Home

Long John Recommendations

Posted By: Pike River

Long John Recommendations - 10/05/20 11:22 PM

I usually buy the cheap Hanes or Jockey long John's. They're OK and I wear them for longer than I should.

Curious if there are warmer, more comfortable long John's out there that won't break the bank? I'm not in the arctic, just the northern Great Lakes.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 12:18 AM

Anything polypropylene...almost too hot for our winters, but I never get cold.

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 12:40 AM

Sorry friend but hard to believe folks in SW Georgia wear long underwear with any purpose.
Posted By: Nate L

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 12:41 AM

I agree that anything polypropylene is good.

I also wear Filson Merino wool long johns quite often when hunting or ice fishing.
Posted By: Prn

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Sorry friend but hard to believe folks in SW Georgia wear long underwear with any purpose.

I was thinking the same thing haha
Posted By: trap_crazy

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 12:43 AM

the carhartt base force top and bottoms work great, and dont restrict too much movement!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 01:26 AM

It got down in the 20’s a couple of years ago...and highs in the 40’s. Now that’s COLD for here, lol!
Posted By: wvmntnhick

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 01:46 AM

Merino wool. Don’t sell yourself short brother. Cotton is killer if you end up sweating.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 01:58 AM

I do when out all day when temps go into the teens which means I might wear them a once or twice a year. Nice thing is a set of long handles will last for years. Mine are over twenty years old.

I prefer wool over poly but have both in my preferred union suit. Folks laugh at my trap door long handles but with a button up shirt on top I can get down to bare skin to regulate the heat.

Look at the duofold union but it is a two layer cotton inside wool outer. If you sweat up enough to soak the cotton you'll freeze. It's best to ventilate rather than sweat.

Poly isn't as much of an issue with sweat other than being clammy in a heavy sweat and getting funky smelling.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 02:03 AM

I like the Chocolate Long Johns from Kwik Trip.

Moosetrot

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot

Moosetrot

Probably like them filled too.... shocked
Posted By: Ole

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 03:19 AM

Patagonia is warm but very breathable and not that clammy feeling. Different weights available.
Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot

Moosetrot

My dad is a maple guy.
Posted By: oneoldboot

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 09:00 AM

Don't by under armor! Useless!
Posted By: timbremn

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 01:25 PM

MINUS 33 100% merino wool. They come in light, mid, and heavy weight. They're not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either. You get what you pay for.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 02:32 PM

I have several pair of these , I wear most all winter

https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...pedition-weight-poly-fleece-bottoms.html

had some going on around 7 years now

if you can catch them on sale they get down to about $25
Posted By: waggler

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by oneoldboot
Don't by under armor! Useless!

I would disagree with that. Why didn't they work for you. They make them is a few different weights, I like their 2.0 for general use.
There is nothing magical about Under Armor, they are just a well known brand of poly long-johns. I will use any of them.

The one bit of advice I would give you though when buying UA is to buy a size larger than you normally wear. For some reason they fit them way too tight, probably so narcissists' and show-offs can expose their physique.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 02:48 PM

Cotton will kill you.

Wool is great if you have a way to dry them when they get wet. They will keep you relatively warm when wet, but if you are on an extended excursion in the field wool is hard to dry out when it gets wet.

I have come to really like Poly, I used to be a wool guy. If you get sweaty or wet while wearing poly, simply strip down to your long-johns and long-T and stand in an exposed spot with your arms outstretched and you will dry out pretty fast; especially if their is a little breeze.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 02:54 PM

Carhartt.union suits.Love em
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/06/20 02:57 PM

the work & sport poly dries very well , you can work up sweat clear through and they dry out decent rather than holding it all in

part of the reason I like them , I work up a sweat very easily

the work and sport also seem to take the cloths dryer well

my first pair of poly propylene long underwear was early 1990s it went in the cloths drier and melted parts , not good it took me a bunch of years before I tried the poly again the first time my Work & sports went through the drier not on low I though for sure they were toast but they were fine. I would still keep the drier set to low , they dry plenty fast any way.

I I have collected up a pair for each day of the week hardly a day I don't wear them all winter
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Long John Recommendations - 10/07/20 03:09 PM

Sitka heavy weight tops and bottoms. I'm not a warm person, but the heavy weight top over a light weight merino wool or poly top is the warmest combo I have found. Even when trapping in -0° weather. It ain't cheap either, but Sheel's or camofire.com are the lowest price I have found in the past.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums