Home

New boiling barrel prep

Posted By: Bob

New boiling barrel prep - 10/15/20 05:08 PM

How do you all go about prepping a new barrel for boiling traps? I’ve got an oil drum I’m getting ready to cut the top off, still got oil residue in it. Burn the oil off? Boil it off? Scrub with lye?
Posted By: concrete man

Re: New boiling barrel prep - 10/15/20 05:20 PM

I fill with water boil and dump. And boil again if necessary.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: New boiling barrel prep - 10/15/20 05:28 PM

Build a newspaper fire in there once she's burnt out scrub it with hot water and dawn dish soap and its good to go.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: New boiling barrel prep - 10/15/20 05:29 PM

Make sure that barrel is fully purged of any residule gasses that might be in there before cutting into it.
Posted By: hippie

Re: New boiling barrel prep - 10/15/20 05:33 PM

I cut mine in half, that way I have two. That said, the top one is alot easier to clean and just boil some water and dump out. Then set back on fire to burn anything that might be left over. Good to go then.

The other half, set so it can drain until you need it.
Posted By: The hammer

Re: New boiling barrel prep - 10/15/20 06:08 PM

Just build a good old camp fire and put the barrel over top of it opened end facing down. That will burn everything on the inside off and if the fire is hot enough or the barrel left on long enough will even burn the paint off the outside. Then wash it out good with a garden hose good to go.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: New boiling barrel prep - 10/15/20 07:11 PM

I agree with burn off the inside. I didn’t and had to deal with the “lining” peeling off into my dye.
Posted By: Mac

Re: New boiling barrel prep - 10/15/20 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
Make sure that barrel is fully purged of any residule gasses that might be in there before cutting into it.

Excellent advice. Years ago a couple of guys were cutting off the tops of barrels and one exploded. The heat burnt a young boy completely over his body. Months and months of recovery time and rehab. Never was able to work. It was horrible.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: New boiling barrel prep - 10/15/20 09:34 PM

You do need to burn the inside, but you'll be ahead if you rinse it out with degreaser first. Less oil to burn out = less time to burn it clean.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums