Home

Light duty chainsaw?

Posted By: Jim H

Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 03:20 AM

Looking for something to clear downed trees across my trails and clear shooting lanes. 4.5 acres, trees are maybe 8 to 12 inch diameter. It won't see a lot of regular use but I want one that will reliably fire up! Would like to stay around $200.
Posted By: Spade

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 03:32 AM

I use a Poulin 16 inch for around 150.00 from Wallys World, have been using it since 2012, and no problems. I cut 20 cord of wood, plus all the trimming. Cheap enough that I can junk it when it bites the dust.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 04:04 AM

echo
buy it some where they will start it up and tune it

only use the premix gas in a can you won't likely use more than a can or two a year , and most places out east you can't get real gas nor mix little enough of it that it will keep long enough to use it all.

the fuel in a can will keep 2 years un-opened once you open one try and use it up in 6 months

make sure to start it and run it a few minutes a month same as the fire department does to make sure their saws work.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Spade
I use a Poulin 16 inch for around 150.00 from Wallys World, have been using it since 2012, and no problems. I cut 20 cord of wood, plus all the trimming. Cheap enough that I can junk it when it bites the dust.

X2
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 04:28 AM

echo does make a good little saw. I have two of them and really like them both.
I also have a 14 or 16 inch homelite. probably the best small saw I have ever had. The one draw back is it can be hard to start after sitting awhile. Once it does start it is fine.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 05:07 AM

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/outdoor-power-equipment/chainsaws/7000495

This saw has been great for me. Its so easy to start and its a Stihl. Plenty of saw for what you are looking to do, plus!

All you do is slowly pull the rope and it fires right up. If you're like me and get really (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) yanking your guts out trying to start a small engine this is for you.

Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 08:37 AM

MS 170 Stihl, During dealer days, or during a sale $159.00 regular $179.00 I use this saw for all my trim work. I use a Stihl 261C for all bucking and bigger stuff. the 170 is a little workhorse,
Posted By: lindner115

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
MS 170 Stihl, During dealer days, or during a sale $159.00 regular $179.00 I use this saw for all my trim work. I use a Stihl 261C for all bucking and bigger stuff. the 170 is a little workhorse,

I agree with this fella, check out the base model Stihls.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 10:34 AM

I heard about a gal the other day that bought a chainsaw, wore it out, and had to go buy another one. She wasn't aware you could tighten the chain. laugh
Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 11:01 AM

I bought a cheap Poulon after selling my 35 year old Stihl. The thing almost was sold cheap after a month, chain always loosened up after 5 minutes of use. I bought an Oregon brand chain for it and it has been fine ever since. I do wish I had bought another Stihl, I use the chainsaw more than I thought I would.
Posted By: Polecatt

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 11:43 AM

Echo has a 5 year warranty
Posted By: Albert Burns

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
echo
buy it some where they will start it up and tune it

only use the premix gas in a can you won't likely use more than a can or two a year , and most places out east you can't get real gas nor mix little enough of it that it will keep long enough to use it all.

the fuel in a can will keep 2 years un-opened once you open one try and use it up in 6 months

make sure to start it and run it a few minutes a month same as the fire department does to make sure their saws work.

^ This. I bought the smallest Echo they make a few years back,under 200.00 and an excellent saw. I always run the canned fuel in it. They also have a 5 year homeowner warranty if needed.I also have a 30 year old Poulan, that I got at a pawn shop back then for 15.00 as it was missing the bar and chain. I believe it is a 14" Tiger Shark model,you cannot kill that saw.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 12:04 PM

Then get whatever Husqvarna saw you can get for 200. Personally I would pay more for a pro model and you will likely have the saw for life.
Posted By: old243

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 01:00 PM

I have had pioneer, homelite, 2 stihls all good saws. They wore out , the last one got too heavy , as I got older. Looked at sthil and echo , when I bought my last smaller saw. I was not impressed with the amount of plastic parts on the sthil. Bought the echo,290 . So far has been a good saw. Replaced carb under warranty, It was my fault, put chain oil , in gas tank. Also have a dealer , for service close by. old243
Posted By: chicken1

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 03:10 PM

I am another vote for the stihl 170. Very good power for the weight. Good at taking abuse. Many tree service's hand them out to the ground crews around here.

