Home

Dirt Transport

Posted By: gsteffek

Dirt Transport - 10/12/20 04:37 AM

Was curious as to how any of you carry your dry/waxed dirt to your set locations or remakes. I have seen both Jeff Dunlap and Clint Locklear use some sort of blue carboy, and others use a bucket. I had carpal tunnel surgery just a month ago and am really struggling to open the lid of the bucket that I have that snaps on, as my hand strength is really low right now and am looking for something that I can carry around and is not that hard to open with weak hands. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Than you.

Attached picture blue carboy_LI.jpg
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Dirt Transport - 10/12/20 05:42 AM

If you like using a bucket, you can get a spin-on lid. Snap the ring on once and the lid spins on and off almost effortlessly. We use them for my wife's flour bucket, the compost bucket, etc. Quick and easy to open and close for anyone, even the kids.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: Dirt Transport - 10/12/20 10:18 AM

Contact either of those guys, Both are very approachable and ask...They may even sell you one.
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Dirt Transport - 10/12/20 11:27 AM

Used gallon milk jugs.
Posted By: Hern

Re: Dirt Transport - 10/12/20 11:27 AM

I use wide mouth jugs to carry/apply peat or dirt to sets...

[Linked Image]

Where there's a will, there's a way
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Dirt Transport - 10/12/20 11:34 AM

Used clean gallon milk jugs and 3 quart plastic ice cream pails are what I use. And I carry them only when setting on first couple days. I stash them in nearby weedy fencerows and brush piles near each set location. When doing remakes I just walk over and grab a jug of waxed dirt from hiding spot nearby and pour it on set,, then put it back in hiding after the remake. Its all presifted so I don't even need to carry a sifter. Nothing to carry all season while checking except bait and lure in my coat pockets and of course the catches. The milk jugs keep the dry waxed dirt dry and cold same as outside temps all during season.
Save em up during off season and prefilled all of them before season too, a good funnel works great. Ive also made funnels for filling milk jugs from a cut off top of 2 liter soft drink plastic bottle. At set locations just grab a jug and pour. Pick em up at end of season and recycle them.for the next year.
I've got 50 jugs ready to go in my garage, here is pic of some of them. Been doing this since 80s and got this tip from Charlie Dobbins land trapping book.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Dirt Transport - 10/12/20 11:54 AM

If you prefer a five gallon bucket go to your local swimming pool or the towns water maintenance people . They have more five gallon buckets with screw on lids than they know what to do with . I get a few each year for free !
Posted By: wr otis

Re: Dirt Transport - 10/12/20 11:59 AM

Gallon zip lock freezer bags.
Posted By: TRAPDOC57

Re: Dirt Transport - 10/12/20 01:41 PM

I use coffee cans. Plastic for waxed dirt and peat moss and some old metal ones for grass clippings.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Dirt Transport - 10/12/20 03:30 PM

I use hern's method
© 2024 Trapperman Forums