Home

PA to RI? Or CT?

Posted By: Landon

PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 12:32 AM

I may have an opportunity in the near future with a job offer in RI. I am currently in PA. My wife and I are strong conservatives. I take my trapping, hunting and fishing seriously. It has slowed since having 3 kids over the last 5 years but I feel that PA has a lot to offer. Also as a gun owner, I am taking this into account because there are some significant restrictions to guns and freedoms in both RI and CT that I am not subject to in PA.

I have never been to RI and have only driven through CT on my way to Boston years ago. I am 32 an my wife is a phys. assistant. What are the hunting and trapping opportunities like in RI or CT? Looking at some of the gun restrictions in CT, surely RI is where I would want to live, but trapping regs make it seem like CT has more freedoms for trappers. I believe footholds are completely prohibited in RI and CT has significant gun and mag restrictions. I have not been given the offer letter yet but it is coming. If salary makes sense for my family, I will have a hard choice to make. I would like to advance my career but as a hunting trapping gun owner, I have to be able to continue my lifestyle.

Any advice?
Posted By: coyote44

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 01:00 AM

If you are a conservatives RI isn't for you that little state is solid blue. My son lives there and he is a conservative so we both know.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 01:20 AM

Trapping in CT: body grippers must be totally submerged except for 110 which must be touching water on at least one side. Foot hold traps legal in water or burrow of wild animals. Also legal for coyote on land in December and January. No snares allowed.
No high capacity mags (more than ten rounds) allowed. Can't bring your so called "assault rifle" into CT.
It I much easier to get a carry permit in CT than RI.

RI trapping allows 160's on state land 6' off the ground. 220's or smaller on the ground on private land. No snares, no foot traps allowed at any time. Cages allowed both states.

Both states have a fisher season, four in CT. Not sure about RI but I think it's 8.

In CT, with all seasons and permits you can take a dozen or more deer. RI may be unlimited but must purchase each tag individually. Its been a while since I hunted RI, so look on the RiDEM site for correct info.
No rifle hunting allowed in RI except for .22 small game.
Posted By: Steve D

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 01:24 AM

It appears as far as RI goes you can only use box traps or body-grips. Steel jaw leg holds are not permitted. You need a special permit to trap "state land" and written permission to trap "private" land.
Tough decision but the family always came first and I did a lot of sacrificing until the kids grew up and were on their own.
You could always go to one of them, make your fortune with the plan to move back to Pa @ another time.
You won't find the liberties there that you have in Pa.
Tough decision....Good Luck
R/I Trapping Regs.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 01:25 AM

Also, both states are deep blue and CT taxes are wicked high. I believe RI taxes are too, but not like CT.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 02:41 AM

i'd stay in pa! or go west!
Posted By: Pike River

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 03:12 AM

Is Massachusetts an option for you? Heck Vermont depending on where you are isn't terribly far.
Posted By: g smith

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 03:29 AM

It must be a HIGH PAYING job .I thought the whole state was pavement or concrete .hunker down in Pa
Posted By: AJE

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 05:03 AM

RI is 1 state I know almost nothing about. It doesn't seem like that state is even talked about.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 10:20 AM

Years ago I delivered chicken to CT and RI pretty regular. I didn’t care one way or the other for either but the people seemed ok.

Most recent trip was 2 weeks of strike duty in CT, that was fun.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 10:55 AM

Stay in PA, you won't regret it.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 11:08 AM

If you are LOOKING for a new job I'd say Ohio or Indiana. Or maybe West Virginia if you don't want to move far. I grew up in NYS, Illinois was a better job offer, but certainly not any better politically or tax wise.
If everything else is tolerable I'd say stay where you are.
Posted By: white17

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 01:53 PM

I'd head west and never look back !
Posted By: grumley701

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by white17
I'd head west and never look back !

X2..
Posted By: cmcf

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 04:38 PM

D none of the above.
Posted By: EdP

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 05:26 PM

The only 2 places remaining for conservatives in New England are northern NH and northern Maine, and they are both dying fast and neither has very good job opportunities. There are some conservatives in Ct and RI but very few and the liberals control everything. Mass is just as bad and Vermont is close. I grew up in RI but made my escape 43 years ago and I am very glad I did.

Don't be fooled by a high salary offer. You are likely to give it all back and more in higher cost of living. Look at real estate costs and compare the cost of what you have now with what it will take to get the equivalent there. Here is a tidbit from payscale.com: "Cost of Living in Providence, Rhode Island by Expense Category. Providence's housing expenses are 39% higher than the national average and the utility prices are 36% higher than the national average. ... Providence has grocery prices that are 8% higher than the national average."

With regard to RI, the state is a craphole due to decades of crooked politicians in office and a good ole boy system that would make any southern politician look like a saint. My advice is to stay away, stay away, stay away.

Be thankful that Pa still has open spaces and reasonable laws. If you are going to relocate go south or west, just don't go too far west!
Posted By: hippie

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
The only 2 places remaining for conservatives in New England are northern NH and northern Maine, and they are both dying fast and neither has very good job opportunities. There are some conservatives in Ct and RI but very few and the liberals control everything. Mass is just as bad and Vermont is close. I grew up in RI but made my escape 43 years ago and I am very glad I did.

Don't be fooled by a high salary offer. You are likely to give it all back and more in higher cost of living. Look at real estate costs and compare the cost of what you have now with what it will take to get the equivalent there. Here is a tidbit from payscale.com: "Cost of Living in Providence, Rhode Island by Expense Category. Providence's housing expenses are 39% higher than the national average and the utility prices are 36% higher than the national average. ... Providence has grocery prices that are 8% higher than the national average."

With regard to RI, the state is a craphole due to decades of crooked politicians in office and a good ole boy system that would make any southern politician look like a saint. My advice is to stay away, stay away, stay away.

Be thankful that Pa still has open spaces and reasonable laws. If you are going to relocate go south or west, just don't go too far west!

X2
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 08:35 PM

Bad enough in Pennsylvania! Go west. Or north.

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 10:52 PM

My wife and I have looked at real estate prices and see that comparable homes in RI are about 2.5-3x the cost of our home in PA. My lifestyle and political views are urging me to stay put. This position would be a relocation and I believe take my career to a whole new level. We have a great life here in PA in a good school district with a good church and good friends. Family is 3-4 hours away but close enough for weekend visits. Overall we live a blessed and comfortable life. Buutttttt...the thought of career possibilities is making it tough and I also don’t want to ruin advancement opportunities for the future as well.

How are populations of mink, rats, coon, and beaver in RI? Sounds like I would be killing deer with the bow. I could probably keep busy with that, but honestly one of the biggest holdups is my guns.
Posted By: coyote44

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 11:07 PM

I believe RI taxes are more than CT s. At least my son, who lives in RI says so.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 11:46 PM

What do you do for a living?
Posted By: run

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 11:50 PM

Stay put. Moving costs a lot of money.

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/15/20 11:58 PM

I am in environmental compliance in manufacturing. If we end up going, i would need to be compensated for all the relocation costs as well as our time and effort to make it happen. Also not willing to settle for less house, land, or space. Because we aren’t willing to settle, I know it all costs and it would need to make sense financially. Otherwise it’s an easy choice.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: PA to RI? Or CT? - 10/16/20 12:09 AM

A few years after retirement, I moved from Pennsylvania to Idaho. Although the majority of Counties in PA are conservative, due to Philadelphia and Pittsburgh it is a blue state. I would never move from a liberal state to a far more liberal state especially if I was happy in the place I presently live. Everybody is different, though.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums