Home

National Forest Road closures

Posted By: Anonymous

National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 02:14 AM

President Trump has been awesome in opening up a bunch of National Forest Roads that the Obama Secretary of the Interior closed. The Obama administration was horrendous to those of us who want to "drive on in." They were basically shutting off access to large expanses of public land.

Trump has been AWESOME!
Open for business.
Fossil fuels and open forest roads = more trapping ground out of a truck.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: mnsota

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 02:20 AM

So true Mark,..I remember many forest roads closed off.

Thank You Trump!,...now to deal with local jurisdictions. Somewhat of a problem up here!
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 02:23 AM

Yes Mr. Trump means more money in all American pockets too. I'm very worried about the effects of Biden if he is elected on our economy not to mention all the land we will loose access to, rights to guns and on and on.

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 02:28 AM

Understood mnsota. I had a prime public (state) tract of land in western Nebraska that got a "new" supervisor. "New" meaning, I am the new regulation. I met with him when I learned he had said no to trapping on the public ground, which he had no legal standing to decree, and because I was an out of state trapper, now living in Texas, I had no real recourse. I could have raised a stink (and may have if prices were higher) but it's sad when an anti-trapper becomes the new regulation where there shouldn't be any by state law.

If I lived in that area, I'd be a good old project to wage trapping war on for sure.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Savell

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 02:28 AM

... I can get a wider truck now... they never left much room between the gate post and nearest pine tree lol

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by John-Chagnon
Yes Mr. Trump means more money in all American pockets too. I'm very worried about the effects of Biden if he is elected on our economy not to mention all the land we will loose access to, rights to guns and on and on.

John,

How's the fishing been?

Donna says hello!

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Birdman382

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 04:38 AM

Having a hard time getting fired up about trapping. My one farm now is all hayfield and pastured by beef cows. They are not seeing coyotes on trail camera's. So where do i set? Another farmer called to ask me to trap the coon out of his buildings. I checked today and yes coon tracks but I want to wait for the season so I can at least get gas money for trip of 20 miles one way but man there are coon. Our season is the 24th of Oct. So I think he can wait.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 10:29 AM

Interesting.Awhile back the Forest Service announced road closures in the Hiawatha National Forest,many of them access points along the Sturgeon River(awhile back means a couple of years ago).The head honcho of this district is a woman who's the wife of a co worker of mine from when I worked for the Feds.I'm not going to say she's an anti,but I wouldn't be surprised
Posted By: white marlin

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 10:39 AM

as dry as it's been, it wouldn't be a surprise if some roads that WERE open are now temporarily closed.

not saying that's the case, but it WOULD make sense...
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 10:42 AM

I'm glad to hear this as well.......however, It is disappointing how the general pubic throws trash out everywhere they go. The ATV's will also be welcome, I would imagine, and I hate to see what that has done to places in Wyoming that used to be very nice to go to. Heck, I pick up trash every morning here in our city park. It's disgusting that people can't appreciate and take care of what we have.
Posted By: Spade

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 10:45 AM

The Forrest Service is nothing more than a federal run logging operation.

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 10:53 AM

People continue to be more disrespectful as time goes on. This summer, wardens in Colorado discovered more than 60 unattended campfires burning in campgrounds and likely on BLM land as well. It's a wonder there aren't more fires than there is.

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 11:37 AM

The world continues it's march towards each person listening only to their 3 high priests; me, myself, and I.
Why would I put out a fire if I'm done with it and need to leave? I don't care if it burns down Colorado. I'm going to NM.
Why would I look out my car window at others around me? I have my music playing, my phone plugged in, and I'm headed where I'm headed. Who cares where you're headed to.
Why would I pick up my trash when I'm not coming back here. I don't want that trash in my truck.

It's said the post-modern world may well be a land of millions of self-centered individual "bubbles," each floating on the winds of personal truth to whereverland.

Maybe you've seen some of this in action Gary?
It's not hard to witness.
We hear it often as people proclaim, "I'm outta here. I can't take people anymore. Me, myself, and I are fed up."
It's ok to shake our heads and wonder and then wade into it all with a smile and a handshake. Mess with all the high priests a bit.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Boco

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 11:49 AM

I think a lot of people are less intelligent as far as common sense goes these days,than they were in the 60's.People nowadays seem to want someone else to solve their problems for them too.Back in the day if you wanted a problem solved you generally grabbed the bull by the horn and did what needed doin,since we mostly had the common sense to assess the situation and act on it without second guessing.
Too many wishy washy wimps around these days.
There also seems to be a large demographic these days that doesnt trust anyone.That comes from immaturity which manifests itself in insecurity.
Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 12:08 PM

Well said Boco

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 12:30 PM

Boco,
Perhaps we have been trained to be Googlers?
Posted By: Steve D

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
People continue to be more disrespectful as time goes on. This summer, wardens in Colorado discovered more than 60 unattended campfires burning in campgrounds and likely on BLM land as well. It's a wonder there aren't more fires than there is.

BLM has land?? grin crazy shocked

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Steve D
Originally Posted by Gary Benson

BLM has land?? grin crazy shocked

Okay, you got me there. Didn't even realize what I was saying. Give'em time they'll have it all!!!

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mark June
The world continues it's march towards each person listening only to their 3 high priests; me, myself, and I.
Why would I put out a fire if I'm done with it and need to leave? I don't care if it burns down Colorado. I'm going to NM.
Why would I look out my car window at others around me? I have my music playing, my phone plugged in, and I'm headed where I'm headed. Who cares where you're headed to.
Why would I pick up my trash when I'm not coming back here. I don't want that trash in my truck.

It's said the post-modern world may well be a land of millions of self-centered individual "bubbles," each floating on the winds of personal truth to whereverland.

Maybe you've seen some of this in action Gary?
It's not hard to witness.
We hear it often as people proclaim, "I'm outta here. I can't take people anymore. Me, myself, and I are fed up."
It's ok to shake our heads and wonder and then wade into it all with a smile and a handshake. Mess with all the high priests a bit.

Blessings,
Mark

China and cities in general seem to be millions of people scurrying around but pay no attention to each other.
Yes, I'm a "get away from other people" kind of guy.
I'm not good at wading into people with a smile and a handshake. I just can't roll that way. laugh
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 11:25 PM

Agree with Mark 100%
Posted By: cmcf

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/06/20 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Spade

Maybe where you are but in the western states USFS means hunting, fishing, trapping, snowmobiling, hiking, camping, x country skiing cheep-free firewood, mushroom gathering, and probably a half dozen other things I haven’t thought of like birding. But by all means keep the misinformation flowing, maybe those of us that live here won’t have to put up with near as many out of staters come fall or their trash, or rutted up side roads or gut shot big game animals left to waste unattended fires and the list goes on and on
Posted By: charles

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/07/20 12:12 AM

I live inthe East and we don’t have BLM land, but it was always frustrating in MT and CO. What ticked me off was the roads were passable to snowmobiles who drove around the gates. Go figure.

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/07/20 12:20 AM

Perhaps the lands are managed by some who fit the description I outlined earlier?

Why do I care what you think when I'm the big-cheese and my 3 high priests preach to me day and night.
I have no use for your thoughts, comments, and lately.... laws.
I am the law in a post-modern world.
Ask anyone who they trust most?
Most will say "me."

This is not the first time in history this has happened.
The high priests of me, myself, and I run boats aground every day.
My high priests usually prefer to navigate when I drive. Ask Donna grin

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Gulo

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/07/20 12:27 AM

I imagine I'll irritate a few on here (maybe the majority?) and opine that I am in favor of most road closures on federal land (USFS, BLM). The loud and mostly rude UTVers, OHVers, and other littering scumbags have (literally) thousands upon thousands of miles of roads and trails in Idaho upon which to "play". There ought to be areas that are off-limits to them so if someone wants to use the "quads" that they were born with, they can do so without the noise, exhaust, and garbage from the motorized crowds. Gates, Kelly-humps, and other road closures are my friends.

I'll start a batch of good popcorn for all the hate I'm anticipating...

Jack
Posted By: waggler

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/07/20 12:28 AM

Say what?
Not on the west coast they aren't. They are generally opposed to logging out here.
It's hard to even get them to do a thin, or manage for healthy forests.
They are opposed to anyone making a dollar in usfs lands. They would rather see them burn.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/07/20 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by waggler

Say what?
Not on the west coast they aren't. They are generally opposed to logging out here.
It's hard to even get them to do a thin, or manage for healthy forests.
They are opposed to anyone making a dollar in usfs lands. They would rather see them burn.

X2

The forest circus here is made up of libtard environmentalist
Posted By: caldwellite

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/07/20 12:47 AM

All National Forest and BLM land in Idaho now has a Travel Plan. All roads and trails open to use are on the Plan with the type of use identified . The time of use is included , like fall for hunting or winter for Snowmobiles. The days of just driving in the Sagebrush are long gone.

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/07/20 01:29 AM

All those wagon trains back in the day sure were a blight on the landscape too.
Dust, littering, and people singing those old hymns disturbed the serenity of the prairie.
Folks killing all the wolves and almost exterminating the buffalo.

My, oh my, how urban legends live on.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/07/20 01:35 AM

, maybe those of us that live here won’t have to put up with near as many out of staters come fall or their trash, or rutted up side roads or gut shot big game animals left to waste unattended fires and the list goes on and on [/quote]
I hear the same thing here,but my experience has been the locals are far more of a problem.The out of towners know next to nothing of the area,while people who grew up there know where all the trails are,2tracks,river systems,where the local law lives and his hours,etc.The problems don't go away because the out of towners get locked out.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/07/20 01:53 AM

Hi Mark,

All good here. Perch are in. Sheri and I spend a lot of time on lake. Say hi to Donna too the most enthusiast fishing lady Sheri and I have ever met.
Posted By: Spade

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/07/20 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by cmcf

Maybe where you are but in the western states USFS means hunting, fishing, trapping, snowmobiling, hiking, camping, x country skiing cheep-free firewood, mushroom gathering, and probably a half dozen other things I haven’t thought of like birding. But by all means keep the misinformation flowing, maybe those of us that live here won’t have to put up with near as many out of staters come fall or their trash, or rutted up side roads or gut shot big game animals left to waste unattended fires and the list goes on and on

It sure sounds like you have a better forrest service than here, and I can only speak about where I live. Yes we can hunt and do other outdoor activites, we have to pay to gather fire wood, I have to pay a yearly fee to the FS to get to my home, I have to maintain the road to get to my home I can't stop the ATV and UtVs from driving on the forrest road, that I'm required to pay for and maintain. My gate to my property had to be approved by the forrest service and had to be like their gates (not cheap).
Logging companies who gets the bids, come in and cut the roads, we can't cut fire wood while their in operation, not suppose to drive their roads with my atv. Upon completion of their operation the FS blocks the roads, with stumps and dirt and huge rocks, and then declare it a Primitive wildlife area, so you cant drive your atv, utc, or snowmobile. 1 area I like to trap, I now have to walk 3 miles, because the FS road has been closed, after logging the area.

Like you, I don't care for the idiots, (locals and out of staters) that tear up the roads, leave their trash, and deplore seeing it

You call it misinformation, I call it my experience with the FS
Posted By: Ole

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/07/20 09:08 PM

If we had half the population we would likely have half the regulations on use of public lands. Maybe the problem isn't the public land managers but the people who use the land irresponsibly. How do you fix stupid? Mean of me to say that, but that's how I feel sometimes.

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/07/20 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gulo
I imagine I'll irritate a few on here (maybe the majority?) and opine that I am in favor of most road closures on federal land (USFS, BLM). The loud and mostly rude UTVers, OHVers, and other littering scumbags have (literally) thousands upon thousands of miles of roads and trails in Idaho upon which to "play". There ought to be areas that are off-limits to them so if someone wants to use the "quads" that they were born with, they can do so without the noise, exhaust, and garbage from the motorized crowds. Gates, Kelly-humps, and other road closures are my friends.

I'll start a batch of good popcorn for all the hate I'm anticipating...

Jack

I'll stand by you. If a person can't exert a little energy and walk in the mountains, stay home and get fatter.

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/07/20 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ole
If we had half the population we would likely have half the regulations on use of public lands. Maybe the problem isn't the public land managers but the people who use the land irresponsibly. How do you fix stupid? Mean of me to say that, but that's how I feel sometimes.

