Home

Coyotes and diesel fuel

Posted By: Marten Ted

Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/23/20 11:58 PM

Hey guys, hope you are all doing well. I just got done replacing the fuel filter on my truck and it reminded me of something. (my dog smelled my hand and thought it was interesting) I read an article once (don't remember where) about some guy that made a coyote set using diesel fuel as an attractant. Setting around spills etc. Anyone ever heard of this? I remember just thinking that it was really fascinating and was curious if anyone knows more about this. Seems very weird but maybe not out of the question, especially for coyotes that frequent agricultural areas?
Posted By: white17

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 12:33 AM

Not coyotes but several years back there was some research done to determine what was the best attractant for wolverines.

It seems to me that it was done by Gulo and Audrey Mcgoun. Then again, Pete in Fairbanks may have been in on it.

Anyway, the thing that turned out to be best was 80/87 octane avgas. This was back in the day when there was lead in the gas and 80/87 was used in every Cub that was chasing wolverines & wolves.

80/87 is no longer produced.

Maybe Gulo or Pete will respond
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 12:47 AM

I have gas addicted squirrels , they leave diesel alone and they leave bar and chain oil alone

but the gas cap on my rototiller is chewed , the ez-pour necks on 5 gas cans have been chewed.

not just one oddball squirrel with the number I have trapped around the house and put in the freezer more gas can eaters keep showing up.

Posted By: gregh

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 12:52 AM

If you use diesel fuel in my part of the world you would have hogs rooting your sets up. These hogs love diesel fuel around here.
Posted By: run

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 01:01 AM

Interesting info.
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by gregh
If you use diesel fuel in my part of the world you would have hogs rooting your sets up. These hogs love diesel fuel around here.

That is what I was thinking while reading this post. Diesel would catch hogs here.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 02:06 AM

I have heard from several people about coyotes digging where some diesel spilled. Never seen it myself.
Posted By: oneeyedtrapper

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 02:10 AM

I've seen where timber wolves have dug and rolled in spilled diesel fuel here in MN.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 02:11 AM

My four wheeler use to leak fuel if you didn't turn the gas off when it wasn't running. So I was making a set and got a whiff of gas and sure enough I had left it on and it leaked a bunch a few feet from my set. I thought well I won't catch anything here. Next morning had a yote.
Posted By: bluegrassman

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 03:38 AM

yep they will scratch and dig at spilled diesel fuel. pour some down a dirthole and you can catch them on it.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 04:07 AM

[Linked Image]

I was hired to haul out 19 drums of abandoned jet a from a landing strip in the Richardson’s one year. One drum had a leak and this pack followed the trail for about 15 miles. Took 20 minutes to get them all.
Before I started trapping on a regular basis I was a hard core wolf/wolverine hunter. Those were some great times.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by white17
Not coyotes but several years back there was some research done to determine what was the best attractant for wolverines.

It seems to me that it was done by Gulo and Audrey Mcgoun. Then again, Pete in Fairbanks may have been in on it.

Anyway, the thing that turned out to be best was 80/87 octane avgas. This was back in the day when there was lead in the gas and 80/87 was used in every Cub that was chasing wolverines & wolves.

I never had the chance to use the 80/87 Av gas, but have had good experience around sites where I store 100 LL Aviation fuel.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 05:55 AM

Very interesting
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 01:16 PM

The wild hogs will roll in or rub on anything that has a petroleum product on it. I always assumed it for for flea, tick, and lice control. Mange itself can be cured (killed) with about any type of petroleum applied to the skin so it almost makes you wonder if their attraction is 2 fold

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Mange itself can be cured (killed) with about any type of petroleum applied to the skin so it almost makes you wonder if their attraction is 2 fold

That's an old wives tale. And like most of them, it's not true.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 01:45 PM

Bummer, just took a kero bath for nothing.
Been itchy since the last tick bite.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 01:49 PM

WD40 works great as a salmon and halibut attractant. Wonder how it would work for a trapping lure.

