Home

Starting a nuisance removal business

Posted By: porkchop024

Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 01:14 AM

I have been putting some thought into starting my own nuisance removal business. I have done a few small jobs over the years trapping beavers in ponds and raccoons and skunks around people’s property, but I haven’t ever really publicized it much . I do work a full time job, so it would be more of a side gig. Don’t get me wrong I would love to do it full time because I just love to trap , but it would have to really grow for me to give up my everyday job. I would be happy just to get a few extra jobs to bring in the extra money here and there . With that said I am getting some business cards made to hand out and a few shirts and stuff like that made . So for all you guy and gals out there that have done this , what are your thoughts on doing this ?
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 01:23 AM

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/3

I’m considering the same side hustle. Best of luck... I hope to learn form the responses also.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 01:26 AM

My thoughts are that the bigger money is in exclusion. Bats are huge too.

Better yet, excluding bats. People tip big for bat work.

I do it as a side gig when it isn't cold. My carpentry skills combined with critter knowledge makes way more than just trapping.

Beaver are easy here. I generally push people off a bit till I have two or three jobs at once. Leave the dock, set seven or eight traps, $150/ beaver and I have a good night. Two checks and done hopefully. My 22 mag has also paid for itself ten times over.

Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob

I’m considering the same side hustle. Best of luck... I hope to learn form the responses also.

If you think nuisance work is a "side hustle" your going into it behind the eight ball already.Wrong attitude.I have trapped all my life,,and been running my own nuisance controll business for the past 28 years.You have a huge responsibility when taking on nuisance work.Nuisance work entails a LOT more than setting a few mink traps on the creek bank.Thats all Im going to say.

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 01:40 AM

I have never trapped bats. I’m sure there is good money in it , but I just never hear of anybody around here having bat problems . Would definitely give it a try if I got a call , but I wouldn’t know where to start to trap them . Most of the jobs I have got calls from are from beavers . I see you charge per beaver you catch . That’s what I also have been doing . I feel it’s fairest for the landowner and the trapper . Although I do also charge a set up fee if I set a trap, but I do give them a free look around . Sometimes I don’t see sign and I will tell them that I don’t feel like they are there but if they insist on me setting a trap , they will be charged a set up fee of 100 dollars .

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

If you think nuisance work is a "side hustle" your going into it behind the eight ball already.Wrong attitude.I have trapped all my life,,and been running my own nuisance control business for the past 28 years.You have a huge responsibility when taking on nuisance work.Nuisance work entails a LOT more than setting a few mink traps on the creek bank.Thats all Im going to say.

My situation and where I live makes evenings and weekends possible.

I wouldn't know a lot of places I could make it work as part time like I do
Posted By: bjansma

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 01:42 AM

The better money is in the repairs and prevention(exclusion)

Your ability to do well or go full time probably has more to do with your proximity to a large enough human population than anything else.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 01:44 AM

If you think nuisance work is a "side hustle" your going into it behind the eight ball already.Wrong attitude.I have trapped all my life,,and been running my own nuisance control business for the past 28 years.You have a huge responsibility when taking on nuisance work.Nuisance work entails a LOT more than setting a few mink traps on the creek bank.Thats all Im going to say.

Oh, I agree... it is a full time job, even to be part time.

That is why I said considering, it would be super hard to do that without it being a primary business.

I could do it as a once here or there thing for small things, or more than likely, just tell people to call my friend Bud, who does it professionally.

Because they pay him for his knowledge and experience

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 01:45 AM

I understand fully what you are saying . And I would love to do it full time . And maybe it will come to that . For right now just getting started out I can’t afford to quit my main income in hopes of it working . The people I have done jobs for have seemed to be please , because they are returning customers over the years.

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by porkchop024
I have never trapped bats. I’m sure there is good money in it , but I just never hear of anybody around here having bat problems . Would definitely give it a try if I got a call , but I wouldn’t know where to start to trap them . Most of the jobs I have got calls from are from beavers . I see you charge per beaver you catch . That’s what I also have been doing . I feel it’s fairest for the landowner and the trapper . Although I do also charge a set up fee if I set a trap, but I do give them a free look around . Sometimes I don’t see sign and I will tell them that I don’t feel like they are there but if they insist on me setting a trap , they will be charged a set up fee of 100 dollars .

Normally always charge for your time.

I charge per critter because I am cocky enough to think I can always pull it off.

I have never once had a complaint about a bill, but I will charge for gas if it takes longer. I also have regulars who just want me to keep their island and docks beaver free. I don't even ask, just trap them if I see a problem. And send the bill.

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Hutchy

Normally always charge for your time.

I charge per critter because I am cocky enough to think I can always pull it off.

I have never once had a complaint about a bill, but I will charge for gas if it takes longer. I also have regulars who just want me to keep their island and docks beaver free. I don't even ask, just trap them if I see a problem. And send the bill.

Do you charge a certain rate per hour ? Or per week ? I just feel like if I charge them for a service , and don’t have anything to show them for my work , then they feel ripped off or took advantage of . That’s why I have charged per nuisance in the past .
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 01:53 AM

I know a few people that do nuisance work here in MS. They charge by the hour.
Posted By: Albert Burns

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 01:55 AM

^ This. I've been at it 31 years this year. In that time, there has been just 24 days I did not have traps to check. It's hard to really explain to someone that doesn't do this exactly what it entails. I will say like the other people have already stated, there is a bunch more money to be made doing the exclusion and repair work, than the trapping aspect of it. I enjoy the trapping part, (and don't want to become a carpenter), and am lucky enough to have a couple excellent contractor companies that I can refer, and co-ordinate with to do the larger repairs.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 01:57 AM

I found that the cost of liability insurance was way too high for a part time business.
Some specialties mentioned here that are needed; bat exclusions, squirrel exclusions, removal of coons and flying squirrels from chimneys, skunks without spray, nuisance beaver, snake removal, just to name a few.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 02:03 AM

I've learned the lesson about free consults/estimates. If I attend a site there's a set up and consultation fee. I've been burned by the odd individual looking to get set on the right path after already making a mess with their walmart cage traps. I like charging by the animal, it keeps you focused on solving the problem not making a wage. That fee might also include vehicle mileage, travel time, a bait and lure fee, relocation of incidentals, and exclusion work. I'm a little cocky too Hutchy and don't mind a little gamble, sometimes the payoff is big other times you're humbled, lol. I've never advertised at all, my work has all been word of mouth (and good networking) but if I wanted to go big I would rely heavily on the internet and social media.

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 02:03 AM

Do you charge a certain rate per hour ? Or per week ? I just feel like if I charge them for a service , and don’t have anything to show them for my work , then they feel ripped off or took advantage of . That’s why I have charged per nuisance in the past . [/quote]

No hourly rate. I charge what I think is fair and explain it on the bill.

I have knocked out six beaver at one job in a night.

I didn't charge $900. I charged $750. Had about four hours into the job, so I felt that was more fair.

That said, you should develop some kind of pay structure so you look more professional

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
I've learned the lesson about free consults/estimates. If I attend a site there's a set up and consultation fee. I've been burned by the odd individual looking to get set on the right path after already making a mess with their walmart cage traps. I like charging by the animal, it keeps you focused on solving the problem not making a wage. That fee might also include vehicle mileage, travel time, a bait and lure fee, relocation of incidentals, and exclusion work. I'm a little cocky too Hutchy and don't mind a little gamble, sometimes the payoff is big other times you're humbled, lol. I've never advertised at all, my work has all been word of mouth (and good networking) but if I wanted to go big I would rely heavily on the internet and social media.

I hate the occasional humbling lol.

I don't advertise, although I did make cards for referrals. Everyone knows me anyway here.

I have a good deal in that I generally only work seasonal cottages on my trapline. I manage a construction company here looking after a lot of those same cottages, so no one else is doing nuisance work here too.

I do the odd bear job too. People pay big to have you haze bears with rubber bullets and stuff also. Sometimes it actually works. They pay extra to have me re train a bear to fear people and "save it's life"

Then I shoot it in hunting season anyway lol

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 02:25 AM

Thanks for all the advice so far. The pros and the cons . That’s exactly what I was hoping to hear about. I understand it’s hard work involved and I’m up for that challenge. One thing about me I have always worked extremely hard with any job I have ever done , so therefore if my dream does come true and I can have enough work to do it without having to punch a time clock , I will put all effort in it to make sure it doesn’t fail. For right now I’m just testing the waters to see how it works out.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 02:31 AM

Thanks for all the advice so far. The pros and the cons . That’s exactly what I was hoping to hear about. I understand it’s hard work involved and I’m up for that challenge. One thing about me I have always worked extremely hard with any job I have ever done , so therefore if my dream does come true and I can have enough work to do it without having to punch a time clock , I will put all effort in it to make sure it doesn’t fail. For right now I’m just testing the waters to see how it works out.

I've done 45 and expect to hit 50 plus beaver for September and it's strictly a side hustle. I have to pinch myself, for me It's like getting paid well to go fishing.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 03:12 AM

Do you do politicians or relatives... ??? You can probably make a fortune about now.

Garry-
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 03:25 AM

Do it pork chop, i started one 20 years + ago and I've never spent over 300.00 a year advertising.
2 things ill give you is set price and stay with it, never let them jew you down.
They bring more work than i want for FREE right.
I still work a full time job, but has a trappers dream for a work schedule.
Posted By: oneoldboot

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 08:33 AM

I just started last spring and it is a lot of work.I knew nothing about nuisance work and decided to attend the NWCOA 2 day course. It was like a 2x4 hitting me in the back of the head. Well worth the money and I believe it is available online now. It was an eye opener and gave me a lot to think about. I took some time to digest what I learned and then decided to do it. It is part time for me, but I am finally "making" money. Everything I earn goes back into the business- new equipment or upgrade from havahart. Additionally, insurance, modest advertising, & etc.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 09:10 AM

check with your state to see if you need a state license, we do in michigan , like everyone said it's a lot of work , don't give any guarantee,
Posted By: trappermac NY

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 11:36 AM

First, if you work a day job it will be tough because people will not settle for you removing captured animals when your shift ends. And its not ethical to think thats acceptable. Then you show up with your ladder to do a squirrel job and they want to see a copy of your liability insurance. So that means you had better start a business as either a DBA or LLC, get a business bank account, insurance, and start investing in $100 raccoon traps as your havahart or tractor supply traps aren't going to cut it. Now your truck needs to be well stocked with tools and materials to do exclusion work, even if only minor. You don't just remove coons, squirrels, woodchucks, etc. You exclude after you remove. Be ready for calls in the middle of the night for a bat in the house, be ready to follow all state guidelines for bats when you perform that work. You can't tell them you'll check it out this weekend when you're off work. You'll need about three different size ladders, foam gun and foams. If trap and transfer you'll need property owners permissions for release sites. You'll have to keep accurate records and submit yearly to your state agency aling with permit fees. I could go on and on here, trust me.
It's one thing to do the occasional beaver removal job, far another to do this as a business. The business deserves respect. The guy who traps a few beaver and so thinks how hard can it be is going to have a hard row to hoe ahead of him. Fifty percent of the job is interacting with people, advising them, explaining why they have an issue, what can be done to prevent, what you're going to do, the cost for removal, setup and tear down, per animal cost, and the exclusion needs to be proposed up front. They want to know what its going to cost. Then what guarantee you going to give, how long is it good for, are you going to do a follow up call to ensure your work was satisfactory? Remember, there are no set hours for this work. You are essentially on call whenever the client calls.
As a thing you do once in a while for someone, under your terms timewise, its fine. But, if you are going to take it in a business direction be prepared for what comes with it.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by trappermac NY
First, if you work a day job it will be tough because people will not settle for you removing captured animals when your shift ends. And its not ethical to think thats acceptable. Then you show up with your ladder to do a squirrel job and they want to see a copy of your liability insurance. So that means you had better start a business as either a DBA or LLC, get a business bank account, insurance, and start investing in $100 raccoon traps as your havahart or tractor supply traps aren't going to cut it. Now your truck needs to be well stocked with tools and materials to do exclusion work, even if only minor. You don't just remove coons, squirrels, woodchucks, etc. You exclude after you remove. Be ready for calls in the middle of the night for a bat in the house, be ready to follow all state guidelines for bats when you perform that work. You can't tell them you'll check it out this weekend when you're off work. You'll need about three different size ladders, foam gun and foams. If trap and transfer you'll need property owners permissions for release sites. You'll have to keep accurate records and submit yearly to your state agency aling with permit fees. I could go on and on here, trust me.
It's one thing to do the occasional beaver removal job, far another to do this as a business. The business deserves respect. The guy who traps a few beaver and so thinks how hard can it be is going to have a hard row to hoe ahead of him. Fifty percent of the job is interacting with people, advising them, explaining why they have an issue, what can be done to prevent, what you're going to do, the cost for removal, setup and tear down, per animal cost, and the exclusion needs to be proposed up front. They want to know what its going to cost. Then what guarantee you going to give, how long is it good for, are you going to do a follow up call to ensure your work was satisfactory? Remember, there are no set hours for this work. You are essentially on call whenever the client calls.
As a thing you do once in a while for someone, under your terms timewise, its fine. But, if you are going to take it in a business direction be prepared for what comes with it.

Well said.I would like to see what percentage of "trappers" could pass the test we have to take to be able to get our State Nuisance Control License here in N.Y. Its an eye opener.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 12:51 PM

nobody has mentioned a Contract yet!

The contract MUST have the clause "traps damaged or stolen from clients property are the clients responsibility to replace or repair."

Liability Insurance HAS been mentioned but deserves it again.........for when you slip on a attic truss, AND FALL THRU A CEILING INTO A BEDROOM !

I earned a good living for 7 yrs doing ADC work, mostly beavers and bats, but also a few coon, opossums, snakes, skunks.

You MUST have the customer base nearby. Being rural where I live, I had to drive 30-60 mins to large towns with pops of 50-150k for work.

And as an FYI, we have a separate ADC Forum.

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 04:08 PM

What are some things you guys include in a waiver or a contract to get the land owner to sign before you take on the job ?
Posted By: trappermac NY

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 07:56 PM

I'd recommend a video called "Running a Nuisance Control Business", available at Wildlife Control Supplies for about $20, and a book "Wildlife Control Handbook" by Steve Vantessel, probably at Amazon. Both can show you the way.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/28/20 08:27 PM

Some real good advice on here. If you treat it like a hobby, you'll get paid like it's a hobby.
Having been in the predator control business and lure business for almost 40 years, my only advice is that trapping is a vocation. Not a vacation.
If you can say few will out work you, then go for it and charge accordingly.
John Q Public will track you down once you have a reputation far and wide.
Or review you out of biz online if your reputation is not worthy.
Good luck!

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business - 09/29/20 02:44 AM

I started to do wildlife control way back in 1979. I wish I had the info then that you all can get now. The first lession I had to learn, even though the catching the animal is the same, meaning baits lures methods, the business is no where near the same. I had to learn, I have to get them all, I have to solve the problem. not leave seed. Next lession I had to learn was how to deal with what my market will pay for, not what I wanted to do. I did not set out to become known as the squirrel man or the man who talks to animals. but that is what my area gave me and I learned them. I had to develope the 6 phases of the grey squirrel, 6 coon phases and skunk phases. and I had I learn how to call a coon with pups using my mouth to get her to charge me inan attic, or call the squirrels with my mouth t get them to come. (learning the animals and how to deal with them) I had to learn that I was not in business to make friends, but to solve problem, and make money!!!!!! And to do that, I had to become a businessman and charge as a business to make money , it is not a hobbie, it is a job and business. You have to learn to be business minded and also learn the behaviors more than the habits of the animals you are hired to control. I learned that if I could answer the 4 w's what, where when and why there is not a job I can't solve. Maybe with a trap, maybe with pressure, maybe by excluding. As a fur trapper I was a location based on method trapper. After all these years as a full time ADC business, I find now I am a method based on location trapper. You have to learn to key in on one animal and get it. The dominate squirrel or coon or skunk first, then the family groups fall into place. Learn from others and realize that no matter how much you know there is 5 times that to learn. even though I give many seminars, lectures and instructions and have for years,I still take as many instructions as I can. Some days ADC is a great job, other days it sucks. I was on a 10-12 pitch roof today doing bats tomorrow I may be in a beaver swamp. next grabbing a rabied skunk or coon and catching moles in between.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums