Home

Flat / post set question

Posted By: greenetrapper

Flat / post set question - 10/07/20 08:52 PM

I have been trapping for about five years now. I did very well relatively speaking on the property that I trap the first 3 years. I use only dirt hole sets. I have been trying my luck was flat or post sets and have not any success. Can somebody please explain to me exactly where I put my trap and lure and how these are properly made. I have zero confidence in anything but a dirt hole set. Thank you
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Flat / post set question - 10/07/20 09:05 PM

fine a travel route an place a big flat rock on the side of it , with some kind of backing on one side , do this early before season , spray with scent , and watch for tracks , keep spraying very couple weeks , place a flat set were they put there feet , i have had some of these working for 20 years , always get coyote

Re: Flat / post set question - 10/07/20 09:12 PM

I ripped all the bushes that my dogs were peeing on out of the yard and put them out in the field where I trap . I'm going to put traps near them hoping that works
Posted By: cotton

Re: Flat / post set question - 10/07/20 10:39 PM

Read up on the basic sets page will help you a lot
Posted By: cotton

Re: Flat / post set question - 10/07/20 10:40 PM

Read up on the basic sets page will help you a lot
Posted By: Coyotero7

Re: Flat / post set question - 10/07/20 10:52 PM

I trap coyotes in the South and use approximately 80% flat sets on my line. Flat sets are basically anything without a "blowed-out" dirthole like you normally use. On all of my flat sets, with the exception of "pee-posts", I use a small punch-hole underneath with a ping-pong size of bait. Add some type of lure and sprinkle urine around. Sometimes I use a combination of 2 lures and no bait.

Some examples of flat sets are below:
- Grass clumps
- Projections into the trail
- Rocks
- Grab and Die Sticks
- Bones (covered with grass)
- Walk-thru set (grass clumps, two small logs)
- Turtle shells, etc.

Use your imagination and ALWAYS set on sign. One huge advantage of flat sets is that they are much more waterproof than your step-down dirtholes.

Re: Flat / post set question - 10/07/20 11:00 PM

Thanks to all I will try more flat sets this season
Posted By: concrete man

Re: Flat / post set question - 10/07/20 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by greenetrapper
I ripped all the bushes that my dogs were peeing on out of the yard and put them out in the field where I trap . I'm going to put traps near them hoping that works

Take you dogs with you and set your traps where they pee instead. of putting the bushes out there.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums