Home

Diesel fuel cheaper than gas?

Posted By: run

Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/09/20 05:15 PM

$2.19 for diesel.$ 2.25 for regular unleaded. Elkton,VA. Anyone else see fuel prices like this? Last night's prices.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/09/20 06:04 PM

It was that way for YEARS. Gas only became cheaper than diesel in the 2000's. Used be cheaper or the same all the time.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/09/20 06:09 PM

Yep, when I pumped gas in the 70's, diesel was cheaper than gas.

I went past a gas station the other day and its cheaper than gas here again also.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/09/20 06:16 PM

I bought a bunch of #2 off-road last week and it was 1.49

I will have to go check the station now , maybe it went down I could use another 50-60 gallons to fill the tank.

diesel used to be always less than gas

gas was 1.99 yesterday
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/09/20 06:32 PM

Going to have to look now.
Need some for fuel tank
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/09/20 06:42 PM

Even steven here with both at 2.18

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/09/20 07:23 PM

I fill my house with the #2 off-road cleaner than #2 heating oil with less wax solids to clog the filter furnace burns it well.
less money than the #2 home heating oil and it is an off road use
Posted By: Huntall76

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/09/20 08:07 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't diesel fuel cheaper to make than regular gas? If so I could never understand why it started being higher priced than gas unless it's because more personal vehicles use diesel now.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/09/20 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Huntall76
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't diesel fuel cheaper to make than regular gas? If so I could never understand why it started being higher priced than gas unless it's because more personal vehicles use diesel now.

Check yr states fuel tax!

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/09/20 08:57 PM

I think diesel just doesn't have to be refined as much as gas and has more oil left in it.

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/09/20 09:03 PM

Nebraska is 33.2 cents per gallon for all motor vehicle tax.
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/09/20 09:10 PM

Diesel prices start rising when the Dodge cummins started to become popular .
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/09/20 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by logger coffey
Diesel prices start rising when the Dodge cummins started to become popular .

Well that hasn't happened yet. Now if you were talking about the Powerstroke, that might make some sense.

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/09/20 10:01 PM

Dodge has Cummins.
Ford has Powerstroke.
I'd rather be Cummin than Strokin'. Cummins has got it goin'.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/09/20 10:46 PM

Both regular diesel and regular gas $1.79.9 here. Non ethanol gas is $2.09

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/10/20 12:14 AM

2.12 for diesel and 1.99 for gas at 5pm here

the off road was 1.59 I suppose it went up a dime because harvest is in full swing
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/10/20 01:00 AM

Diesel hasnt come down since Katrina
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/10/20 02:33 AM

I think diesel is more expensive because most of to is burned in vehicles that people make a living with (big rigs, buses, trucks for towing, ect) and as such when the price goes high diesel still gets sold. Gasoline on the other hand sees demand go down significantly when prices get too high. People plan trips better or car pool more.

BTW Cummins is where its at. Only reason to own a powerstroke is if you have a unhealthy obsession with your mechanic.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/10/20 02:55 AM

Simple "diesel" is much cheaper to make than gasoline. Oil companies at remote sites used to make their own on site because all you have to do is heat up crude oil and diesel comes off the top. However, it also has a lot of things the EPA doesn't like. It burns thick and dirty. The EPA began mandating cleaner and cleaner fuel (low sulphur and now Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel or ULSD), so now it's more expensive and we have to add additives back in (if you're smart) to replace the lubrication that used to be in the fuel. Legal diesel is now more expensive than gasoline because of the EPA.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/10/20 05:45 AM

Right now around us gas is $1.88 and diesel is about 5 cents lower to the same price. Gas ranges from $1.88 to $2.19 in the 200 miles I drove today.

Bryce
Posted By: run

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/10/20 09:38 AM

Thanks for your contributions, everyone.
Posted By: trapper red 315

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/10/20 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I fill my house with the #2 off-road cleaner than #2 heating oil with less wax solids to clog the filter furnace burns it well.
less money than the #2 home heating oil and it is an off road use

and it all comes out of the same storage tanks filled by the same pipeline / tanker car....................
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Diesel fuel cheaper than gas? - 10/10/20 12:41 PM

I bought it for my tractor and didn't look.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums