Home

How to give wood a weathered look quickly?

Posted By: Wolfdog91

How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 09/29/20 08:16 PM

Wanted to make a few more shelves for my video and book collection and really like the looks of weather 2x4"t problem is my the scrap wood pile got burned last week. Any way you can quickly give a new 2x4 this weathered look ?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 09/29/20 08:20 PM

Vinegar and steel wool solution
Posted By: trappinia

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 09/29/20 08:24 PM

You can roll them in creek mud and beat them up on the rocks until you get desired effect also .
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 09/29/20 08:28 PM

Or many products like this

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 09/29/20 09:34 PM

You can scorch the surface with a bernzomatic and sand intermittently til you get the look you want.
Posted By: mtnpatriot

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 09/29/20 09:39 PM

https://youtu.be/DoBWpOzGMXc

Skip to 9:00 to see the one that looks great.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 09/29/20 09:48 PM

You can typically get more truly weathered wood then you want, for free, from Craigslist including piles of scrap lumber, whole wood decks, whole privacy fences and pallets.

Keith
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 09/29/20 09:53 PM

Just drive around and find a barn. Then come back after dark and take what you want. People do it around here .
Posted By: mtnpatriot

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 09/29/20 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Just drive around and find a barn. Then come back after dark and take what you want. People do it around here .

Great way to suggest on a public forum the theft of private property...
Posted By: 20scout

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 09/29/20 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
Vinegar and steel wool solution

This is what I have done. If you really want it weathered then you will have to antique it more by abusing it before treatment.
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 09/29/20 10:53 PM

A good trick for weathering is a wire brush on a grinder or drill , work it up and down the wood , it removes the softer fiber ,leaving the harder fiber ,then use the steelwool and vinegar or stain of your choice. drill some small holes ,for worm hole look. you can really fool the little old ladys.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 09/29/20 11:02 PM

I usually have enough old boards without having to make them but I had a sister that was in the craft business over 30 years and she said if you want speed up the aging to make it look gray then paint it with butter milk and let it age in the open like a fence or the side of a building. Still have to wait a while but not 50 yrs.
Posted By: keystone

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 09/30/20 01:57 PM

Pretty sure Wolf is smarter than that, he’s a hard worker from the posts i’ve seen. He’ll get it figured out without steeling from anyone!
Posted By: k snow

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 09/30/20 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by logger coffey
A good trick for weathering is a wire brush on a grinder or drill , work it up and down the wood , it removes the softer fiber ,leaving the harder fiber ,then use the steelwool and vinegar or stain of your choice. drill some small holes ,for worm hole look. you can really fool the little old ladys.

My grandpa used the wire wheel method a lot to make weathered looking picture frames. He also kept a bunch of lumber in the pond out back and pulled out what he needed when he wanted it. The waterlogged wood wire wheeled up real nice.

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 09/30/20 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by keystone

Pretty sure Wolf is smarter than that, he’s a hard worker from the posts i’ve seen. He’ll get it figured out without steeling from anyone!

Well I mean there is that guy with the barn down the road who I don't like cool JUST kidding lol

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 09/30/20 08:04 PM

Thanks every one I'll have to try some with this
Posted By: Newt

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 09/30/20 08:38 PM

mix up some lye water
Posted By: cyaukeyy

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 09/30/20 11:43 PM

https://youtu.be/VQU2951XmHk
Posted By: John C

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 10/01/20 12:56 AM

I’ve got an 11yr old that can give anything that weathered or distressed look in no time.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 10/01/20 02:45 AM

I believe some people "hammer" the wood as well.
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 10/01/20 03:23 AM

I do alot of wood working with barn wood, sometimes when I dont have the pieces I need i have to improvise with newer dimensional lumber. Wire wheels add texture as they remove the softer wood and the harder layers of the grain protrude, just like finish sanding go with the grain. A quick surface burn with a weed torch and then wire wheel also make some great results. Ive beat boards with hammers,wrenches,chain, and even drug a newly constructed table top that had been painted down our gravel driveway with outstanding results after sanding and stain/glaze/danish oil. Grey stains, dark stains, and use of glazes oan or paints normally can get you really close. Its really hard to recreate mother nature’s beauty.

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 10/01/20 03:30 AM

Finish the first shelf the same way you do the new shelf and they will match perfectly, by that I mean wire wheel and grey stain with some darker grey/brown glaze. The problem with matching natural grey faded wood that’s unfinished is that the exterior is dry and looks dry and dull, any stains or techniques will not give you that dry soft finish mother nature does.
Posted By: KB64

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 10/01/20 12:27 PM

Iron sulfate like applied to lawns to give it color. When I sprayed lawns in college it was a big deal if we got spray on wood fences. It'll turn it a nice grey color.

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? - 10/01/20 02:48 PM

Thanks for the tip KB64!!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums