Home

Eating less meat

Posted By: Catpincher

Eating less meat - 10/10/20 04:57 PM

Well I guess we know why the leftists want to take our guns. Kamila said the government should force Americans to eat other diets besides meat to help save the planet from man made climate change.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 05:31 PM

People on low meat diets have much lower intelligence quotients, except in a few cases where their diets are heavily supplemented. Low IQ people are easy to control.

Keith
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 05:38 PM

Do you have a source for this? The only thing I could find was from 2019, and she just said Ishe wants to change dietary guidelines, nothing about forcing anyone to eat less meat.

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 05:46 PM

Is this what you're referring to? She never says she wants to force anyone to eat less meat,just that the government needs to educate and creat incentives for people to eat less meat. To be clear, that doesn't mean I feel any better about her. She's a goon. The government has no way in what anyone eats, and anyone with an ounce of dietary knowledge wouldn't follow the food pyramid anyways.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 05:49 PM

Egh.... It's good to have variety. There's sometimes of the year I eat lots of meat and others that I'm nearly vegan.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Egh.... It's good to have variety. There's sometimes of the year I eat lots of meat and others that I'm nearly vegan.

Fence rider ?
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 06:20 PM

I eat a lot of what I can raise and meat is a part of that along with veggies and fruits.

Bryce
Posted By: warrior

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 06:22 PM

Educate and incentivize by government fiat is force by any definition.
Posted By: Clark

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
People on low meat diets have much lower intelligence quotients, except in a few cases where their diets are heavily supplemented. Low IQ people are easy to control.

Keith

Next I imagine you’ll tout the benefits of phrenology. Anything less wouldn’t make sense.

Clark

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
Originally Posted by Pike River

Fence rider ?

Got a problem with my diet? Weird......
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 06:38 PM

Posted By: Cragar

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 06:41 PM

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by warrior

How on earth would education and incentives would that force you to eat less meat?

"Eating more fruits and veggies is healthy". "We're going to incentivize eating less meat by creating subsidies for fruits and veggies". How would either of those things force you to eat less meat? They may be stupid and misguided, but they're not forcing you to do anything.

(Just to be clear, I don't support these things at all).
Posted By: charles

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 07:36 PM

I have kidney disease and only one kidney. Been told to eat less meat as well.
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 07:46 PM

I raise beef for a living, you will never stop me from eating it either. But I also eat a lot of fish and seafood, tons of veggies and some fruits if there in season. Not a huge chicken fan but will basically eat everything including a salad but I will be hungry in a hour without some meat in it.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 07:47 PM

How much longer will I live if I eat less red meat? Days, years, decades? I'll never find out. To me it's like telling George Burns he'd have lived longer if he didn't smoke so many cigars.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 08:06 PM

It's not the meat. That's a myth. It's all the other garbage we eat and drink. Soda, too many sugar foods, and not enough exercise.

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by PAskinner
It's not the meat. That's a myth. It's all the other garbage we eat and drink. Soda, too many sugar foods, and not enough exercise.

Exactly

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by PAskinner

Yes!!!!! Soda is just fizzy sugar water,and your body reacts to diet soda pretty much the same way as it does to regular soda. The food pyramid has waaaaaay too much grains in it,which for most people pretty much means white flour, which might as well be sugar. A proper food pyramid would have fruits and veggies as the highest amount, followed closely by meats and fats, followed by grains and sugar.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 08:28 PM

there is a growing movment among some nutritionist ,cardiologists and endocrinologist that we need saturated fat from ruminants to safeguard against diabetes . They say that LDL cholesterol helps prevent insulin resistance .
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 08:30 PM

Known and proven fact: Vegetarians FART more than meat eaters. The methane is detrimental to the ozone according to the 'global warmers'.

Ya can't have it both ways.

PS. I just bought three huge Boston Butts for $ .99 a pound. grin

Charlie

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
there is a growing movment among some nutritionist ,cardiologists and endocrinologist that we need saturated fat from ruminants to safeguard against diabetes . They say that LDL cholesterol helps prevent insulin resistance .

There's absolutely nothing wrong with fat, including saturated fats. The only nasty fats are the hydrogenated fats...those are fake foods like margarine and crisco. Real fats are healthy and full of energy (9 calories per gram for fats compared to 4 calories per gram for carbs and protein). And they taste good too grin

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose

How on earth would education and incentives would that force you to eat less meat?

"Eating more fruits and veggies is healthy". "We're going to incentivize eating less meat by creating subsidies for fruits and veggies". How would either of those things force you to eat less meat? They may be stupid and misguided, but they're not forcing you to do anything.

If kids don't go to school (education) who goes to jail?
If steak doubles (taxes/regulation) in price and rice becomes free (subsidies) how is that not force in use?
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 10:13 PM

The Government needs to stay out of many things, what we eat being one.
Posted By: Co�s

Re: Eating less meat - 10/10/20 10:43 PM

Sounds great, more meat for me.
Posted By: mask bandit

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 12:06 AM

They want you to eat lab grown meat. Go watch Ice Age Farmer.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 12:16 AM

If those grass eating cows are causing global warming, we need to eat more beef and eat our way out of the problem.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
If those grass eating cows are causing global warming, we need to eat more beef and eat our way out of the problem.

Well there's some logical thinking! laugh
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 02:24 AM

I havnt figured out the difference between a cow fart and a buffalo fart .
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Originally Posted by Foxpaw

Well there's some logical thinking! laugh

yum yum...eat up!

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 02:46 AM

I'm with you pike there are days usually in garden season when it is smoken hot out side I will go days only eating veggies. The rest of the year I probably consume 1 steer, half a hog, 1 deer, 1 chicken, half a lamb, 1/4 a turkey, 10 lbs of fish and 1 elk quarter.

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 02:56 AM

I apologize I don't know how to post an article I still use a flip phone. Go to Town hall sept 5, 2019 gives you an idea of Harris's view on diet before she decided to concour the most powerful job in the free world.

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 03:00 AM

Even cows aren't vegans. Part of their digestive process includes the consumption of some of the symbiotic bacteria that lives in their rumen to break down cellulose.
Posted By: AZ2020

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 03:05 AM

I have a little identity confusion going on as I went plant/ vegetarian biased 2 years (loosely as still smoke and grill Holliday’s and Bdays). Given this I have found thee main things.

- lost 20 lbs without doing anything.
- developed a better pallet and cooking methods
- majorly dropped cholesterol levels and feel full on normal portions.

As many have already led to, eating out mostly is eating/ drinking large amounts of fats and sugars to make the taste to sell. It’s all about the cheap sale for the chains. I Know now mom brought us kids up right as we all know how to cook.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 06:23 AM

Breaking news: people who dont drink, smoke, and eat less meat are going to die too. grin
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by bblwi
I eat a lot of what I can raise and meat is a part of that along with veggies and fruits.

Bryce

Hold out as long as you can Bryce. Not many of our kind left.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 11:29 AM

I had all my kids, and a lot of my grandkids, and a couple of neighbor's and their kids over yesterday .

I got up at 3am to build a fire in the smoker. Friday night I had put a spice rub on a pork shoulder and two slabs of ribs. I put the shoulder in about 4. Temp about 400. I let it cool down to 200 and added more wood. Brought it back up to 400 again. When it cooled to 200 again I kept it there. About 1130 I put the ribs in. Kept the temp about 200 till about 530. opened up a couple jars of home made dippin sauce

Used mulberry wood. I wrap everything in heavy tinfoil. Gets plenty of that smoke goodness without getting overpowered. I do the same thing with brisket.

It all got ate I don't think Kamalcoe is too popular around here.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 11:42 AM

Gubmint is now more involved than ever with people's diets and people have never been more overweight and unhealthy. I find that eateries serve way too big of portions so they can charge more per serving.
Take care of yourself and live longer. You will be rewarded with a few extra years in the nursing home! My Dad lived to be 92. After watching his last few years, ain't no way I want to live that long!

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 11:44 AM

Have you noticed that the chips and snacks portion of the grocery store is way bigger than the meat department?

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Gubmint is now more involved than ever with people's diets and people have never been more overweight and unhealthy. I find that eateries serve way too big of portions so they can charge more per serving.
Take care of yourself and live longer. You will be rewarded with a few extra years in the nursing home! My Dad lived to be 92. After watching his last few years, ain't no way I want to live that long!

This isn't a mark against farmers but part of the reason is because the gubmint is subsidizing corn and soy so hra ILY. The way they break these crops down is amazing but much of it ends up in our food.

Try going a week without eating food that contains corn (except for whiskey of course)

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 12:29 PM

Corn and soybeans are instrumental in growing good meat. Beef ain't beef if it ain't fattened up on corn.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 12:29 PM

Fish and poultry guy here, no servings larger than a deck of cards. I eat a ton of veggies and fruit,, whole grains.. Battling high cholesterol and borderline high blood sugar levels most of my adult life. But my numbers today are way more in line than they were before I started running and eating like this...and that was 10 years ago.
Running 3 marathons a year in my mid-50s now and watching what I eat and by doing that I don't have to take meds to manage my numbers. Still wearing same 32" waist size pants that I did in high school which was back in 1980s, and much better shape today than i was back then too.
Sure I'd love a burger or steak more often than the little bit I have these days on occasion. But this is what I have to do to be me and I'm OK with it.
Jim

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 12:38 PM

Yup Jim, we all have our reasons.
A note about grain subsidies...after harvest, the Gubmint takes control of American grown grain being sold overseas. If they're going to do that and use grain as a political weapon, they can darn sure subsidize American farmers along with pandering to illegals and deadbeat citizens. There are people starving to death around the world yet grain prices are low and grain spoils on the ground every year. You would think the UN would be buying grain to feed the starving people. After all, the UN is concerned about all the people of the world, right?

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 12:40 PM

We're getting a cow butchered next month. I would much rather fall over dead with a heart attack then spend ten years in a nursing home waiting to die.
What is the point of being alive if your not living?????????????

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 12:41 PM

Ten-four on that Danny.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 12:50 PM

I don't eat it if the color is green.

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 12:53 PM

When the u.n. does try food relief it gets stolen and sold in those countries where its common for people to die of starvation. its a shame but still a fact. i dont think we need to commit our young men to any more wars where U.S. sovereignty is not threatened.

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 12:53 PM

Green meat is not a good thing. laugh
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose

That's how it starts by laying the ground work to brain wash and distort public perception. Then added taxes and and regulations levied on meat to raise prices and things harder on producer's.

As already stated there used to be more buffalo than we have cows now.
But I must concede a few points. The buffalo didnt eat corn. Corn and grains make cows fat but fart more.
But fart and uses a lot of agriculture land that the production gets feed to cows. Feed lots aren't a sustainable model. It has to much transportation and the largest concentration of animals is a stinking mess.

Grass feed is sustainable and can be kept local. Imagine eating a steak that was raised less than 50 miles away and not trucked 1000 miles around the country for finishing and processing.

But but grassfeed is tough!!! Once again government getting in the way again. Fed inspectors must be sure cows are cooled down to temp x within x amount of time. They use the fattest grain feed cow to test the system to be sure it meets requirements. Grass feed dosen't have the fat and is cooled so fast it will make the meat tough and need cooled slowly. But the government gets in the way.

It similar to why I leave chickens in ice water for no less than 24 hrs before packing and freezing.

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 01:19 PM

The fat tastes good. I like grain fed beef. When I am in the mood for lean meat I eat venison or squirrel or rabbit or catfish. Same with a hog. I prefer to eat the older breeds developed before breeding for lean pork got so popular.

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 01:24 PM

Bigfoot

Reread Marks post. It says a lot. Remember when salt was good for you and eggs were bad? Your tastes are far more than a personal preference. Your body is signaling you as to what it wants. Those nutritionists have entered a new science. How old is it? 100 years maybe? Like psychobabling, its too new not to take everything they say with a grain of salt. (pun intended)

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
The fat tastes good. I like grain fed beef. When I am in the mood for lean meat I eat venison or squirrel or rabbit or catfish. Same with a hog. I prefer to eat the older breeds developed before breeding for lean pork got so popular.

What are some of the older breeds you like and how can the average consumer find them?

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 02:04 PM

Try kids raising 4h pigs. Look for a breed called Hereford Pig

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 02:10 PM

Get you a refrigerator just for making ham and bacon and you wont need to depend o n weather. Take out the metal grates and replace with home made wood slats if you want to dry cure. put a plastic tote in bottom to catch the liquid that drips off so it cleans up easy.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 02:31 PM

When the u.n. does try food relief it gets stolen and sold in those countries where its common for people to die of starvation. its a shame but still a fact. i dont think we need to commit our young men to any more wars where U.S. sovereignty is not threatened.

That's a fact. Mass starvation is caused by politics and conflict.

Duroc is another good heirloom pig.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 02:32 PM

Danny,m have you done a country ham in a fridge? I'd like to try to do one,

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 02:43 PM

Get you a refrigerator just for making ham and bacon and you wont need to depend o n weather. Take out the metal grates and replace with home made wood slats if you want to dry cure. put a plastic tote in bottom to catch the liquid that drips off so it cleans up easy.

When you get a chance share some pics or start a dedicated thread.

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 04:53 PM

Last couple hogs we did it was cool enough didnt need a fridge and made brine. Last ham i did in a fridge I put it in and went to Wy trapping. Wife turned it over once. got home 3 weeks later and smoked it. Came out great. Guy I went with raised the hog. We cut most of it up fresh. Made a bunch of sausage. Steaked out one ham fresh. Kept some fresh side instead of cured bacon. Cut the chops. Took the chops side meat a bunch of sausage and the fresh ham steaks with us. Any way the ham i cured and smoked came out great. its not hard to do. Main thing is get it rinsed real good before you smoke it.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 04:58 PM

I eat meat 3 times a day. 7 days a week. 80% of it is beef. Make my living from it and these people scare the heck out of me.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Eating less meat - 10/11/20 09:09 PM

If we would eat the recommended calorie amounts for our age and activity we would not have to change the type of food we eat very much. Over time our diets will change but we have a huge infrastructure investment that will resist commodity production system changes with a lot of effort and money. It is easier and less costly to eat less then to change quite considerably what we eat. With the rural population shrinking every year there will be even less food grown by the consumers that raise food. About the only way we will see any major change in dietary types and amounts is when it hits individuals directly or groups of consumers cooperatively work together and form food coops and eat what they raise. By putting an investment into the food production and processing there is more likely to be changes. Small scale food production creates a need for labor and skill sets. There needs to be a revenues to pay for those skills, labor and investment. The younger generation seems to be far more open to investing in their food supply then our older generations.

Bryce
© 2024 Trapperman Forums