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by M.Magis
Mange itself can be cured (killed) with about any type of petroleum applied to the skin so it almost makes you wonder if their attraction is 2 fold

You can believe what ever you like- I myself have used it on horses, cattle, and dogs. There was once a barn cat with an obvious ring worm and if I could have caught the dern thing I would have cured it with used motor oil too
Posted By: Osky

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 01:57 PM

Up here where the logging outfits fuel up with diesel in the bush there are always wolf tracks checking the spot out. Wether they roll in it I am not sure.

Osky
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 02:14 PM

Long ago I raised beagles and bought a couple new ones and brought in red mange. Took one to the vet and he gave me a bottle of cure all. It did nothing. Was telling an old guy that raised hogs and he said to mix used motor oil and sulfur and keep applied. Thats what I did and it worked. And if one is warned by the educated that used oil has contaminates in it then use new oil, I never did (but I don't live in Californy).
Posted By: DiggerDale

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 02:39 PM

When "Three In One" oil first came out (glass bottle, cork top) it was considered a good trapping lure.....
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by white17

Also, wasn’t it Bushman involved in wolverine studies that found turpentine one of the better attractants ?
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 02:54 PM

Diesel has sulfides in it, not sure about gas. Sulfides is what makes rotten eggs smell. I think rancid butter is also sulfides. Makes cannines want to poop.

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 03:18 PM

I would imagine soy- based biodiesel would be somewhat attractive to canines.

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw

Long ago I raised beagles and bought a couple new ones and brought in red mange. Took one to the vet and he gave me a bottle of cure all. It did nothing. Was telling an old guy that raised hogs and he said to mix used motor oil and sulfur and keep applied. Thats what I did and it worked. And if one is warned by the educated that used oil has contaminates in it then use new oil, I never did (but I don't live in Californy).

Sulfur is what kills the mange, the oil is just the "carrier" to apply the sulfur.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 03:56 PM

Dell Kramer wrote about it in his book

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 04:09 PM

Did you know EVERYONE on the internet knows more about the care of livestock than the guy who actually cares for the livestock?

2020 in a nutshell LOL- you cant make this stuff up
Posted By: hippie

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw

Sulfur is what kills the mange, the oil is just the "carrier" to apply the sulfur.

Yep, look up "hog oiler". Contraption with a wheel that when a big runs on it, it applies oil to the hog.
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 04:15 PM

[img]http://[/img][img]http://P1010012[/img]
Hope this works, Here is Ryan at the start of the fuel haul. I hired him and the Boys for that job There was a bunch of drums out there. Tried to patch that leaky one, did a pretty good job but enough got out to make a wolf trail. I think I hauled that drum in an aluminum sled so further containment but must have had a pin hole. Drum was still mostly full back in AK. Flex seal was not invented yet. I under budgeted so Ryan went out with a reduced crew to finish off the last couple drums lucky guy.
Posted By: Marten Ted

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/24/20 09:09 PM

Really interesting guys! Thanks for all the responses.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/25/20 11:57 AM

I dont know about mange but diesel /used motor oil mix will knock ivomec resistant lice on goats

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/25/20 12:05 PM

Interesting.

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/25/20 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
I dont know about mange but diesel /used motor oil mix will knock ivomec resistant lice on goats

What the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) kind of bugs do yall have up there in Misery? I have never heard of such a thing and still wish I hadn't,

Maybe you could just start calling them Claire McCaskle bugs? grin

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/25/20 01:09 PM

Bigfoot must have a lot of goats.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/25/20 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
WD40 works great as a salmon and halibut attractant. Wonder how it would work for a trapping lure.

Dad sprayed WD40 on everything including fishing lures. I'd heard that WD40 has a fish oil base. Bet it would work for otter...maybe raccoon?
Posted By: bob maier

Re: Coyotes and diesel fuel - 09/25/20 08:42 PM

Del Kramer said coyotes would seek out oil spills on the ground and rolled and scratcher in it. Thought they did it to kill fleas and other bugs.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums