Home

Large Flint Rock ...Treasure

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Large Flint Rock ...Treasure - 10/01/20 12:49 AM

In 1982 I Was at a RR Event in Pigeon Forge Tennessee.
In the Frontier Camping Fraternity Village (F.C.F. ) as it was known before "unnecessary name change.

I was Walking around in full Frontier leathers and Newly traded for Fisher hat. Yes it was Hot...but I was 17 and you wanted to be cool at Rendezvous.

Anyway 38 years ago I Traded for This monster piece of Tennessee Flint
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's been one of my Treasures all these years. I need new sharp flint for my Fire starting flint-n-steel kit....but I'm reluctant to break this Rock up.

Someday I want to get back to Tennessee on vacation just to pick Flint grin
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Large Flint Rock ...Treasure - 10/01/20 01:59 AM

If you go through Ks on the east end, about any road cut has veins of flint in them too, it's called the flint hills for a reason.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Large Flint Rock ...Treasure - 10/01/20 02:06 AM

Flint Ridge in Ohio is a great source for good quality flint too. I grabbed some from where they were doing road construction.

Keith
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Large Flint Rock ...Treasure - 10/01/20 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Flint Ridge in Ohio is a great source for good quality flint too. I grabbed some from where they were doing road construction.

Keith

I have been to the Nethers farm on the flint ridge to dig for flint knapping material. Great old lady to talk to and a beautiful place. Dig all you want for 50 cents a pound. Very colorful stuff and good quality.

Re: Large Flint Rock ...Treasure - 10/01/20 02:22 AM

Well I know it cannot be this year...no Vacation to be had in 2020

Thanks for the suggestions
Posted By: VermillionCoon

Re: Large Flint Rock ...Treasure - 10/01/20 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Michigander

Keith

I have been to the Nethers farm on the flint ridge to dig for flint knapping material. Great old lady to talk to and a beautiful place. Dig all you want for 50 cents a pound. Very colorful stuff and good quality.

So I live a mile from Flint Ridge Park. I can pick up a bucketful of the stuff along the creek in my back yard in less than 30 minutes. Some pretty cool colors mixed in. Heck people around here will line their driveways with huge chunks and of it. They have the big annual knap-in at the park every year. Only time of the year when my road gets busy.
Posted By: VermillionCoon

Re: Large Flint Rock ...Treasure - 10/01/20 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Michigander

Keith

Hah Nethers Farm.......you cant throw a rock around here without hitting a house owned by a Nethers. Most common name around here.
Posted By: run

Re: Large Flint Rock ...Treasure - 10/01/20 10:02 AM

Nice rock 330 trapper.

Re: Large Flint Rock ...Treasure - 10/01/20 01:25 PM

Boy That Would be fun!!!! Wish we had flint here.

Thanks run^
Posted By: Trapper Bo

Re: Large Flint Rock ...Treasure - 10/01/20 01:35 PM

I hate to think how many flint rocks I picked up and tossed in the woods from the crop fields. Dad always had us out there “picking rocks”

Re: Large Flint Rock ...Treasure - 10/03/20 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
If you go through Ks on the east end, about any road cut has veins of flint in them too, it's called the flint hills for a reason.

My Daughter and her husband called yesterday from the " flint hills" KS. While driving to Texas

What a Deal!!!! Thanks !!!
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Large Flint Rock ...Treasure - 10/03/20 01:07 PM

Very cool chunk of flint!!

Re: Large Flint Rock ...Treasure - 10/03/20 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tom cat
Very cool chunk of flint!!

It really is! It was a fun Trade
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Large Flint Rock ...Treasure - 10/03/20 04:33 PM

I have a big chunk I picked up in the drive to Myrtle Beach many years ago. I think I picked it up around the Olentangee river in Ohio but I don't really remember
© 2024 Trapperman Forums