Home

Training a dog for multiple species?

Posted By: BuckeyeYote

Training a dog for multiple species? - 10/14/20 12:47 AM

I have a 5 month old Trapline dog that is MT. Cur x Dorn bred. She is already doing very well in locating scent posts and finding scat. I obviously haven’t shown her a live coyote yet, as our trapping season is still about a month away. She has been getting very aggressive towards squirrel tails from squirrels I shot as well as squirrel hides, where I discard them after skinning. She seems like she would naturally start on them if I put in the time. I guess my question would be is there harm in trying to train on two different species ?
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: Training a dog for multiple species? - 10/14/20 12:52 AM

No harm at all if that's what you want the dog to do. My trap line dog regularly trees squirrel while on the trap line and I see it as a bonus because not only am I coming home with fur but supper too!
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: Training a dog for multiple species? - 10/14/20 01:26 AM

Let your dog contribute as much as possible I say. unless your planning on doing some strict field test type thing.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Training a dog for multiple species? - 10/14/20 01:28 AM

How about a coonhound and a shed finding dog?
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Training a dog for multiple species? - 10/14/20 01:49 AM

Lot of the major hound trainers and runners have their hounds trained for bear, lion, cat, coyote etc. Some travel a lot to get that done but then hounds is their business and love.

Bryce
Posted By: corky

Re: Training a dog for multiple species? - 10/14/20 02:20 AM

It's probably just as hard to limit the species a good dog will hunt.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Training a dog for multiple species? - 10/14/20 02:37 AM

Most dogs can be trained to hunt all species.
You can train them to "leave it" if they start after a species you don't want them to hunt at that particular moment.
You can trash break any dog off any species.
Posted By: nate

Re: Training a dog for multiple species? - 10/14/20 02:47 AM

Don't try to push a pup to do a grown ups job. Some it don't bother others suffer drastically.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Training a dog for multiple species? - 10/14/20 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by nate
Don't try to push a pup to do a grown ups job. Some it don't bother others suffer drastically.

very true
Posted By: PSPH17

Re: Training a dog for multiple species? - 10/15/20 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by BuckeyeYote
I have a 5 month old Trapline dog that is MT. Cur x Dorn bred. She is already doing very well in locating scent posts and finding scat. I obviously haven’t shown her a live coyote yet, as our trapping season is still about a month away. She has been getting very aggressive towards squirrel tails from squirrels I shot as well as squirrel hides, where I discard them after skinning. She seems like she would naturally start on them if I put in the time. I guess my question would be is there harm in trying to train on two different species ?

Buckeyeyote where did you get your pup if you don’t mind me asking ?? PM me if you prefer. Thanks CJ
© 2024 Trapperman Forums