Now everybody in the USA wants to move to Idaho to get away from the riots and idiocy.
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/08/20 03:54 AM

Gulo
I agree. If a road isn't open to everyone it should be closed to all. I am not a fan of atvs,snowmobiles or any other motorized vehicles off-road. When I hike it seems I always come home with someone elses garbage. I don't understand how you can pack in a full beer can but can't pack out the empty. Unfortunately there aren't enough rangers and wardens to patrol the roads well enough to enforce the closures, so while it is against the law to go off-road most people do anyway.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/08/20 05:21 AM

The road closures and travel bans started under Clinton. Unfortunately fs managers are allowed to implement these bans without proper input.

I like the system Oregon has that closes roads during hunting seasons to give animals escape areas. Then are reopened to public travel other times of the year. They do other closures during calving seasons and wintering grounds to protect the animals.
Posted By: danvee

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/08/20 03:40 PM

Mark the department of interior does not manage Forest Service administered lands the department of Agriculture does. But for your info the new director of the BLM administered lands wants to sell off our public lands. Get your facts straight also the directors of both agencies are not the ones that close the roads its done through land management plans that are directed by local politics and comment for the most part and are reviewed and amended every 10 years. I have grazing permits on public lands and in part roads have been closed because people can not stay on open roads leave litter and fires. Maybe the so called sportsman need to police their ranks. I have closed my properties which I use to keep open and allowed free access no permission necessary, not anymore! to much poaching damage and disrespect to the land.
Posted By: hippie

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/08/20 03:43 PM

Must be a miserable life.
Posted By: wallfur

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/08/20 04:07 PM

Gary Benson]People continue to be more disrespectful as time goes on. This summer, wardens in Colorado discovered more than 60 unattended campfires burning in campgrounds and likely on BLM land as well. It's a wonder there aren't more fires than there is.

BLM has land?? grin crazy shocked[/quote]...

Yes they own every Democrat run city!!!!! Oh and the bureau of land management owns some land to but will be reserved for special interest groups under Democrats
Posted By: danvee

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/08/20 04:24 PM

All I know is any politician trying to sell off our public land is a crook!
Posted By: James

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/08/20 04:50 PM

The national forest roads were closed around here during Bush II's reign.

Jim
Posted By: wallfur

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/08/20 05:20 PM

Danvee...do you mean Harry Reid and the Chinese under Obama?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/08/20 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mark June
Boco,
Perhaps we have been trained to be Googlers?

beyond that the same questions over and over get asked on facebook for months .

you can see it in their text and hear it in their questions.

when a person is coming from the idea they should be regulated What can I do?

opposed to I am a free person. What restriction are they placing in my way?

I saw one the other day guys wife let her CCL expire. Did she need to take the training over again? proof of training here is proof of training doesn't matter if it is you DD214 from 1947 or your Hunters ED from 1990 or the class you took last week. once you have a proof of training you have it.

I have a suspicion the making it so easy to have people constantly rely on online information is a tactic , like 1984 when the chocolate ration was increased to 70 grams never mind it had been 100 grams there were no records of this available to the people.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/09/20 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by danvee
All I know is any politician trying to sell off our public land is a crook!

I have bought several parcels of public land from the collective and turned it into private property. Truly an un-American thing to do. I apologize! crazy

Re: National Forest Road closures - 10/09/20 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by danvee
Mark the department of interior does not manage Forest Service administered lands the department of Agriculture does. But for your info the new director of the BLM administered lands wants to sell off our public lands. Get your facts straight also the directors of both agencies are not the ones that close the roads its done through land management plans that are directed by local politics and comment for the most part and are reviewed and amended every 10 years. I have grazing permits on public lands and in part roads have been closed because people can not stay on open roads leave litter and fires. Maybe the so called sportsman need to police their ranks. I have closed my properties which I use to keep open and allowed free access no permission necessary, not anymore! to much poaching damage and disrespect to the land.

My slip of the pen danvee. You are correct. It is the US Forest Service. My contacts didn't blame the Ag dept at the time of the closures. They blamed the Interior dudes. It doesn't really matter does it? Closed is as closed does. And they got closed during Obama and reopened under Trump.

Seems you get right to the point; "Get your facts straight." Check.
Seems you also have a hardened view of those who use public land; "so called sportsman need to police their ranks." Check.
I hope things get better where you need them to be better. Check.

Blessings,
Mark
© 2024 Trapperman Forums