Home

Taxidermy projects

Posted By: T-REV

Taxidermy projects - 10/15/20 12:25 AM

So for years Ive had an interest in learning Taxidermy. Mostly because Im tired of paying the cost of having my animals mounted and I figure with a little practice I could be doing my own work. I have always enjoyed hunting, fishing, and trapping so taxidermy seems to fit right in. I figure I would try some small mammal pedestal/shoulder style mounts before attempting full body or deer. So far the raccoon has been my first attempt. Of course as a newbie it has its flaws but its a start. I need to do some work on the artificial pine branch as well. At first the needles were pointed upward making the raccoon appear to be looking out of them. I guess the wire in them are flimsy. This bobcat is my current mount. When the mount finishes drying I will pull the pins and clips out. The pins keep the hide from pulling one way or the other during the drying stage. Especially around the mouth and eyes so I am not going for the pin head horror movie look. Even so it has its flaws but I believe I am off to a decent start with both. I will add a background with the bobcat and hang it on the wall. I believe my next attempt will be a full body mount of my red fox. Hope it turns out well.

Attached picture 81055E90-08E6-4A9E-8A01-66524931DEEC.jpeg
Attached picture 12BF97BA-5CCC-4F10-BEFB-FBBCF54FC603.jpeg
Attached picture 7833A999-7F9A-4719-8791-55FB16D9B0F2.jpeg
Attached picture FD397F17-667C-43AA-ACE9-A358C6B057B2.jpeg
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Taxidermy projects - 10/15/20 12:31 AM

Good job, never stop learning new ways to come up with the finished mount. People keep coming up with new ideas and new products to make wildlife art better,

Re: Taxidermy projects - 10/15/20 12:34 AM

Finally got these dang pics straightened out.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Taxidermy projects - 10/15/20 01:33 AM

That’s one wicked cat, lol
Much better than I cud do
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Taxidermy projects - 10/15/20 01:41 AM

Heck of a start.
I've seen "pros" that would peddle that off as being perfect.
Good job starting out.
Post some pics when finished please
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Taxidermy projects - 10/15/20 02:03 AM

T-REV - Stick with it, man! They're both lookin' real good. You've obviously got the aptitude for it, just stick with it. Practice, practice, practice. Deer heads and bear rugs are a dime-a-dozen. Stick with the furbearers and eventually you'll have folks knockin' down your door! It's tough to find a taxidermist that really "knows" furbearers. Way to go!

Jack
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Taxidermy projects - 10/15/20 02:05 AM

Good for you T-REV! Are you blowing the fur on the bobcat as it dries? Can’t wait to see it when it’s done!
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Taxidermy projects - 10/15/20 02:10 AM

Not bad for your first ones. I've seen people pay good money for work not as good as those.
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: Taxidermy projects - 10/15/20 03:22 AM

Not bad for starting out , get yourself a good set of reference pictures and look closely at them as your doing a mount . each mount should improve as you gain experience. Keep up the good work !
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Taxidermy projects - 10/15/20 09:22 AM

nice coon looks great , waiting to see cat all done ? smile

Re: Taxidermy projects - 10/15/20 09:47 AM

Thanks! I am back brushing the hair to keep it fluffed. I do it every morning and evening. A lot of taxidermists let them dry for a week. I do two just to be safe.

Re: Taxidermy projects - 10/15/20 09:49 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. I am truly surprised they have come out looking even halfway decent. It requires a ton of patience. Ironically I am about the least patient person I know.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Taxidermy projects - 10/15/20 09:59 AM

Voodoo cat! Great work, I played w/taxy but do not have an artistic eye. Mounts never looked natural.
Posted By: NJTrapper

Re: Taxidermy projects - 10/15/20 01:01 PM

You're off to a good start! If you are serious about taxidermy, join your state's taxidermy association. You will be around other taxidermists, along with seminars, you will get things going. You learn by doing.
Posted By: Pest's Dad

Re: Taxidermy projects - 10/15/20 07:45 PM

T-REV; Just Wow!

As Gulo said; " You've obviously got the aptitude for it. " smile
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Taxidermy projects - 10/15/20 08:50 PM

Looks like a great start to me. Like others have said I’ve seen pics of “ professional mounts” that didn’t look any more lifelike. I personally think a lot of cat forms, if that is what they are called, are to long in the nose.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums