Home

Rendering Fat/Lard

Posted By: Mike Cope

Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/28/20 04:04 PM

I have access to some Bear Fat and Pork fat and leaf lard that needs to be rendered.

I would like information on how to render either or both.

Can I use a Crock pot and do small batches?

An Electric roasting pan to cut down on chances of Scorching?? Temp??

Add water and let it evaporate before jarring??

Do I need to pressure can the rendered lard?? pressure and time??

Please give me precise and specific instructions instead of.....Get it hot and when its melted jar it up
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/28/20 04:24 PM

https://www.bing.com/search?q=rende...B9250F9BF5B7A0BBB&FORM=QBLH&sp=2
Posted By: adam m

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/28/20 04:26 PM

If using a crockpot fill that puppy up put on low.
I just use a regular pot on medium heat until it's all melted stirring often, and pour in a jar add some castor stir or shake let it become solid and cool then lid.

Water and hot grease is a no no unless you want a huge a fire.

I've never pressure canned it.
Posted By: Super Wide

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/28/20 04:27 PM

I just did a crock pot full of bear fat couple days ago. Cut it into 2 inch cubes and put in in the crock pot on LOW overnight. Make sure you already cut all the meat off of it. Let it cool down enough to pour through some cheese cloth or a metal strainer, into mason jars. Put them in the fridge to harden up, they will be yellow clear oil at first then will turn white like a glass of milk. Put a metal lid and ring on the jars and label and put them in the freezer. Will last for years and years in the freezer.

Crock pot is the way to go, not electric pans. No water needed, will just mess it up. You do not need to pressure can it. Questions? Hope this helps you.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/28/20 05:43 PM

I do all mine in a crock pot. Just put it in there at night with a little bit (1/2 cup or less) of water and turn it on low. The water prevents the fat from sticking and burning until you get some fat rendered. It takes several hours to render it,like 12-18 hours, and the water will evaporate long before that. Some people don't use water, that's just how I do it.. Chop it up real fine,or even run it through a grinder if you're feeling crazy. If you let it go until the cracklins start getting crispy you'll get more fat but it'll be more porky smelling and tasting,if you stop when the cracklins are still soft and greazy it'll be more neutral smelling and tasting. I just put mine in clean jars and put the lids on and stick them in the freezer. I. Actually making a batch tonight, I've got a couple bags of pork fat defrosted in the fridge.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/28/20 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
I do all mine in a crock pot. Just put it in there at night with a little bit (1/2 cup or less) of water and turn it on low. The water prevents the fat from sticking and burning until you get some fat rendered. It takes several hours to render it,like 12-18 hours, and the water will evaporate long before that. Some people don't use water, that's just how I do it.. Chop it up real fine,or even run it through a grinder if you're feeling crazy. If you let it go until the cracklins start getting crispy you'll get more fat but it'll be more porky smelling and tasting,if you stop when the cracklins are still soft and greazy it'll be more neutral smelling and tasting. I just put mine in clean jars and put the lids on and stick them in the freezer. I. Actually making a batch tonight, I've got a couple bags of pork fat defrosted in the fridge.

I've never made lard in a crockpot, normally in kettles but we always added water to start also.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/28/20 07:14 PM

I run the fat through my grinder first.Helps it render down nicely.I just use a large pot on the stove and render it down slowly.Then run it through a tight strainer or cheese cloth.
Posted By: mimusp

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/28/20 07:20 PM

Anybody ever render coon fat to make lard? I love the flavor of coon and would think that coon lard would be delicious.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/28/20 08:41 PM

Rendered coon fat stays liquid.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/28/20 09:21 PM

sick

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/29/20 01:11 AM

Just finished getting mine in the crockpot.
[Linked Image]
A little bit of water...
[Linked Image]
2 bags of pig fat...
[Linked Image]
Chop it up and into the crockpot it goes on low all night.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/29/20 01:43 AM

So when I make my venison burger I always grind In some beef fat . Could a guy render down that fat and mix It into the burger as a liquid? If so you would think you could get a better mix.

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/29/20 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
So when I make my venison burger I always grind In some beef fat . Could a guy render down that fat and mix It into the burger as a liquid? If so you would think you could get a better mix.

I would think if you render the fat it'd come out different. The whole fat (u rendered) would stay in chunks, but the rendered fat would turn to complete liquid when you cook, and might fall out of the.meat mixture. I don't really know, though, I've never done it, that's just my guess.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/29/20 10:30 AM

i render all my con fat an add seed for the birds in winter
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/29/20 10:30 AM

coon
Posted By: nyhuntfish

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/29/20 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by mimusp
Anybody ever render coon fat to make lard? I love the flavor of coon and would think that coon lard would be delicious.

Greatest questions I have:

How Can We Use the Most Abundant:

1.) Coon fat

2.) Beaver fat

For human food? Why not? I don't believe the Indians just passed over this. It's right there... the fat your body needs to survive. Anything on archive.org? Anyone know how to do this?

In a time of need how will your brain keep working? Not on lean meat. Not on veggies. Not on burning off the fur every time I don't think and stewing the skin which is a great option although time consuming...but is that it?
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/29/20 12:28 PM

Pour the very hot rendered lard into canning jars, quickly wipe any grease off the rims, put a lid and ring on right away, then let it cool on the counter. All the jars should seal, and you won't need to store them in the fridge or freezer. If any jars don't seal, throw those ones in the fridge.

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/29/20 12:35 PM

[Linked Image]

Lookin good this morning, but still has a ways to go.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/29/20 12:36 PM

Not sure I understand the point of adding water?
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/29/20 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
i render all my con fat an add seed for the birds in winter

Does it set up solid for you?
Posted By: Joe1

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/29/20 02:30 PM

i use a turkey fryer burner and a 8 quart pan and rendered coon fat will set up when 40 degrees or less above that will stay liquid makes good oil for steel leather and wood just like your fleshing beam
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/29/20 03:43 PM

Clean coon fat makes a great cooking oil too. One of our members rendered some coon fat at our convention last year and then used the oil in his cast iron pan to fry up some bobcat hind quarter steaks. The bobcat steaks and the pressed coon cracklins were gone in a hurry.

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/29/20 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by M.Magis
Not sure I understand the point of adding water?

The water just prevents the fat from sticking to the pan and scorching in the beginning. Once you get some fat rendered it won't scorch, the water.just helps prevent that until you get some liquid fat going. The water all boils off long before the lard is gone.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/29/20 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose

The water just prevents the fat from sticking to the pan and scorching in the beginning. Once you get some fat rendered it won't scorch, the water.just helps prevent that until you get some liquid fat going. The water all boils off long before the lard is gone.

Thanks, that makes sense. I can imagine that's a bigger help when rendering on a stovetop vs a crockpot.
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Rendering Fat/Lard - 09/29/20 06:25 PM

just warm it slowly and dont get in a rush or youll burn an druin it. I lay cheese cloth across canning jars and ladle it in as it renders. we freeze some, refridgerate some and i always have a jar in the cabin.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums