Home

Hay fire in Massachusetts

Posted By: Cragar

Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/11/20 07:15 PM

Lol....Trump signs get stolen a lot. I guess people steal Biden/Harris signs too.
A farmer in Massachusetts made a sign too big to steal , so someone burned it instead.

Massachusetts farm's display supporting Biden, Harris goes up in flames

https://www.foxnews.com/us/massachusetts-farms-display-supporting-biden-harris-goes-up-in-flames

IMO , this has got to stop regardless of which side you stand on.
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/11/20 07:21 PM

What are 19 bails of hay worth?
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/11/20 07:28 PM

Fake news. Farmers don't support Biden / Harris. Oh, wait, it's Massachusetts. Could go either way I guess.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/11/20 07:30 PM

Probably a false flag op to get more pity on B-H ticket and show how "radical" people on the other side are---expect something NEW everyday to be blamed on the Prez's supporters. The blue side know images sell...
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/11/20 08:53 PM

Surly an act of God in the form of a lightning strike.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/11/20 08:55 PM

The are balage bales which are about 45% moisture plus or minus and around here they weigh about 1,000 lbs. each and sell for about 35-50 per bale depending upon if they are 1st crop, 2nd and or 3rd. So it could be classified as a felony with that much value.

Bryce
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/11/20 09:08 PM

Bryce look up the new Walter Moss hybrid or GMO sorghum they have now. I roll will bring 3 times what you're quoting but your premise is correct. A pile of hay usually =s a pile of money
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/11/20 09:14 PM

At least nobody died
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/11/20 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cragar
Lol....Trump signs get stolen a lot. I guess people steal Biden/Harris signs too.
A farmer in Massachusetts made a sign too big to steal , so someone burned it instead.

Massachusetts farm's display supporting Biden, Harris goes up in flames

https://www.foxnews.com/us/massachusetts-farms-display-supporting-biden-harris-goes-up-in-flames

IMO , this has got to stop regardless of which side you stand on.

Yup
Posted By: Boco

Re: Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/11/20 09:23 PM

Doesnt hay spontaneously combust if baled or piled when too wet?
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/11/20 09:29 PM

The heat would have effected what looks like fiber optic cable under the electrical lines being that was close to the structure.

Now that is going to be an expensive fire once the charges are made a stick- and the company comes forward and demands restitution at the court date.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/11/20 09:32 PM

It sure will. Heck, even the pile of lawn clippings here in town gets hot and burns every summer. Doesn't hurt the curator's feelings either.

Re: Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/11/20 09:35 PM

Alfalfa is worth over $100 per ton.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/11/20 09:46 PM

I guess I'm the one that has to say it. The left can burn buildings, loot and destroy lives, and they are gonna whine over a pile of hay?

Oh yeah, the missus and I took a drive up north of where we live the other night. Guess there are communist farmers around here too, saw far too many blue signs. Just about made me mad enough to start a fire! lol. Can't understand how they and any outdoorsman could consider leaning towards the antigun, communist crowd!
Posted By: wr otis

Re: Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/11/20 10:03 PM

Those bales were every bit as smart as joe.
Posted By: Squaretimber

Re: Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/11/20 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
Fake news. Farmers don't support Biden / Harris. Oh, wait, it's Massachusetts. Could go either way I guess.

This was my first thought. This guy bought those round bails from a farmer and had them placed there

Re: Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/12/20 12:10 AM

Hay bales burned here today at the sale barn. It takes a lot of time to unroll them things and let them burn out.
Posted By: keets

Re: Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/12/20 12:31 AM

they did this themselves, seems pretty obvious
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Hay fire in Massachusetts - 10/12/20 12:53 AM

If you bale with enough moisture and in a smaller package the bale will ferment similar to silage and not burn or char. The moisture level will very with the type of forage but if baled too wet they will spoil and rot. Typically hay will not burn unless baled with too much moisture and then stored and packed tight or large enough for heat to generate. Most times the balage is wrapped ASAP to protect the forage and maintain nutrient value.

I am not familiar with the very high quality sorghum that has been mentioned here. All forage prices around here are driven by the value of dry hay for different qualities and corrected for moisture to determine price. Baling with more moisture allows beating the weather, one just needs to be able store the forage correctly. We have piles of haylage around here that store several thousands of tons and they don't heat or burn. More moisture allows the forage to ferment and the moisture helps maintain cooler temperatures. It is when you bale or chop hay that is just a little too wet and store in large quantities that you get real fire problems.

Bryce
© 2024 Trapperman Forums