Home

What is a "Good Dog "

Posted By: g smith

What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 03:08 AM

Hummm .Just because he is yours and you like him ? Some say they are good because they like you ! I say BS . He is a good dog IF he does what you tell him to do (even if the water is cold or he wants to find another covey instead of retrieving a cripple in the icy cattails . Dogs are useful I love them but they should earn the title of Good Dog . We all have some GOOD PETS . Thats what they are .
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 03:29 AM

That depends on what you want in a dog. Mine looks after the place and is a good companion. When I am away at work. The missus and house is safe. When I am home he is with me 24/7 and short of dealing cards does what I tell him
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 04:24 AM

I agree with G Smith, even if its the worlds best bird dog. If it runs off after a deer and can't be called off or just decides to go its own way it ain't a good dog.
A good dog is a well trained and obedient dog, just like a good wife. grin
Posted By: Pike River

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by g smith
Hummm .Just because he is yours and you like him ? Some say they are good because they like you ! I say BS . He is a good dog IF he does what you tell him to do (even if the water is cold or he wants to find another covey instead of retrieving a cripple in the icy cattails . Dogs are useful I love them but they should earn the title of Good Dog . We all have some GOOD PETS . Thats what they are .

That's why there's hunt tests and field trials.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 11:01 AM

To me, it's all about obedience. Do what I tell you, when I tell you no matter what. It takes a lot of training and a lifetime of reinforcement to achieve that. Many people don't have a clue or aren't willing to put in the time.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 11:03 AM

simple, A good dog has more good days than bad. A friend once told me, " yesterday you wouldn't have sold that dog for 1000 dollars, today you couldn't give em away"..
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
To me, it's all about obedience. Do what I tell you, when I tell you no matter what. It takes a lot of training and a lifetime of reinforcement to achieve that. Many people don't have a clue or aren't willing to put in the time.

Spot on!
Posted By: black and tan

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 11:13 AM

Everyone's opinion of a good dog is is just that after 30+ years of coonhunting I only seen a handful of dogs worth even feeding and I put on alot of miles.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 11:15 AM

Good is only relative to ones own experience. Take cars for instance, my idea of fast is different than say a race car drivers idea of fast.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
That depends on what you want in a dog. Mine looks after the place and is a good companion. When I am away at work. The missus and house is safe. When I am home he is with me 24/7 and short of dealing cards does what I tell him

Fun post right there.
Goodin' Scuba!

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 11:21 AM

So true. My "good dog" - a Brittany named Grace - has taken 8 years so far to train me and says I'm coming along but not quite where she wants me to be quite yet..
I need a little more finishing.

grin
Posted By: Mac

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 11:42 AM

He knows what he is talking about. A dog can only be as good as its owner is willing to train it, and capable of training the dog.
Mac
Posted By: Posco

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 11:49 AM

I've always said training dogs and kids is a lot alike, you get out of them what you put into them. I've always been big on obedience from my dogs and my kids, I want the proper response the first time.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 11:56 AM

That’s a mouthful Mark ! It has taken me three years to realize my Jagd is slowly teaching me that he is NOT a hound, but a rather intense little bundle of muscle. He is the child with attention deficit syndrome, and can’t slow down . So you learn to keep him busy, he goes for a run every day with hearing aids( e collar ) and he has an indestructible ( so far) ball in his kennel . Is he a good dog ? WE are getting there !
Posted By: Prn

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 12:13 PM

"A dog is only as smart as their owner"
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 12:29 PM

Best dog I ever owned. A tank in the field, gentle and loving in the house...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 12:42 PM

My adult dog is half red healer half border collie, she is super smart and listens(especially to me) well, that being said she’s got enough healer in her she can be a bit stubborn... but 99% she’s a great dog! The new pup is an Airedale and she appears to be pretty smart she’s getting her name figured out and has almost got the sit command down.

I agree a good dog is a dog that does what it’s told to do when it’s told to do it
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 12:53 PM

You'll know a "good" dog when you see it wink
To me, any dog that show any aggressive behavior is not a good dog.
Posted By: TravC

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 06:04 PM

A gooddog does its job to the best of its ability
It knows its job does it well and is an asset
I keep working dogs if they dont make it they are gone

A god pet eats sleeps sheds and craps

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 07:08 PM

Mine is in sulk mode right now as the Missus went grocery shopping and I left him inside asI was running the bush hog and thats the only time when he cant be with me. Didn't even want the cookie I offered him as a peace offering. he will come around in an hour or so and forget all about it. And then we will go to inspect what I did out there.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 07:28 PM

Most important thing we teach is self control.
Dogs, horses, kids... ourselves.
The foundation is self control.
Posted By: fishnhunts

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 07:49 PM

I feel like I had a good lab. He's been gone for a while and while he wasn't perfect, he loved to hunt. His drive to hunt made me want to go more. He broke on the shot some when he was young and I never got him trained on hand signals, but he was determined and he was everyone's best friend. He was my pet and my hunting partner. In my eyes he was not only a good dog, but the best dog I could have ever asked for even if he had a rebellious streak in him. He would be off screwing around while setting decoys but you better believe at first light he was in the blind watching for birds. If he heard a safety click off he would immediately look at your gun barrel, see where it was pointed, and look that direction. After first light, later in the morning he would go do his own thing for a little while sometimes. I was there to have fun and he was too. He was a good dog.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Mine is in sulk mode right now as the Missus went grocery shopping and I left him inside asI was running the bush hog and thats the only time when he cant be with me. Didn't even want the cookie I offered him as a peace offering. he will come around in an hour or so and forget all about it. And then we will go to inspect what I did out there.

Scuba mine does the same thing if I take a ride on anything, tractor, truck, side by side and don’t take her she gets her feelings hurt! Not often I don’t take her but there are times

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 08:26 PM

The only time I do not take him with me is when I go to work away in SC and when I run the brush hog. He is even with me felling trees and I make him wait to the side a bit when it gets close to dropping one.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 08:37 PM

Most all dogs are good except for the bad ones.
Posted By: old243

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/09/20 09:14 PM

Scuba take him when you are doing tractor work. After they get used to the machines. They will keep back a bit. Even my cat knows enough to keep away from the lawn mower.. . N ever had a farm dog , that didn't follow the tractor old243
Posted By: Scout1

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/10/20 12:54 AM

A good dog is only as good as its master. A dog needs a master, not a human!
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/10/20 01:19 AM

What Dirty D said
Posted By: walleye101

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/10/20 01:22 AM

Never brag about a dog unless they are dead or 1000 miles away.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/10/20 02:04 AM

I think a "good" dog is one that's good at what he's supposed to be. Working dogs have a job they're supposed to do, which is where their quality is measured. Pet dogs are expected to be well-behaved around people. Nowadays most people want want their working dogs to be good pets as well, but that wasn't always the case. It wasn't so long ago that many hunting and livestock dogs were kept away from people to prevent them becoming "pets." It didn't matter if they were good with people as long as they were good at their job. Today there's much more demand for "all-around" dogs.

I'm happy with my dog because he's good where it matters to me.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/10/20 02:35 AM

A good dog is one you can sit and watch the sunrise with and discuss all the worlds problems and listen to his solutions.

A good dog is one that you wouldn’t sell for any amount of money after Saturday’s hunt, and swear you’d give him to the first Asian person you saw after Sunday’s hunt.

A good dog is one that will protect what’s yours when you aren’t there.

A good dog is one that gets his own place in the house after retirement. One you even install new door knobs for so he can let himself in and out.

I’ve had one truly good dog in my lifetime and I don’t think I’ll ever have another. He was my “once in a lifetime” and I was dang honored to be his master. My vet even cried when we had to put him down.
Posted By: g smith

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/10/20 03:20 AM

I would brag on a very few of mine. Two of the very best were free.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/10/20 03:32 AM

A Good dog is one that has passed "The Red Herring Test "
sure glad that only to apply to one breed.

Took my brother 8 years for his Brittany to train his master...seems my brother could not hear a tinkle of a bell when the dog was on point...then the flush....and they always land in a tree...and the dog barks....saying get the you know what over here.....and he would call the dog over and leave the grouse. For 9 years I got a hundred grouse a year over that dog.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: What is a "Good Dog " - 10/10/20 12:56 PM

[Linked Image]

She's a pup...so some day she's good grin
© 2024 Trapperman Forums