Home

Pressure cooker question

Posted By: Tactical.20

Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 01:41 AM

I got a new 23 qt pressure cooker to can meat.
I tried it out with a big burner on stove 3/4 they way wide open it would only go to 60 kPa, thats about 8 lbs i think, meat needs 15 lbs, i wonder if gauge is no good?
I think i maxed the pressure because the two weighted relief valve were giving off steam
Any suggestions?
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 01:55 AM

I would have to say the pressure gauge is faulty. Generally, you should be able to get all the pressure you need at med-high, then reduce to med-low to maintain pressure. I would take it back.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 02:03 AM

23 qt??? Is that 23 qt jars? If that is the case it will take while to build pressure. The "rattles" shouldn't let steam out as the pressure builds. If they do start rattlin it is up to pressure.

bad pressure gauges do happen though, mine is about 2.5-3 lbs off.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 02:11 AM

BTW, mine is a 23 qt Presto canner.

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 02:23 AM

The presto ones come with lbs gauge, this one has the other gauge, i ordered an american lb gauge, hope thats it!
I can set 10 pint jars in it, i wonder if its ok to set more on top of the ten?
I haven't tried yet to see how many qt jars it will hold.
Its probably 23 qts for cooking big batches of food in it.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 02:45 AM

Ok...should hold 7 qts. I get mine up to about 10lbs in an average of ten-15 minutes. After that I turn it down till I get the pressure I want or need.
Posted By: cotton

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 02:51 AM

wife tells me to never stack the jars.
7 quarts or 10 pints is what it will can.
can't help ya with the gauge ours has a jingle
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 02:58 AM

Following the instructions in the Canning Blue Book, I do not even put the weight on until I have a solid stream of steam for 10 minutes. That insures that the canner is full of steam when you start building pressure. I have the All American 30 qt. canner. It hold 30 qts of liguid, hence the 30 qt. size. Mine hold 14 qt. jars or 19 pint jars.

It also has a pressure gage and a weight to control pressure. I only pay attention to to the pressure gage to know when the pressure has dropped to zero before I open the canner. On the high end, I trust the weight over the gage.

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 03:00 AM

Ok thanks cotton, i tried my 40 year old one and it over cooked first batch, so I bought a new one.
Wife says the world is coming to an end so i figured i would can some beef, elk n deer
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 03:07 AM

how much water are you putting in it ?

you can stack if you have a setup to hold the jars off each other , I have an old canner that came with a rack to get the second set of pints over the first layer

if the weight rattle and vent then you should be at pressure probably bad gauge

when you start it up do you leave the weight off for one minute of good rushing steam then put the weight on ?
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 03:12 AM

A 22 /23 quart canner will hold 7 quart jars, or 18 pint jars stacked up.

sea level weight / gauge
0 – 1,000 10 lb / 11 lb
1,001 – 2,000 15 / 11
2,001 – 4,000 15 / 12
4,001 – 6,000 15 / 13
6,001 – 8,000 15 / 14
8,001 – 10,000 15 / 15

Charlie
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 03:20 AM

I have a Presto that holds 7 quarts. I put mine on the big burner and put the setting on high until I get to the lbs. of pressure I want or need and adjust down so it stays at the right level for the desired time.

Bryce

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 03:23 AM

I have a Presto that holds 7 quarts. I put mine on the big burner and put the setting on high until I get to the lbs. of pressure I want or need and adjust down so it stays at the right level for the desired time. One way to find out if your gauge is faulty is to turn the burner to high and watch closely. If you can't get past 8-10 lbs. something is wrong. Also if the release or relief valve does not pop up it won't be your gauge, the cooker is not getting hot enough.

Bryce
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 05:11 AM

You can stack more jars on top of the other jars. It says so right in the book.

Cotton, ya know how us women are always telling men to read the instructions? Turn it around and tell your wife to read her canner instruction booklet LOL
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Cotton, ya know how us women are always telling men to read the instructions? Turn it around and tell your wife to read her canner instruction booklet LOL

That’s funny stuff right there. lol
Posted By: trappermac NY

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly
Following the instructions in the Canning Blue Book, I do not even put the weight on until I have a solid stream of steam for 10 minutes. That insures that the canner is full of steam when you start building pressure. I have the All American 30 qt. canner. It hold 30 qts of liguid, hence the 30 qt. size. Mine hold 14 qt. jars or 19 pint jars.

It also has a pressure gage and a weight to control pressure. I only pay attention to to the pressure gage to know when the pressure has dropped to zero before I open the canner. On the high end, I trust the weight over the gage.

I do it exactly the same here, same canner. You want your pressure weight to jiggle 1- 4 times per minute, indicates you're maintaining correct pressure. Less than that you don't have enough pressure, more than that you're heading too high. For canning meat 90 mins at 10lbs is recommended, 15 lbs if you are living at over 1000 ft elevation.

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
how much water are you putting in it ?

you can stack if you have a setup to hold the jars off each other , I have an old canner that came with a rack to get the second set of pints over the first layer

if the weight rattle and vent then you should be at pressure probably bad gauge

when you start it up do you leave the weight off for one minute of good rushing steam then put the weight on ?

I put a qt or more water in, the pressure valve was open when i started cooking, ill try it again.
The weights arent the jiggling ones i think
I have a rack to seperate jars
Posted By: Antelope Montana

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 02:03 PM

You might want to check and see if the bottom end of the pressure gauge under the lid is plugged.
I just ordered one from Walmart shipped to my house for a hundred bucks( 23 quart presto)
Amazon wanted more.

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 02:29 PM

It should be good its brand new i rinsed lid off, nothing on it
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 02:58 PM

Mine has a pressure valve that pops up after you put the weight on when the pressure starts to build. Sometimes mine sticks. If you put the weight on and after a bit the valve hasn't closed, tap it with a knife and see if it pops up.

What brand is yours?

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 04:58 PM

Gourmet trends, tried email to company no response

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/03/20 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly

Ill do that, i didn't know it would affect it that much, it came with almost no information in the manual

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/05/20 04:27 PM

I figured it out, the weights that come with the canner are 70kpa, 10 lbs,
For crying out loud! Only option, need 15 lbs for meat
Im gonna order an all american no gasket pressure cooker
Posted By: Antelope Montana

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/05/20 04:32 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-50332-Pressure-Canner-Regulator/dp/B000HMBVQ8
This might help you and you might find it cheaper elsewhere I don't know but it'll get you up to 15 pounds for about 13 or $14

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/05/20 04:46 PM

Well it sure is not the same 23 qt. Presto I have as I have nearly a 100 page book with all the settings for different foods, water boiling the whole thing. Mine came with one weight and then once you hit the desired level you adjust the heat source to maintain. My gauge shows that over 20lbs. is dangerous. Mine also states not to be used on open flame. I bought another 16 qt. granite wear pressure cooker I use with my turkey fryer unit and propane.

Bryce
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/05/20 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Cotton, don't do it..Angela must be mad at you or something!!

Ask yourself if you want to be right or if you want to be happy!!!
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/06/20 12:41 AM

LOL
Posted By: eedup

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/06/20 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20
I figured it out, the weights that come with the canner are 70kpa, 10 lbs,
For crying out loud! Only option, need 15 lbs for meat
Im gonna order an all american no gasket pressure cooker

Ten pounds is fine for meat just longer duration, ten pounds ninety minutes, 15 pounds seventy five min...or that's what I was taught and have used for years
Posted By: charles

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/06/20 02:30 AM

It is amazing how little flame it requires to maintain pressure once the desired level is achieved. I will say I tried canning outdoors and the breeze made it very difficult to maintain a desired pressure.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/06/20 04:06 AM

Your elevation above sea level has to be figure in your pressure and time.
Posted By: Stanley

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/07/20 11:29 AM

I use pressure cookers often. It was a staple in the kitchen growing up.

Meat. 10 to 15 lbs of pressure for 90 minutes. Wide mouth quart jars. I pack in raw cleaned up meat. One large table spoon of Beef Base paste or Au Jus paste . I like the Au Jus better. That is it. Venison, Black bear, Beef all come out great. Works great on black Bear, the fat ends up at the top of the jar. Discard it, heat and eat.

STANLEY
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/07/20 12:00 PM

At our elevation, the table shows 12 pounds. I use to mess with trying to maintain 12 pounds on my dial gauge. Now I actually just use the 15 pound weighted gauge. Way easier as far as adjusting. No difference in quality, that we could tell from meat done at 12 pounds.

Tac20, you can still use your 10 pound cooker for simple meal pressure cooking. One of my favorites:
Throw a Deer neck in there with an onion and a quart or two of water. Cook it at 10 pounds for 45 minutes. Remove bones, add some boiled Or frozen vegetables and canned tomatoes to the meat. Awesome fast stew. It’s also a great way to make meat for French dip sandwiches or pulled bbq venison.
Posted By: Paul D. Heppner

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/07/20 12:55 PM

15 psi = 103.421 kPa

Re: Pressure cooker question - 10/07/20 08:58 PM

Yup, if i can't get the right weights ill buy an All American one
© 2024 Trapperman Forums