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 03:47 PM

Thanks guys. Right now I'm leaning towards a Stihl based on the comments and having a dealer 5 miles down the road.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 04:16 PM

I try to buy poulans for less than $100. If your mind is made up then brand is mute, but I always get the longest bar and chain it will pull. You would really be surprised how much 2" makes when stooping down or trying to get that limp just out of reach. I got to be careful esp. on reaching up, I'm getting weak and can't hold it up like I used to. Had a buddy that was cutting overhead and let it come down across his leg, a bunch of stitches and six months later good as new, well not really, nothing is as good as when you were 20, except hind sight and I've forgot a lot of that.

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
I try to buy poulans for less than $100. If your mind is made up then brand is mute,

My mind was not already made up, that's why I asked for opinions. The only one it's made up on is no Poulans. That's what I'm replacing. 14" Wood Shark I bought new on clearance from Target about 20 years ago. It was a pain to start and keep running right out of the box. For $40 and not really having a use for it then, I didn't care. Now I need one and do care!
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jim H
Thanks guys. Right now I'm leaning towards a Stihl based on the comments and having a dealer 5 miles down the road.

Ask them about the saws with the easy start. They will cost just a little more but I'm telling you it is great.

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

Ask them about the saws with the easy start. They will cost just a little more but I'm telling you it is great.

Thanks I will. It might be a plus if my wife wants to use it.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 04:55 PM

I try to buy poulans for less than $100. If your mind is made up then brand is mute, but I always get the longest bar and chain it will pull. You would really be surprised how much 2" makes when stooping down or trying to get that limp just out of reach. I got to be careful esp. on reaching up, I'm getting weak and can't hold it up like I used to. Had a buddy that was cutting overhead and let it come down across his leg, a bunch of stitches and six months later good as new, well not really, nothing is as good as when you were 20, except hind sight and I've forgot a lot of that.

I have to say get the smallest bar you will need as the longer you go the more filing you will do, more weight, more there to bend, more expensive, and the more it robs the engine of power- especially when you are talking about a small saw.

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391

I have to say get the smallest bar you will need as the longer you go the more filing you will do, more weight, more there to bend, more expensive, and the more it robs the engine of power- especially when you are talking about a small saw.

I'd be happy with 14 or 16". I'm not planning on dropping trees, just clearing trails. We have a pellet stove so I know it won't be used for firewood!
Posted By: Coon Duke

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 05:36 PM

Give the Husky 440e a look. It cuts like a 50cc saw and handles like a 35 cc saw.

If you want a super reliable starter look at Echo.

I have a Husky 440e and a Stihl MS180 and I like the Husky better all around. Great little saw.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 06:01 PM

With your low use, go battery. It will always start if the battery is charged, no matter how long it sits.

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/23/20 09:11 PM

I did look at battery but couldn't justify the additional cost vs. run time. Yes, I won't use it very often but when I do the run times will not be long enough with out additional, expensive batteries. I would rather properly maintain a gas saw
Posted By: Coon Duke

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/24/20 12:17 AM

I did look at battery but couldn't justify the additional cost vs. run time. Yes, I won't use it very often but when I do the run times will not be long enough with out additional, expensive batteries. I would rather properly maintain a gas saw

Just use non-ethanol gas and your should be fine.
Posted By: run

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/24/20 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by JTfromWV
With your low use, go battery. It will always start if the battery is charged, no matter how long it sits.

This is my dream saw. I already have the high capacity battery. I just need the bare chainsaw.
Posted By: wannabe1

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/24/20 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds

THIS.....best little saw EVER
Posted By: charles

Re: Light duty chainsaw? - 09/24/20 01:44 AM

Everybody will have a different opinion. I had a Pollan and a Dayton, an identical saw with another name in the early 70s. Ran them to death cutting fire wood. Bought another one around 2010 and it didn’t last five hours.

Get a Stihl, Husky, or Echo. If you don’t you will pull your arm out of socket trying to crank them some day. A few dollars more at first is well worth it over the lifetime of the saw. Trust me.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums