Home

The demonization of smoking......

Posted By: cowboy2005

The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 05:04 PM

YES, I BELIEVE SMOKING IS BAD, now to my point. Our culture has over demonized smoking in my opinion. If you look back in history soo many people smoked and lived long and healthy lives, but if you look into what they smoked you start to realize the difference. For instance in the 1940s smoking was HUGE and yes they were smoking tabbacoo but it was just that, just tabbacoo. Nowadays tabbacoo is mixed with extra nicotine and chemicals. The other thing is that in 1940s smoking was done as a way to relax and done socially less chainsmoking and sure it was still bad but significantly less so. Indians smoked tabbacoo, mullein and a host of other herbs, were they dropping of lung cancer? Maybe but not that I've heard of. Mullein has been proven to improve lung health, and yes EVEN when smoked. Infact Mullein has been shown to help repair the damage done by smoking regular cigarettes. So am I saying to smoke mullein? Not exactly I mean you can, or make it into tea or whatever. I just think amazing how we've lost things like smoking Mullein. MULLEIN is also a wonderful plant may be the closest thing to a wonder plant, it also relieves stress and tons of other things. So I dont disagree with the demonizing of conventional cigarettes but our ancestors have smoked things for soo long its ridiculous, the vikings smoked herbs as well. So I guess what I'm saying is that our culture has made smoking out to be a terrible thing when personally I believe its more of what you smoke. Just my 2 cents worth not saying you should smoke or anything. But thought some might have this interesting.
-Garrett.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 05:13 PM

How old are you Garrett? I'm guessing 15 by your handle? My boys are 19 and 20 and both got sucked into the vaping trend when it started as harmless flavoured vape. They're now both full on nicotine addicts and are struggling to get off it. My point simply, if you're charmed with the notion that smoking is cool and want to get into it keep in mind nobody was born with an urge to smoke you actually have to endure some discomfort to get into it. It's so much easier to avoid it then to have to give it up once you're hooked, it's a terrible addiction.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 05:20 PM

You can get the benefits of mullein from making and taking a tincture without having to harm your lungs by smoking.

Keith

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
How old are you Garrett? I'm guessing 15 by your handle? My boys are 19 and 20 and both got sucked into the vaping trend when it started as harmless flavoured vape. They're now both full on nicotine addicts and are struggling to get off it. My point simply, if you're charmed with the notion that smoking is cool and want to get into it keep in mind nobody was born with an urge to smoke you actually have to endure some discomfort to get into it. It's so much easier to avoid it then to have to give it up once you're hooked, it's a terrible addiction.

Oh trust me I know, vape is extremely terrible for you and so is smoking. In fact vape contains formaldehyde. And Im sorry if I came off wrong. I dont think anyone should smoke and I dont think its cool, what interesting to me is just how somethings like that are lost. And I am NOT saying it shouldn't be lost.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
You can get the benefits of mullein from making and taking a tincture without having to harm your lungs by smoking.

Keith

yes Im aware
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 06:12 PM

How old are you Garrett? I'm guessing 15 by your handle? My boys are 19 and 20 and both got sucked into the vaping trend when it started as harmless flavoured vape.

Every time I see a guy sucking on a vaping device I just assume he is a homosexual who likes cylindrical objects on their lips. No offense to your boys but putting it the way I just did got two of my cousins of stop vaping almost instantly.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
How old are you Garrett? I'm guessing 15 by your handle? My boys are 19 and 20 and both got sucked into the vaping trend when it started as harmless flavoured vape.

Every time I see a guy sucking on a vaping device I just assume he is a homosexual who likes cylindrical objects on their lips. No offense to your boys but putting it the way I just did got two of my cousins of stop vaping almost instantly.

Thats a good way of looking at it
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 06:21 PM

Watch your parents, only brother, 2 sisters, and several of your favorite aunts and uncles die too young of complications all related to smoking and second hand smoke and you'll be a little more jaded too. I hate smoking and will not be around it. Inconsiderate smokers are the worst. Puffing away not caring who they are stinking up or making sick with their vile smoke then tossing the butts where ever they fall as if the world is their ashtray. Smoking in cars and confined spaces with kids is even worse, anyone doing so should be ashamed of this abusive behavior.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor

That would be meaningless, they're not homophobes.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 07:20 PM

I love mullein tea. It just came out of bloom around here. Lots of it grows around the RR tracks. I smoked until 15 years ago myself. Tough thing to quit. I see what you mean cowboy. My take on it is all those years ago people smoked more cigars and pipes which weren't inhaled as much. This could have been why there was less lung cancer (if there even was less). ADC, Im with you I think you should be flogged for smoking with kids in a car. I do find it hard to believe that smoking a different herb will help lung function whatsoever, it's still smoke.
Posted By: white17

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Watch your parents, only brother, 2 sisters, and several of your favorite aunts and uncles die too young of complications all related to smoking and second hand smoke and you'll be a little more jaded too. I hate smoking and will not be around it. Inconsiderate smokers are the worst. Puffing away not caring who they are stinking up or making sick with their vile smoke then tossing the butts where ever they fall as if the world is their ashtray. Smoking in cars and confined spaces with kids is even worse, anyone doing so should be ashamed of this abusive behavior.

X2
Posted By: Redknot

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by white17

X2

I tell those near me that if I see smoke I will assume they are on fire and will act accordingly. So, expect a bucket of water or being rolled around on the ground until the smoke clears...
Posted By: KeithC

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 07:52 PM

I hate that most cigarette smokers feel entitled to throw their butts on the ground whenever they're done with them. I frequently have people who come here for birds throw their cigarette butts on the ground. I always make them pick the butts up if I see them do it. They always act embarrassed and sorry. You would think adult human beings would have the decency not to litter.

Keith

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
I love mullein tea. It just came out of bloom around here. Lots of it grows around the RR tracks. I smoked until 15 years ago myself. Tough thing to quit. I see what you mean cowboy. My take on it is all those years ago people smoked more cigars and pipes which weren't inhaled as much. This could have been why there was less lung cancer (if there even was less). ADC, Im with you I think you should be flogged for smoking with kids in a car. I do find it hard to believe that smoking a different herb will help lung function whatsoever, it's still smoke.

Right, I'm just going off of what I've read that smoking mullein is better, but I for sure agree it is still smoke and still bad.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 08:07 PM

I do not smoke and never have. Watched my dad die from lung cancer and drowning on dry land is not a pretty thing.

My great great grandmother smoked a pipe all her life and most of all my relatives down to me. My gg grandma lived to be 92 and my gg grandpa lived to be 93 and was a smoker. I just wonder if any of the insecticide and herbicide on the tobacco now days could be a influencing factor?

I was talking to the druggist one day about my dad still smoking up until he died (try managing smoking and oxygen without get someone killed). Any way the pharmacist said his dad and grandpa lived to 95 and 92. He said everyone said drinking and smoking killed them both, lol.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
I do not smoke and never have. Watched my dad die from lung cancer and drowning on dry land is not a pretty thing.

My great great grandmother smoked a pipe all her life and most of all my relatives down to me. My gg grandma lived to be 92 and my gg grandpa lived to be 93 and was a smoker. I just wonder if any of the insecticide and herbicide on the tobacco now days could be a influencing factor?

I was talking to the druggist one day about my dad still smoking up until he died (try managing smoking and oxygen without get someone killed). Any way the pharmacist said his dad and grandpa lived to 95 and 92. He said everyone said drinking and smoking killed them both, lol.

I think that insecticide and such must be a factor and the additional nicotine and bleached paper cigarettes are rolled in. My great uncle smoked a pipe and lived to be like 98. My Grandfather smoked all thru the Korean War, came home and never touched another cigarette he is 94 and unfortunately in rather poor health and has alzheimer's but he doesn't have lung conditions.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 08:33 PM

There is not one good thing about smoking. Period! I started when I was 13 and smoked for 30 years. My dad smoked and back in those days most everybody did. My sister died of lung cancer this past June. I remember buying cigarettes for 8 cents a pack in the service when we were at sea. I've been fortunate so far, but I do have COPD. Smoking is nothing but a dirty addictive habit. I quit cold turkey. Not everyone can. I don't want to be a preacher, but for Heaven's sake, quit while you still can.
Posted By: EdP

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 08:42 PM

As you get into your 60's you begin to see the people you know that are/were smokers suffer health issues most non-smokers don't. In general the smokers you know start dying off about a decade sooner than your non-smoking friends. Also, as the smokers reached into their mid 40's smoking began to take a noticable toll on what they could do physically. Up to that point it didn't seem to make much of a difference and they all told themselves they were one of the lucky few who don't get affected much at all.

At a young age, teens or early 20's, perhaps an additional 10 years of life in what you feel is "old age" doesn't seem all that valuable. In your mid 60's that extra 10 years of active life could mean seeing a grandchild or great grandchild grow into an adult instead of dying when they are 10. From that perspective those 10 years are golden.
Posted By: coonlove

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
I hate that most cigarette smokers feel entitled to throw their butts on the ground whenever they're done with them. I frequently have people who come here for birds throw their cigarette butts on the ground. I always make them pick the butts up if I see them do it. They always act embarrassed and sorry. You would think adult human beings would have the decency not to litter.

Keith

One of the most disgusting things that I observed in my many years working in factories was men throwing cigarette butts in the urinals , knowing that some poor janitor would have to fish them out. How sick!
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 08:49 PM

I was gonna quit smoking,,but I figured it would be bad for my health,,cause smoking makes me cough,,and that's the only exercise I get. wink

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
I was gonna quit smoking,,but I figured it would be bad for my health,,cause smoking makes me cough,,and that's the only exercise I get. wink

Lol, that's just as smart as the "well, you have to die of something. " argument.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

Lol, that's just as smart as the "well, you have to die of something. " argument.

Just joking of course.Smoking is a terrible addiction and a tough one to beat.One thing I cant stand is when some jerk wad dumps their ash tray in a parking lot.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 09:30 PM

After smoking a pipe, then cigars and finally cigarettes for decades, I quit about 20 years ago. I still love the smell of smoke from any of those.
Posted By: Boco

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 09:45 PM

Mullein leaf is the best trap pan cover-fuzzy side up it holds the covering well and stands up well to freeze thaw conditions under the trap too.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Mullein leaf is the best trap pan cover-fuzzy side up it holds the covering well and stands up well to freeze thaw conditions under the trap too.

You spelled Mullin wrong, there Robert laugh

w

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 09:54 PM

Hmm I another great use for it! Also just to clear this up in case some people get the wrong idea, I'm not condoning smoking of any kind, all I was saying is that its interesting how engraved smoking is in our history and how we went from everyone (practically) smoking to alot less, step in the right direction for sure. But would still say that if a person had to smoke, mullein would be a better option because there'd be alot less chemicals in the smoke and its non addictive. NOT saying that smoking mullein is a good idea because as stated before its still smoke.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 09:54 PM

I smoked for 22 years and am I glad I was able to quit. It was not easy but I when I finally got there I never picked up again. That was 30 years ago in December. I do however feel that smoking was real easy to demonize as it is offensive to many and easy to spot and yes many smokers are lax in their concern and clean up regarding their habit. The fact that it is easy to demonize also made it a bigger deal and created more support. I don't know anyone who on a nicotine fit drove their car into an oncoming vehicle or grabbed a weapon and hurt or killed someone in a nicotine rage but alcohol sure has been the cause for many such actions and our society still embraces alcohol as the way to relax and enjoy life. Some can and some can't.

Bryce

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed

You spelled Mullin wrong, there Robert laugh

w

verbascum thapsis. Commonly called the flannel leaf plant.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 10:00 PM

I’m old enough to remember folks smoking while flying on jetliners. Some of the older airliners still have ashtrays. Most vehicles sold today don’t have ash trays or cigarette lighters. My 2012 Chevy 2500 still has both.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 10:02 PM

I remember when cars didnt have seatbelts.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 10:04 PM

I used to smoke. No joke.. Quitting was one of the hardest things I've done. My father can smoke for a year and quit cold turkey no problem and pick back up a year later. That guy ain't got that addict gene but still gave it to me.

Anywho..... One thing I noticed is how it divides people unknowingly. Most smokers I know only hang with other smokers and vice versa.

When I quit smoking I didn't know what to do on breaks. 15 minutes is a long time not doing anything.

Now when I smell cigarettes it repulse me. I had 2 guys come over a few weeks back. I was napping in the shed with the door open. They walked straight to the back door. Didn't even pass the shop. The smell of smoke on them was so bad it woke me out of my nap.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 10:50 PM

I was hunting bear in Maine a few years back, watching baits from ladder stands. There was a fella from Cleveland in camp, nice guy, big time smoker. Now, smoking while hunting a stand was a no no, and this guy complied. But after showering, and wearing freshly laundered clothes, he still reeked of menthol. It must have stayed with him, much like big time garlic eaters always smell like garlic.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 11:18 PM

My dads t-shirts would turn yellow fast. My mom said it was coming out his skin. May have been, cause he always had a shirt over his t-shirt.
Posted By: marathonman

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/29/20 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
I was hunting bear in Maine a few years back, watching baits from ladder stands. There was a fella from Cleveland in camp, nice guy, big time smoker. Now, smoking while hunting a stand was a no no, and this guy complied. But after showering, and wearing freshly laundered clothes, he still reeked of menthol. It must have stayed with him, much like big time garlic eaters always smell like garlic.

well did he get one?
Posted By: waggler

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 01:06 AM

I know I can hike circles around guys half my age who smoke. It must be embarrassing for them to not be able to keep up with an old guy.

We here about smoking back in the old days not seeming to have the same negative effects. I think a lot my be due to changes in diet (much worse now), less exercise, etc.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 01:53 AM

I know that when i smoked (about 30 years ago) every winter I would get a cold/ flu and it would go straight to my lungs. I would hack and cough like i was dying (at times felt like it) since I have quit I almost never get sick and if I do get sick it is gone in a few days (no persistant hacking) . Best move I ever made. But smoking dope is o.k. ? Smoke is smoke.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 03:21 AM

Guess some families may be predisposed to complications of smoking? My great grandmother lived until 94. Her oldest son is now 89 or so, and her second kid, my grandmother, 82. All life long smokers. All of my grandmother's kids heavy smokers, all still alive. My dad was a 4 pack a day smoker until he quit a few years ago....he's healthier than I am now. Smoking is NOT good for you, but you'll not keel over 5 years after you take your first drag either.

All that said, I wish I'd never started.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by H2ORat
I know that when i smoked (about 30 years ago) every winter I would get a cold/ flu and it would go straight to my lungs. I would hack and cough like i was dying (at times felt like it) since I have quit I almost never get sick and if I do get sick it is gone in a few days (no persistant hacking) . Best move I ever made. But smoking dope is o.k. ? Smoke is smoke.

The only time I've been in bed sick since I was a child is when I got Swine flu. 5 days on the couch, 3 I couldn't get off it but to crawl. Thanks Biden. 3 pack a day smoker since the age of 12.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 03:34 AM

Yea he did. He hunted the five nights, missed one on Friday night. The outfitter let him hunt one more day on Saturday....he killed one that evening.
Originally Posted by marathonman
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie

well did he get one?

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by H2ORat

The only time I've been in bed sick since I was a child is when I got Swine flu. 5 days on the couch, 3 I couldn't get off it but to crawl. Thanks Biden. 3 pack a day smoker since the age of 12.

Interesting, what brand do you smoke?

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by cowboy2005

Marlboro for the first several years, then an Iroquois Indian produced brand called "rollies" for the next 20. Now some burdock and ditch weed mix called This.
Posted By: fossil2

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 03:52 AM

ever roll your own angela? i think the tobaccos cleaner than marbs and the other brands.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by cowboy2005

Wow, you're a real inspiration for the kids.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 04:07 AM

And for the record smokeless is no better for a human than smoking! I've done both and luckily I've quit both.
Posted By: waggler

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 05:14 AM

Do you smokers feel a little fearful about covid? The first thing the Dr. said to me when he found I had covid was, "well, you have never smoked, you haven't picked up vaping lately have you?" I said "no", he said, "you have nothing at all to worry about then".
With all the other bad stuff that comes with smoking, why purposely put yourself at a disadvantage?
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 06:12 AM

...do find it hard to believe that smoking a different herb will help lung function whatsoever, it's still smoke.

Obviously you have never smoked any other herbs.
Mullein opens the breathing passages like nothing else.
Can feel it helping. Haven't noticed any bad effects after decades of use.
Surprised it isn't being used for China virus.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 06:17 AM

Now some burdock and ditch weed mix called This.

Care to elaborate? Scientific names of the herbs you're using? Cure method? Anything else?

So far I've smoked the bark and leaves of Red Osier dogwood. Leaves and flowers of Red and White clover. Leaves of Staghorn sumac, mullein, and a few others.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 07:56 AM

Helloooo! , we're trying to discourage kids from smoking here.
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 08:17 AM

I don't smoke anymore,but is smoking sitting a worse example for kids than say being obese does ?
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by DuxDawg
...do find it hard to believe that smoking a different herb will help lung function whatsoever, it's still smoke.

Obviously you have never smoked any other herbs.
Mullein opens the breathing passages like nothing else.
Can feel it helping. Haven't noticed any bad effects after decades of use.
Surprised it isn't being used for China virus.

Quit smoking 15 years ago and yes I did try other herbs. Everything from Mullein to marijuana and none of them "opened my breathing passages" they all felt like I was inhaling smoke because I was. If it makes you feel better all the power to ya. Some people take sugar pills and feel better. For me I'll stay smoke free
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 09:14 AM

I really miss tobacco. If I get diagnosed with a terminal disease instead of just tipping over someplace I am going to take up chewing again.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
Do you smokers feel a little fearful about covid? The first thing the Dr. said to me when he found I had covid was, "well, you have never smoked, you haven't picked up vaping lately have you?" I said "no", he said, "you have nothing at all to worry about then".
With all the other bad stuff that comes with smoking, why purposely put yourself at a disadvantage?

I've been thinking its pretty funny to watch people take off their masks to smoke.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 10:10 AM

Those vaping devices are also known as a phag flute.
Posted By: Oreamnos

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Pirogue
I don't smoke anymore,but is smoking sitting a worse example for kids than say being obese does ?

The below is an excerpt from the conclusion of a 2009 article in the New England Journal of Medicine

"If past obesity trends continue unchecked, the negative effects on the health of the U.S. population will increasingly outweigh the positive effects gained from declining smoking rates. Failure to address continued increases in obesity could result in an erosion of the pattern of steady gains in health observed since early in the 20th century."

Smoking is bad (lost a grandmother to lung cancer) and I'm glad its on the decline. Maybe in 20 years processed sugars and little debbie snack cakes will be equally maligned. "big sugar" will be the enemy and the government will legislate it and tax it into submission.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I really miss tobacco. If I get diagnosed with a terminal disease instead of just tipping over someplace I am going to take up chewing again.

How long has it been Danny? Most long term clean quitters are repulsed by it.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 11:48 AM

I get a kick out of people who think I should smell their smoke, but then they're offended when I fart beside them.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I get a kick out of people who think I should smell their smoke, but then they're offended when I fart beside them.

Mind if I smoke? Mind if I fart?
Posted By: run

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Oreamnos

Originally Posted by Pirogue

The below is an excerpt from the conclusion of a 2009 article in the New England Journal of Medicine

"If past obesity trends continue unchecked, the negative effects on the health of the U.S. population will increasingly outweigh the positive effects gained from declining smoking rates. Failure to address continued increases in obesity could result in an erosion of the pattern of steady gains in health observed since early in the 20th century."

Smoking is bad (lost a grandmother to lung cancer) and I'm glad its on the decline. Maybe in 20 years processed sugars and little debbie snack cakes will be equally maligned. "big sugar" will be the enemy and the government will legislate it and tax it into submission.

Good call.
Posted By: rvsask

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 12:57 PM

Smoking is indeed bad, as is chew. However, sugar is an awful beast, that and cheap, easy, plastic wrapped garbage food. Go observe an average group of 100 twelve year olds and pay attention to how many of them could not hike a mile due to diet. Diet is worse than tobacco in 2020 in my opinion.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 01:25 PM

