Home

Ribeye in the Sky

Posted By: BraskaYoter

Ribeye in the Sky - 09/30/20 03:09 PM

First off, are they really like a good home grown beef ribeye? Second where are good places to hunt them, I cant here in Nebraska, because when they show up here we get flocks of people from everywhere that bring there wallets. But I am interested in going on a hunt somewhere, just not sure where that is. Would prefer midwestern states as I can drive there.
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: Ribeye in the Sky - 09/30/20 03:21 PM

I have hunted them for years in N.D. For a starting point I would hunt around Long Lake national wildlife refuge by Moffit N.D.. We would pass shoot them and did pretty good on them. We have also decoyed them with good success. About the middle of Oct is the best. I liked taking my kids there when they were off school for teachers convention normally the 3 week of Oct.

And no not a ribeye in the sky. We breast them out and ground them into pepper sticks.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Ribeye in the Sky - 09/30/20 03:24 PM

They do taste like beef to me not strong at all but very lean and the older ones can be tough.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Ribeye in the Sky - 09/30/20 04:16 PM

Braska just be sure and shoot the brown shaded birds, the juveniles. There is a huge taste difference between them and the prettier all grey/silver adults.
I have killed scores in our Sask camp and eaten a lot. Fix them simply and make sure you do not overcook them. To me they are far and away better tasting than any bird that flies and yes very much like rib eye.

Well better than all but eagle maybe, but people sure get wound up when you bring a limit of those in.

Osky
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Ribeye in the Sky - 09/30/20 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Osky
Braska just be sure and shoot the brown shaded birds, the juveniles. There is a huge taste difference between them and the prettier all grey/silver adults.
I have killed scores in our Sask camp and eaten a lot. Fix them simply and make sure you do not overcook them. To me they are far and away better tasting than any bird that flies and yes very much like rib eye.

Well better than all but eagle maybe, but people sure get wound up when you bring a limit of those in.

Osky

grin grin grin
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Ribeye in the Sky - 09/30/20 05:58 PM

Eastern Colo. out by Limon has a season.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Ribeye in the Sky - 09/30/20 06:30 PM

Was down in the panhandle of Texas a couple years ago, east of Amarillo, there were thousands of them there, maybe tens of thousands.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Ribeye in the Sky - 09/30/20 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Was down in the panhandle of Texas a couple years ago, east of Amarillo, there were thousands of them there, maybe tens of thousands.

Yes. I used to guide some guys from that area on pheasant hunts up here. They hunted them a lot and said the panhandle of Texas was the go to place for a great hunt.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Ribeye in the Sky - 09/30/20 08:51 PM

Killed a few In Alaska. We called them flying pot roasts.
Posted By: Knappett

Re: Ribeye in the Sky - 09/30/20 09:24 PM

Man i wish there was a season for them here.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Ribeye in the Sky - 09/30/20 09:47 PM

We shot them In Manitoba.
WI Is talking about getting a season here. But I think It's going to be tough to get It approved.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Ribeye in the Sky - 09/30/20 11:31 PM

I have shot my share of them here in ND. I have even shot them flying over my yard. I will say if you mix equal parts crane, beef and pork, season it up and stuff it in a casing, then smoke it. It is almost as good as the sausage with out crane. I have never thought of a ribeye or beef when eating them. I have thought of broke lawn chair falling from the sky when shooting them though. They are usually starting to pull out about 20-23 OCt here. There will still be a few around after that, but you are past the peak by me. I shoot most mine over decoys.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Ribeye in the Sky - 10/01/20 02:40 AM

Ok, I aint ever been a duck/goose shootin sort....So I gotta ask......What is it ya'll are shootin that tastes like a cow?

Re: Ribeye in the Sky - 10/01/20 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by il.trapper
Ok, I aint ever been a duck/goose shootin sort....So I gotta ask......What is it ya'll are shootin that tastes like a cow?

Sandhill Cranes
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Ribeye in the Sky - 10/01/20 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by il.trapper

Sandhill's Crane
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Ribeye in the Sky - 10/01/20 02:45 AM

awww.......... we aint got none of them here that I ever heard of. Thank goodness.....just be something else for me to get in trouble chasin after.
Posted By: Ringneck1

Re: Ribeye in the Sky - 10/01/20 03:02 AM

Lubbock Texas. Dec, January. Book a hunt to hunt cranes over stuffed decoys in peanut fields. You'll never forget it. Eastern Colorado, no. I have shot two here my whole life. They just don't stay long enough.

Re: Ribeye in the Sky - 10/01/20 03:09 AM

Thanks for the info guys, it will probably be next year as im building a new house and I doubt my wife will let that one fly until that project is done. Plus side is i get to make a new fur shed just how I want it.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Ribeye in the Sky - 10/01/20 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Osky

Osky

I think they taste kinda like a cross between a baby harp seal and a California condor! grin
© 2024 Trapperman Forums