Home

Bob Marshall Wilderness

Posted By: JoMiBru

Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/11/20 01:39 AM

Anyone spend much time on the Bob? Interested in the possibility of a DIY archery elk hunt in the area. Any info is appreciated!

Thanks

John
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/11/20 02:05 AM

Rent horses! If you don’t have any, it’s a big place. Clean camp and bear pole. Bear deterrent also get in the best shape of your life and have fun and be careful large wilderness areas are not very forgiving of stupidity. NOT saying you are! But a lot of people think they know what they really don’t. If you could or have done a pack trip with an outfitter it would shorten the learning curve a huge amount. I worked as a guide/horse & mule wrangler as a young man out of Gardner Mt. Absorca Beartooth wilderness . We packed from the trail head in 21 miles to base camp then about three miles more to spike camps spread to the points of the compass. Early rifle elk and deer. If the mountains don’t kill ya and the bears leave ya alone and the stock don’t bust ya up ya could have the time of your life and make memories you will never forget. Truly wild country will humble a person.

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/11/20 02:12 AM

If you’re planning on walking in just know you’re not going to get away from the locals and day trippers and the fringes get hunted pretty hard. And they know the country better than anybody that doesn’t live there.

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/11/20 02:41 AM

Just a random thought. Grab a copy of Bugle and check with the outfitters that work the Bob maybe a drop camp would best suit your needs.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/11/20 02:50 AM

Have hunted it several times with Cheff Ranch mostly with Matt Cheff now. We riad horse in to camp 10 hours. Ouch! We saw no one else. Lots of people a short way in though. Lot so Griz and Wolves, not a ton of elk anymore, but they are there. Buy a wolf tag. Some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. My first morning out I understood "oh purple mountains majesty". It is considered one of the most rugged elk hunts out there, for reference.
Posted By: bbasher

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/11/20 02:52 AM

I spend a lot of time back there. I kill elk every year in Montana but it's not in the Bob. Grizzly bears aren't that common back there either. On the other hand you'd be more likely to see a bear than an elk there.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/11/20 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by cmcf
Just a random thought. Grab a copy of Bugle and check with the outfitters that work the Bob maybe a drop camp would best suit your needs.

My thoughts exactly.
I guided in Idaho and it’s wise and money well spent to let someone else provide camp. And they’ll pack out your game.
Join the Eastman’s site for drop camp guide suggestions.
Posted By: Gene Dziza

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/11/20 03:46 AM

I've killed a couple of nice bulls in the Bob but there's way easier places to hunt, with a lot more elk. The only advantage in the Bob is the early rifle season. Backpacking my way out of the Bob, sometimes puking from exhaustion, and hearing more bulls bugling outside the wilderness boundary than within, and a heck of a lot closer to my truck, got me started bowhunting.
Posted By: merganser

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/11/20 01:25 PM

Gene x2. Have hunted the early rifle season in the wilderness. After hiking 20 miles round trip, the only elk we saw was outside the wilderness on the drive in. Take bear spray. Get off the main trails in since they are people highways.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/11/20 04:43 PM

Good advice aforementioned.

I have enjoyed that country from Glacier Park boundaries, down to the Scapegoat Wilderness southern end. Numerous trips from a week to two weeks duration.

One of the most cherished memories for me was deep in the interior, set up a base camp along the White River, that follows the Divide and the Wall. I would climb the western front of the Wall and hike along its ridge top for miles. The tall stands of Mtn. Hemlock are astounding ....the granite worn trials smooth as can be along that ridge by years of goats and sheep traveling it as their hi way.

Last I knew there were two airstrips in different parts of the area that are used by outfitters. A good way to get in and traveling faster than walking in from a portage point. The Spotted Bear portage , in the northern quadrant is a good place to go, rather than some others that are used more often. I have never been on the east side of the Divide in those three connected wilderness areas, only along the western side.

Arm up well and take your camera. A good trip to enjoy . Not up on the elk status in the area , but as others have mentioned, you will likely see bear.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/11/20 06:24 PM

Hunted that area and took my 1st mulie in Scapegoat area. You will need horses/mules. I hunted w/Mills.
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/11/20 06:50 PM

If you don't use pack animals any elk you kill will rot before you get it out on your back. If your bowhunting don't go to a wilderness area. The bob isn't known for its elk herds. I've been in there a bunch. I kill elk every year and it's not in the wilderness. It can be done but I wouldn't recommend it
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/11/20 09:20 PM

A retired tech instructor friend I know made 6 trips to the BM wilderness in the late 90s and early 2000's. He took 3-4 smaller elk and did wind up with a real nice 6 by 6 the 2nd to the last year he went. He was a guard for UW River Falls and stayed in great shape and he said it was all he could do to hike and pack out their elk. He used an outfitter and horse teams every year. The big elk was shot near dusk and the outfitter was anxious to hurry as the bears were geared in to hearing shots and would come to the area. They had about a mile to go to get to the horses and they made it. A bear was on the remains as they were descending on the trail. My friend said he pooped out with his portion about half way down. The guide picked up is portion and carried both down! He stated that guy was not a big man at all but one you would want on your side when things got sticky.

It sounds as if the elk population has been dwindling . Dick never stated they saw lots and lots of elk but he saw plenty during those six years. I believe he chose that area due to the fact that it would be a challenge and it was.

Bryce

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/11/20 09:51 PM

We have cut grizz tracks on every hunt. Seen one on every hunt. Nephew shot a 150 whitetail. Dressed it and kept hunting. Came back and sow grizz with cubs stole and charged them. Guide told him to shoot at 50 feet, it turned off as he was pulling the trigger.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/11/20 10:32 PM

Why you are considering this hunt? Do you have a partner?How much time will you have to spend hunting?Have you ever hunted archery elk before in the west and if so how much and where ?
Posted By: jarentz

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/11/20 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by cmcf

Good advice
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/12/20 12:43 AM

Why you are considering this hunt? Do you have a partner?How much time will you have to spend hunting?Have you ever hunted archery elk before in the west and if so how much and where ?

Seems as though you have wrote him as incapable. I doubt that is the case,...he is ;looking for info,...probably to ascertain a condition he can relate to....or at least question!
Posted By: 160user

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/12/20 12:48 AM

Sharron, I flew a Farmall Cub tractor out of the Bob in about 1992.

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/12/20 01:28 AM

Thanks for the information, I’m taking notes and suggestions from each reply. Looking for a challenge, a great wilderness experience. Not looking for an easy, fully guided, 400” bull. Always satisfied to be humbled by Mother Nature.

Thanks again,
John

Slick Pan: I am looking for information. If you do not want to provide information, and want to reply with discouraging remarks/questions , please do not reply at all. Simple.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/12/20 01:35 AM

Jo that attitude is going to get youself in trouble
flat landers don't have the legs
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/12/20 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
Sharron, I flew a Farmall Cub tractor out of the Bob in about 1992.

Well how bout them apples....I had among my most enjoyable trips in those years. The only things I ever heard were the occasional plane going into those strips as I sat on ridge tops enjoying the vast U shaped valleys , seeing my tent as a tiny dot in green meadows by the glacier blue White river several thousand feet below ...some of the most beautiful, peaceful country on earth.

Growing up with planes and flying them with my father, I always loved seeing the pilots flying in such breathtaking country. They are salvation in times of need, as every chopper .

You must know the fun of passing low over the strips several times to scatter the mules and horses off the grass and to the side so you could land ! I always loved watching pilots do that , and at distance, the animals leaping in every direction reminded me of fleas jumping .... smile

I probably saw you too, and gave you smile and a wave.

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/12/20 01:48 AM

That’s a pretty broad statement and assumption North. I understand your concern about having the legs. I’ve been across the country on some pretty demanding hunts, I’m just interested in the Bob due to its size, scenic offerings, and ease of obtaining a tag. Like my original post, just looking for personal experiences related to the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area.
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/12/20 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50

Maryland has higher land than Manitoba. Flatlander

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/12/20 02:08 AM

JoMiBru, I will tell I have been all over our country and Canada. It is absolutely some of the most beautiful country I have been in. The solitude, knowing it is you, my guide, and 1000's of, miles of no one. The occasional plane over head. Actually it is cool being on a mountain peak and look down on the plane flying under you. I have no regrets and love it when we go. But I understand the risks, and rewards. I did shoot a 329 6x7, so they are there. Brother shot a 350" 6x6. Keep us informed if you go.
I am about to book my 2022 retirement moose hunt.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/12/20 02:11 AM

Jo,
I know nothing about your ability to hunt so it would be hard to give you advice / information you were asking for.My questions were not meant to be discouraging.They were for me to help you with advice/information as you asked.I can tell from your response you don't need my advice/information so happy hunting.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/12/20 04:11 AM

My dad went on a guided drop camp hunt there about 12 years ago, elk and deer, and really enjoyed it. Killed both, though nothing huge.
Off topic ? about that wilderness area; can a fire be built? The wilderness areas around hear cannot build a fire or have horses. Although nothing near as large as the Bob. Good luck, and most definitely let us know what you decide. And results.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Bob Marshall Wilderness - 10/12/20 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by D.T.
Originally Posted by Northof50

Maryland has higher land than Manitoba. Flatlander

Our profile is where we live, not where we have worked in our lifetime.
But at least you understand what a flatlander is.
dealing with big brown fuzworts in hunting situations is what some guys don't get, look at the trailcamera footage on Muskrat 411 on this forum just posted
© 2024 Trapperman Forums