Home

12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER

Posted By: Actor

12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/06/20 02:40 PM

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/12-of-the-biggest-punishments-ever-handed-to-poachers/

Garry-
Posted By: Cragar

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/06/20 02:59 PM

Lol....interesting article.

I took hunter safety class a little later in life than some , in my early 20's. Went with a friend who was about the same age. I came from a non-hunting family so , I did this on my own. Not an anti-hunting family , just non-hunting.

On one side of the classroom there was a bunch of 12ish year olds there with their dads. On the other side there was an assortment of 30-40-50 year olds. My buddy and I kinda figured this out , the older group were probably there because they got spanked and had to take the class over again because of something they did. You could tell this was the case because they showed very little interest and were just sitting there enduring the class.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/06/20 03:05 PM

All about the antlers.
Its not deer hunting any more its antler hunting.
Anything and everything goes out the window just to get them antlers.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/06/20 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty D
All about the antlers.

I agree.I don't believe this is where antler worshippers intended it to go,but it's where it went.When you have people sawing off racks from roadkills things have gotten way out of hand.

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/06/20 05:35 PM

Hey Marty... couldn't open the link... it said it couldn't be found.

I personally hate those pen raised racks, that so many think are so wonderful. I think they are about the ugliest things in the wild kingdom. If there isn't a grouping for trophies of those ugly racks, there should be. I guess they should have a contest for the ugliest. Saying they are great, is like saying Hilary Clinton is beautiful.

Garry-
Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/06/20 06:00 PM

my favorite was eleven with the extra 5 cents. I don't know why I found it funny but I did. not about the poaching just the 5 cents. people don't hunt for food anymore they only care about antlers. the meat from a deer would feed a low income family that couldn't afford meat for a while. I hate poachers!
Posted By: Marty B

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/06/20 07:51 PM

NE poaching case
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/06/20 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cragar

I took hunter safety class a little later in life than some , in my early 20's. Went with a friend who was about the same age. I came from a non-hunting family so , I did this on my own. Not an anti-hunting family , just non-hunting.

On one side of the classroom there was a bunch of 12ish year olds there with their dads. On the other side there was an assortment of 30-40-50 year olds. My buddy and I kinda figured this out , the older group were probably there because they got spanked and had to take the class over again because of something they did. You could tell this was the case because they showed very little interest and were just sitting there enduring the class.

One reason you might see older hunters/folks in a Hunter Ed class is they need the HE Certification to hunt in many or most states out west.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/06/20 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty D
All about the antlers.

Sad truth. Braggers boasters and blowhards with their tv shows promoting nothing but antlers and looking and acting like they're having a heart attack after the shot. Making a new age of hunters that is fast loosing sight of the true outdoor experience. The worst enemy of most things comes from within. Seeing these people break laws ruins hunting for everyone. Antis see this and spread the word that we're all like that. One bad apple can ruin the batch
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/06/20 10:34 PM

Sport hunting has destroyed their future .
It just hasn't happened yet.
Brotherhood amongst them has been shrinking more and more every year.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/06/20 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by TraderVic
Originally Posted by Cragar

One reason you might see older hunters/folks in a Hunter Ed class is they need the HE Certification to hunt in many or most states out west.

Got that right. Or in Canada...as well

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/07/20 02:35 AM

Thanks Marty ... That article warms my heart when I read something like that. I have worked both Federal and state wildlife departments and the biggest difference is in the court systems as this shows. The Federal Courts don't mess around with them and throw the book at them. When I was working with the Feds the average time of an investigation was 2 to 5 years. Most in the states was counted in months.

Garry-
Posted By: keystone

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/07/20 04:22 AM

I find it amazing that it’s illegal to hunt deer over bait in Indiana but every store that carries anything hunting related is loaded with every kind of bait imaginable.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/07/20 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by keystone
I find it amazing that it’s illegal to hunt deer over bait in Indiana but every store that carries anything hunting related is loaded with every kind of bait imaginable.

Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/07/20 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by keystone

The stores around here have cheeky signs above their deer corn usually something to he effect "cattle and pig feed only"
Posted By: Pike River

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/07/20 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dillrod
Sport hunting has destroyed their future .
It just hasn't happened yet.
Brotherhood amongst them has been shrinking more and more every year.

99% of hunting in the US is sport hunting. For the vast majority it is easier and cheaper (if you factor in all costs) to buy food at the store.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/07/20 09:24 AM

i will never understand antler hunting. i have tried and i just dont get it.

antler hunters will pay huge sums for antlers just to get them mounted and lie saying they killed the animal.

they will pay huge sums to kill an animal inside an enclosure that has never been wild.

It is no wonder people are "poaching". Whatever that means.

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/07/20 09:28 AM

P.S. people "poaching" big antlers are not harming or helping to control, deer populations. Car/deer accidents will continue unabated. So will large winter kill of otherwise healthy animals.

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/07/20 09:30 AM

The only reason for rules on killing big bucks is so fish and game departments can get a lot of money selling tags. The whole program is one giant con game.
Posted By: run

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/07/20 10:40 AM

I agree with Danny Clifton on this issue.

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/07/20 11:43 AM

Jealousy is why people think poachers deserve to lose several months wages firearms and pickups over crop eating fence busting road hazards called bucks.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/07/20 12:11 PM

Now Danny don't forget the bull elk need a place of honorable mention on that list also . It wasn't to many year's ago a guy was running around in the Bull Mtns shooting some big bull elk and was just cutting off the horns he used a .17 hmr they finally did catch him but I don't remember what the fine was .
Posted By: Matt28

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/07/20 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Jealousy is why people think poachers deserve to lose several months wages firearms and pickups over crop eating fence busting road hazards called bucks.

I thought I was the only one who was smart enough to see this. I dont care what someone else does none of my business. I sure don't think if someone shot a deer out of season they stole my chances at that deer. Thats just stupid to think.
Posted By: Meat Rabbit

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/07/20 06:40 PM

It may not effect your chances on that deer, but seasons and other regulations are based on carrying capacity. So if deer get killed out of season or if someone takes more than the bag limit the population could be affected.

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/07/20 07:21 PM

Not when antler hunting meat rabbit
Posted By: Matt28

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/07/20 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Meat Rabbit
It may not effect your chances on that deer, but seasons and other regulations are based on carrying capacity. So if deer get killed out of season or if someone takes more than the bag limit the population could be affected.

If every body who hunted took 2 more deer then they are allowed to take then maybe the population would be affected. I see this as like covid. Just believe what they tell you.
Posted By: btomlin

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/07/20 07:39 PM

A buddy and I were hunting this deer on public around the lake. Buddy shaved his belly the previous year at 30yrds. Ouch! Makes you sick. I'm assuming the state has not seen a dime.

Iowa Case

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/08/20 02:01 AM

Thanks btomlin for that post that was quite a deer... glad they caught the guy and he got more than a slap on the wrist ...

Garry-

Re: 12 WORST PUNISHMENTS - POACHER - 10/08/20 06:03 AM

The DNR said that a matching set of antlers from the deer had been sold by another person to a collector for $8,000.

what exactly would the buyer o f those 8000 dollar antlers do with them?

antler worship has reached an amazing level. its hard to believe.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums