 2 weeks until it connected on a dog. Changing some sets appearance, putting in a new set here and there then adding some different bait and lure combos got their interest. I think I am getting dialed in now just need to be patient now and they will come.

Put a bit of placenta around the line today. Have to wait and see if it is a big help or just another odor.

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 06:48 PM

[Linked Image]

One view of catch location

[Linked Image]

Opposite view of location heading to cover and power line right of way.

[Linked Image]

Another young red before release to run another day

[Linked Image]

Funnel point location. 1 double and 1 single caught here. Dirt hole and a Marking Scent Post set up. A productive combo for me in these situations

[Linked Image]

Opposite view coming out of the funnel set up into the open agricultural area. Dirt hole is first and the Scent object is just past the DH about 10-12 feet.

[Linked Image]

2 track road side view of Dirt Hole from the travel lane.

[Linked Image]

Dirt Hole as viewed by the animal on approach to the hole presentation. Opposite side of travel lane.

[Linked Image]

Approach area to the location from a better angle.

[Linked Image]

Marking Scent object viewed as a close up. Old piece of rock and a small chip of hardtop I found lying close by. These locations are getting worn out. If we get more rain I may be done here. Will have to move my locations to virgin ground due to so much mud from the fine ground up dirt.

[Linked Image]

Some dig out hole sets on locations in a barren field. They are getting burned out and will mud up badly with rain and another couple catches.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Michael Morris

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 06:49 PM

Very nice! Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 07:01 PM

Bob,

Leave some for seed brother!
Nice job.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
[Linked Image]

One view of catch location

[Linked Image]

Opposite view of location heading to cover and power line right of way.

[Linked Image]

Another young red before release to run another day

[Linked Image]

Funnel point location. 1 double and 1 single caught here. Dirt hole and a Marking Scent Post set up. A productive combo for me in these situations

[Linked Image]

Opposite view coming out of the funnel set up into the open agricultural area. Dirt hole is first and the Scent Post is just past the DH about 10-12 feet.

[Linked Image]

2 track road side view of Dirt Hole from the travel lane.

[Linked Image]

Dirt Hole as viewed by the animal on approach to the hole presentation. Opposite side of travel lane.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is that a skeet and trap shooting range in the background of the first pic?

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 07:30 PM

Yes that is a skeet range.
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 08:26 PM

Nice work

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 09:48 PM

Mark I would think your guide lines on coyote control are the same there as they are most places with predation problems. The owners want you to give those dogs a good spanking as best as is possible for time of year and conditions as well as the time vested in each job length.

That language is a bit kind as to what is really stated when a perspective client speaks his mind when referring to their experience with coyotes. No fair chase, no fur considerations and no leaving seed if possible. We both know within a few weeks after hitting an area hard that other coyotes will surely drift back into the vacant habitat pretty quick. All depending upon the time of year, temps and the predator population per square mile.

We have such excellent carrying capacity here for deer and coyotes both. Feed and weather conditions are generally favorable year round. Neither wants for much at any time. This job has the potentional to turn into a full time position for someone. If any more cattle or foals are attacked or killed that could be the determining factor if there is a budget for it..
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 09:52 PM

Nice post Bob. Thanks for sharing.
I got called on a sheep kill. The guy put a lama in with them and the killing stopped for now. He lost a sheep four nights in a row. May not set till season if he doesn’t loose anymore sheep. Not far from there yotes killed a dog about a month ago. Bad yotes. I need to spend some quality time with them and teach them to be good yotes. Lol
Posted By: Cletis Richards

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 10:12 PM

Got a question Bob ? Do you offset to the left? Good job and great pics

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 10:56 PM

Mark I would think your guide lines on coyote control are the same there as they are most places with predation problems. The owners want you to give those dogs a good spanking as best as is possible for time of year and conditions as well as the time vested in each job length.

That language is a bit kind as to what is really stated when a perspective client speaks his mind when referring to their experience with coyotes. No fair chase, no fur considerations and no leaving seed if possible. We both know within a few weeks after hitting an area hard that other coyotes will surely drift back into the vacant habitat pretty quick. All depending upon the time of year, temps and the predator population per square mile.

We have such excellent carrying capacity here for deer and coyotes both. Feed and weather conditions are generally favorable year round. Neither wants for much at any time. This job has the protentional to turn into a full time position for someone. If any more cattle or foals are attacked or killed that could be the determining factor if there is a budget for it..

It was tongue in cheek my supreme lure making friend. Stack 'em up! Thanks for the ride along.
Hope all is well with you.
Blessings,
Mark

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 11:19 PM

I figured as much Mark. smile

Cletis I have and do both on certain types of sets. Some are left some right. Sometimes straight back. On the large flashy dig out type sets I set closer and at 6 o'clock

I use something like a fire axe with a digger blade on working out the area faster and easier then using a small digging hammer. Also use a heavy duty drill with a 3 ft auger for holes and another drill set up with a 16 inch 5/8" masonry bit to pilot my cable stake holes. Makes things a bit easier and faster for this old man.

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 11:22 PM

Old man?
Nah. You 're just hitting your stride.
I bet one of your sets now-a-days connects the same ratio as 12 sets did when you was a pup.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 11:34 PM

Now that is probably true Mark. I set up my first double set location and got a double on the second nite. Just more lucky now i guess. ) I find myself thinking about all that I have learned along the way when I trap. It is all automatic methodology now. No thinking much just auto pilot when and how to do things. How nice it would be to be able to pass it all along to a hungry young trapper with the drive and motivation to handle it all. smile

i work alone mostly since not many want to work that hard or long with me. Once i get in stride now after a couple of weeks on a job i can run a long time at a steady speed.

As long as i get my rest and don't have to worry about the wife all day i can still push hard.
Posted By: rvsask

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 11:34 PM

Good job on the yote control. I love killing them. What’s interesting most to me is that they kill cattle, my neighbours and friends are cattle ranchers and we discuss such things. They tell me they’ve never lost a cow or even calf to a coyote. I wonder why the regional difference in their behaviour?

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 11:39 PM

Now that is probably true Mark. I set up my first double set location and got a double on the second nite. Just more lucky now i guess. ) I find myself thinking about all that I have learned along the way when I trap. It is all automatic methodology now. No thinking much just auto pilot when and how to do things. How nice it would be to be able to pass it all along to a hungry young trapper with the drive and motivation to handle it all. smile

i work alone mostly since not many want to work that hard or long with me. Once i get in stride now after a couple of weeks on a job i can run a long time at a steady speed.

As long as i get my rest and don't have to worry about the wife all day i can still push hard.

I smiled all through this post Bob. I have a young man of which you speak, that came and worked with me on a Texas job in 100 degree heat and after a couple days of getting acclimated, reminded me of me when I was in my 20's. He is skilled and just would not stop. Early till late. I found myself loving every minute of passing on what old war barons like you and I have gathered. I hope to repeat. I like you brother, wish there were many more like them.

Be safe, clean up all the doggies, and give 'em a real handshake (no c-19 bump) when you leave.
Thanks again.
Blessings,
Mark

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/23/20 11:44 PM

I have only documented a few cattle attacks and actual kill sites of young beef cattle from coyotes. I believe the location of the herd in the steep hardwood hill area may have helped to contribute to the opportunity. The herd doesn't have much human contact from what I was told and is a bit wild and very spooky in general. I would think that the frequent harassment from the coyotes contributed to their spooky behavior.

The coyotes cleaned up that young steer quickly. Had to have been several feeding and gorging dogs to clean it up so fast.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/24/20 12:23 AM

Bob

I'll try and get down to see you , got some fresh mule deer buck for you to snack on. If your up this way stop by.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/24/20 12:53 AM

Great job, Bob!

I had to laugh out loud at the 6th picture, though; the one with the fence charger sitting on the old park bench...

EVERY single one of those benches I've ever seen ends up looking exactly like that one!
Posted By: Wife

Re: Beef Killers going down - 09/25/20 04:37 AM

"We have such excellent carrying capacity here for deer and coyote both"A very good observation for those who evaluate your pictures Bob. Real life animal populations can be above or below that K (carrying capacity) increasing or decreasing (going up or coming down) but the quality shown in the pictures reveals it won't be long before any decrease is reversed to an increase with that type of food/cover/water...... Nice picts of the landscape/use.......... the mike
© 2024 Trapperman Forums