I have had lung issues my entire life. Was severely asthmatic as a baby, and still am. I never smoked cigarettes. Parents were two pack a day smokers, all my siblings did. Of the 4 of us kids, I am the only one still alive. My one sister died at 52 of liver cancer, the other two from smoking. My oldest sister made it to 66, my brother 40. My brother smoked so much that his fingers were stained yellow. This following story is how much attitudes about smoking have changed......I had to do those danged allergy shots weekly for years as a kid. One time when at the MD's office getting the shot I was having a bad day from asthma. My mother commented to the doctor , who was puffing a cigarette, that I complained about cigarette smoke bothering me.....that doctor literally took a drag and blew the smoke in my face and said it was all in my head! Can you imagine some Sawbones doing that in this day and age and the thing being recorded? The lawyers would be richer and the kid on every talk show in the country. What did I get? I got my allergy shot and was sent on my way, only to ride home with my mother who was puffing away. All I have for advice to anyone about smoking.....don't start, quit if you already do, and if you haven't quit, DON'T do it with your kids in the car.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by J.Morse
I have had lung issues my entire life. Was severely asthmatic as a baby, and still am. I never smoked cigarettes. Parents were two pack a day smokers, all my siblings did. Of the 4 of us kids, I am the only one still alive. My one sister died at 52 of liver cancer, the other two from smoking. My oldest sister made it to 66, my brother 40. My brother smoked so much that his fingers were stained yellow. This following story is how much attitudes about smoking have changed......I had to do those danged allergy shots weekly for years as a kid. One time when at the MD's office getting the shot I was having a bad day from asthma. My mother commented to the doctor , who was puffing a cigarette, that I complained about cigarette smoke bothering me.....that doctor literally took a drag and blew the smoke in my face and said it was all in my head! Can you imagine some Sawbones doing that in this day and age and the thing being recorded? The lawyers would be richer and the kid on every talk show in the country. What did I get? I got my allergy shot and was sent on my way, only to ride home with my mother who was puffing away. All I have for advice to anyone about smoking.....don't start, quit if you already do, and if you haven't quit, DON'T do it with your kids in the car.

My parents often comment how bad they feel about raising us kids in cigarette smoke filled environments. 3 kids lying on the floor of the back seat of the old impala gagging on the blue haze on long journeys. It's an offence now in Ontario to smoke in a car with children on board and it would be reported to child and family services if caught.
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 02:11 PM

I just find it a bit ironic when fat people preach to smokers about unhealthy habits. crazy

P

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 02:30 PM

Don't get me wrong, I wish to God I'd never started smoking. I definitely can't run up and down these hills anymore the way I could if I wasn't a smoker. I also spend the first half hour of the day hacking my lungs out most days. I was just commenting that I don't believe smoking has anything to do with whether or not you get a cold or flu.

Quitting smoking is very hard. It's much, much easier to never start and if I had it to do over, I wouldn't.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed
[quote=Boco]Mullein leaf is the best trap pan cover-fuzzy side up it holds the covering well and stands up well to freeze thaw conditions under the trap too.

You spelled Mullin wrong, there Robert

w

verbascum thapsis. Commonly called the flannel leaf plant.

Latin terminology would look like:

Verbascum thapsus; or

Verbascum thapsus.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 02:42 PM

Don't get me wrong, I wish to God I'd never started smoking. I definitely can't run up and down these hills anymore the way I could if I wasn't a smoker. I also spend the first half hour of the day hacking my lungs out most days. I was just commenting that I don't believe smoking has anything to do with whether or not you get a cold or flu.

Quitting smoking is very hard. It's much, much easier to never start and if I had it to do over, I wouldn't.

I knew this is how you felt about it. Thanks.

Obviously from some of the digs you see in this post I'm too fat, but I'd never try to defend it or blow it off as if it's OK. The OP posted about smoking not bad eating/exercising habits. Incidently NONE of those relatives I mentioned that died of smoking related deaths were obese, my brother for example was 48, he was 5'10 maybe 175lbs. smoked like a freight train though. I'm the lucky fat guy of the family.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 02:43 PM

When I made up my mind I was going to give it up my greatest hurdle or fear was the notion that I would never enjoy those moments in life that you associated most closely with smoking. For me those moments included that great first cup of joe in the morning, a cold beer with friends, being out in the boat casting a line, having a dart at coffee break at work with coworkers, etc. If there's one piece of advice I can give to those wanting to quit, all that is a dirty elusion. Once you get over the hurdle of the craving/addiction, all those experiences are better without it. Keep this in mind as well: having a cigarette doesn't make you feel better, it only brings you back to baseline.
Posted By: bandy

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 07:19 PM

I have said this over and over and will say it here probably again it's not the smoking that kills people. It's the one or two packs a day if you smoke a few a week or a few a month it will not hurt you I diped, chew,and smoked for 25 years ago. I quit 13 years ago because it was nonstop all day now I still enjoy a cigar about 8 or 9 times a year. The same with beer or any kind of alcohol probably even less most years because now I control it it doesn't control me.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: The demonization of smoking...... - 09/30/20 07:49 PM

I think there's a difference between saying smoking is bad for you, which it obviously is, and demonizing people who smoke or dip.
A person with a bad habit isn't automatically a bad person
© 2024 Trapperman Forums