Home

synthetic oil ?

Posted By: scrapper

synthetic oil ? - 10/09/20 11:52 PM

The wife's Subaru crosstrek is due for it's first oil change. I have never used synthetic oil before. Is any one brand of synthetic oil better than the other for small 4 cylinders? What about the oil filter for this oil? Thanks.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/09/20 11:57 PM

Mobil 1 is pretty good so is pennzoil ultra platinum. I run the napa platinum filters after the factory warranty runs out.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 12:00 AM

I'm a firm believer in synthetic oil. I mowed the whole yard with a mower that had no oil in it after I drained the synthetic out of it and forgot about it.
NAPA synthetic has worked well for me for 25 yrs. No need to waste money on the expensive stuff.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 12:05 AM

I use Mobil 1 on all my stuff. Worst case scenario, you can just change your filter and top off the oil, but wouldn't do that very often.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 12:10 AM

They're all good. Project Farm on YouTube has a video that he tests a bunch. Watch it. Good stuff.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 12:11 AM

If it’s under warranty use what Subaru recommends. That will likely be a OEM filter they might have their own branded oil.
Posted By: akntrpr

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 12:12 AM

Synthetic is good stuff! I bought a new corvette in 01' and if you put regular oil in it it would void the warranty! It came with a video showing the differences and it made a lot of sense. It recommended mobil 1 I put it in everything I own including my small engines and my inboard jet boat with never an issue. I highly recommend it!
Posted By: LDW

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 01:02 AM

I'm a firm believer in synthetic oil. Run it in everything from my 3 pickups to mower, weed eater, buggy. Anything with an internal combustion engine.
Posted By: midlander

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 01:16 AM

Bob is the oil guy website has everything youll ever want to know about oil....and probably more. Good info from guys that do a lot of research on oil and apparently dont have enough fun hobbies ...
Posted By: run

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 01:39 AM

Mobil 1 should be fine.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by LDW
I'm a firm believer in synthetic oil. Run it in everything from my 3 pickups to mower, weed eater, buggy. Anything with an internal combustion engine.

#metoo

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 01:50 AM

Can't go wrong with Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol. As long as it has this cert on it.

Attached picture 20201009_214553.jpg
Posted By: Dawnvilledawg

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 01:55 AM

I had a friend, helicoter mechanic that was also in charge of the company vehicles as well. You are required to have oil in helicopters analyzed, so on companies dime, he used different motor oils in trucks and had oils analyzed too. Mobil 1 had best ratings.
Posted By: danvee

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 02:50 AM

Any problems using it on older vehicles with original seals?? How about 4 stroke boat engines??
Posted By: charles

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 03:08 AM

Make sure to use the correct viscosity. Probably shown on the oil fill cap.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 03:10 AM

I use Mobil 1 in our 4 vehicles . I pick it up at Wal-Mart. It is cheap anymore. Extends your oil change interval too. Honda Odyssey van bought new in 11. 345K, change oil and filter every 10K, no oil use.
Posted By: Starcraft_Dart

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 03:15 AM

Walmart Supertech synthetic is as good as any expensive name brand oil along with their oil filters.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 04:31 AM

I know that synthetic stuff is really good. I use it in my Tundra and my Sienna. I do have to wonder how much more life I could get from my Tacoma engine with it. I have been using conventional 10-30 ever since I got it back in 2004 when it had 100,000 miles on it. It now has 683,000+ on it, and the only things that has been done to the engine is valve cover gasket replacement and a rear main seal. The bugger does use a quart every 2,000 miles now, but I don't think that's terrible. Again, how much more life would I expect from this engine with synthetic oil?
Posted By: Bob

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 06:35 AM

My dad has been a mechanic for 40 years, all he will use is mobile1 synthetic

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 09:56 AM

Thanks everyone.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 10:46 AM

Use whatever subaru recommends. Each manufacturer had their own spec, not just for viscosity but also for various additives. Mobil 1 is probably fine, just call and ask he dealer, they'll be happy to tell you. And don't be afraid of store brand stuff (walmart, o'reilly's, etc):it's made by the name brands and just put in a different bottle and sold for a lower price. I'd recommend using a factory filter, just for piece of mind.

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 11:20 AM

Used to buy filters that I got the best deal on but after having one collapse and block up and cost me an engine I tend to buy good ones. That gets a little pricey!!! Lots of filter test demos on u tube. I use Subaru filters. Can usually get a 6pk online a lot cheaper than at the dealer. Also get Mobil 1 at Walmart for about $23/ 5qt.
On the drain plug of my '18 Forester is a crush ring that they recommend changing each time (they came with my filters).

Attached picture 20201010_072322.jpg
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT
Used to buy filters that I got the best deal on but after having one collapse and block up and cost me an engine I tend to buy good ones. That gets a little pricey!!! Lots of filter test demos on u tube.

I've heard of this happening a time or two. A good reminder that some things should not be skimped on!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT
Used to buy filters that I got the best deal on but after having one collapse and block up and cost me an engine I tend to buy good ones. That gets a little pricey!!! Lots of filter test demos on u tube.

I've heard of this happening a time or two. A good reminder that some things should not be skimped on!

blush
Posted By: DisplayName

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 01:00 PM

Mobil 1. I worked in a tire and lube shop right out of high school. I could tell if they had synthetic just by the feelof the used oil. It was just as slick when i took it out as when i put it in. Conventional oil would start to feel watery and gritty.

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 01:41 PM

Used to b able to get $10-12 off a jug(4/household) from Walmart but both mobil an pennzoil removed walmart as a participating vendor. Anybody know why??
Posted By: 3togo

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 04:45 PM

If you want to save yourself some headache, purchase a Fumoto valve for your Subaru before changing the oil. Subaru drain plugs are sometimes difficult to remove the first time, and they are 19mm, big hole, oil comes out fast. Install the Fumoto valve and your will never need to remove it. They are machined from brass and stainless with a lever/spring arrangement. Simply remove the lock clip, flip the lever to the open position and watch the oil drain at a reasonable speed. When done, flip the lever back to closed and re-install the lock clip. I also bought the rubber/plastic slide on cover for the drain tube. Keeps it clean.
I am using NAPA Gold filters. You can catch them on sale sometimes for half price. As most have commented, any name brand that meets spec will work. I have been using Quaker State full synthetic.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/10/20 04:55 PM

Here's another independent oil thread if you have the time to read.
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/11/20 12:04 PM

Must be your area. I got a 12 quart box yesterday for $50 at our Walmart.

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/11/20 12:06 PM

Well, I went with Mobile 1 and a Mobile one filter. I will get Subaru filters for the next time.

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/11/20 12:07 PM

That sounds interesting. Thanks, I'll look into it.

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/12/20 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by scrapper
Must be your area. I got a 12 quart box yesterday for $50 at our Walmart.

Scrapper-Never to old to learn!! Thank u. Newer tk takes 8qt and old tk and car took 5qt so always got the jugs when special was on with Mobil or Pennzoil. Took it down to 2.50/qt. But that box is the best option now.(4.17). Got one this morning. Thanks again.

Attached picture 20201012_092023.jpg
Attached picture 20201012_091703.jpg
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/12/20 06:37 PM

I've been using Amsoil, but recently switched to Valvoline full synthetic. I was using Wix filters.

How often do you guys change oil? I was changing filters every 10,000 miles and doing a full oil change every 20,000 miles.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/12/20 07:44 PM

Living in a cold climate plugging in every night with Synthetic oil you get instant oil pressure. I prefer Mobile 1 and have used it for years. I also have a temperature setting Command start for the line and again Mobile 1 keeps the oil pressure right on. It gives peace of mind all winter.
Posted By: Bob

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/12/20 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
I've been using Amsoil, but recently switched to Valvoline full synthetic. I was using Wix filters.

How often do you guys change oil? I was changing filters every 10,000 miles and doing a full oil change every 20,000 miles.

Holy cow, your engine isn’t toast? Every mechanic I’ve ever known does a full oil and filter change every 5,000-7,000 miles. I’ve had my butt chewed up one side and down the other at work for letting my work truck go past 9,000 when we were busy

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/12/20 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7

On 18 Forester I change filters every 5000 and oil every 10,000.

Wix and Mobil1 r both good filters.

3 togo-had put a futomo on wife's corolla couple yrs back and put one on Forester 1st oil change when I saw that it took 0W20 too. Stuff splashes all over like water!!!! Checked on one for F150 but I think it will b a liability where that truck goes!!!
Posted By: EdP

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/12/20 09:04 PM

In Feb the wife got a new Mazda (2019) and I upgraded my 2 door Wrangler to a 2017. Synthetic was recommended for both and that's what I have been using. In my 2007 Ram w/5.9 Cummins I still use non-synthetic because I have never seen synthetic oil for diesels. Anybody know why?
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/12/20 09:08 PM

Costco Kirkland brand has great reviews.
Posted By: btomlin

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/12/20 09:08 PM

I run FS oil in everything I own. I'm not overly brand loyal as my oil/filter change intervals in '18 Jeep GC and '16 Ford 3.5eco are 5,000 miles. Typically Napa/Wix filters and Mobil 1, but I also buy the Kirkland Brand FS from Costco($24.99/10qt) when the mobil 1 isn't on sale.. I can't remember the company that bottles it for costco, but read, at the time, they make a good oil. I do them myself so it is too cheap not to change that often. I also figure oil is cheaper than a turbo/engine issue because of an extended interval.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/12/20 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
In Feb the wife got a new Mazda (2019) and I upgraded my 2 door Wrangler to a 2017. Synthetic was recommended for both and that's what I have been using. In my 2007 Ram w/5.9 Cummins I still use non-synthetic because I have never seen synthetic oil for diesels. Anybody know why?

I use the T6 Rotella 5w-40 full synthetic in my 2017 Duramax and my tractor.
Posted By: Kermit

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/12/20 11:21 PM

Rotella t6 is diesel synthetic. 5 w40 or 0 w 40
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: synthetic oil ? - 10/12/20 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by danvee
Any problems using it on older vehicles with original seals?? How about 4 stroke boat engines??

mobile one has high milage oils that is supposed to revitalize seals
© 2024 Trapperman Forums