Home

Backup camera

Posted By: AJE

Backup camera - 10/18/20 03:26 AM

I bought this for my truck. I haven't installed it yet. It might be handy backing up while on the trap line. I never knew these could be added to old trucks, until I saw it at the store. The outrageously low price has me wondering if it is a gimmick. We'll see I guess. Installing it may be tough.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Backup camera - 10/18/20 03:29 AM

Videocamera technology is extremely cheap now. The camera you bought will probably work fine.

Keith
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Backup camera - 10/18/20 05:09 AM

Best thing ever for hooking up a trailer by yourself.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Backup camera - 10/18/20 05:13 AM

I like mine a lot. Really handy for hooking up a trailer, and making sure no kids or pets are behind you
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Backup camera - 10/18/20 06:56 AM

I take pride in knowing where the ends of my truck are and being able to park my ball under my hitch consistently. My wife thinks her car is 40 ft long and parks 10 ft away from everything. A camera is a crutch, but it sure could be a handy crutch.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Backup camera - 10/18/20 11:26 AM

I thought it would be nice when they first came out. Turns out I never look at it and just use the mirrors like I always have!
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Backup camera - 10/18/20 11:40 AM

My wife's car has one. The camera is built into the back of the car but points just a little to the side. If you think the car is going to back up to the middle of the screen, you'll always miss the target. I can back up with mirrors - her, not so much. I drew a marker line crooked on the screen so she would know where the middle actually was and it worked. But she didn't like the line and removed it.

I now back up with the mirrors and she only drives forward. I think they're a good idea. Ours is just designed poorly.
Posted By: corky

Re: Backup camera - 10/18/20 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by wildflights

x2
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Backup camera - 10/18/20 11:51 AM

All our vehicles have them and it's great for backing up to trailers and in the field. Prior to that, my wife had an uncanny ability to stand in a perfect blind spot where she was undetectable to any mirror located on my truck, she would also give you the keep coming hand signal, providing a false sense on security that you were perfectly aligned, until she shook her head at the last minute and then switched to the pull forward hand shake... best investment I made, yes my wife and then backup camera.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Backup camera - 10/18/20 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
My wife's car has one. The camera is built into the back of the car but points just a little to the side. If you think the car is going to back up to the middle of the screen, you'll always miss the target. I can back up with mirrors - her, not so much. I drew a marker line crooked on the screen so she would know where the middle actually was and it worked. But she didn't like the line and removed it.

I now back up with the mirrors and she only drives forward. I think they're a good idea. Ours is just designed poorly.

Never heard of that...crazy
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Backup camera - 10/18/20 12:37 PM

my new car has one too. I dont use it to back up much as im use to using mirrors for 50 yrs. I do use it to watch for small animals getting behind me when backing.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Backup camera - 10/18/20 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by corky
Originally Posted by wildflights

x2

Not nearly as good exercise, lol.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Backup camera - 10/18/20 01:24 PM

Really good for if it is recording and when a bump occurs and the dingbat hits you from behind you have the security card for insurance purposes. Same as front mounted dash cams, cheap lawyer riding all the time.
One thing is if you have a tendancy to "road rage talk" turn off the inside recording, you may cook your goose in that you are "not having due cause" in your driving mode.
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: Backup camera - 10/18/20 01:57 PM

I believe they are required in all new vehicles since 2018.
Posted By: trapperbless

Re: Backup camera - 10/18/20 02:05 PM

We put a $130 backup camera on our big square baler. It makes a world of difference, especially in thick hay when there’s bales everywhere. Before we had the camera, one of my workers backed into a bale and hit the ladder costing over $200 to replace. Hopefully that won’t happen again. We can also see if the baler isn’t tying properly before the bales hit the ground. They definitely make things a little easier
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Backup camera - 10/18/20 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Really good for if it is recording and when a bump occurs and the dingbat hits you from behind you have the security card for insurance purposes. Same as front mounted dash cams, cheap lawyer riding all the time.
One thing is if you have a tendancy to "road rage talk" turn off the inside recording, you may cook your goose in that you are "not having due cause" in your driving mode.

Talk about Big Brother. I'll pass.
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: Backup camera - 10/18/20 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
I bought this for my truck. I haven't installed it yet. It might be handy backing up while on the trap line. I never knew these could be added to old trucks, until I saw it at the store. The outrageously low price has me wondering if it is a gimmick. We'll see I guess. Installing it may be tough.

[Linked Image]

I bought 2 of them last fall from Fleet Farm for 35.00 each easy to set up.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Backup camera - 10/18/20 05:25 PM

My work Van has one...but it’s best to check it out after installing. I was smart enough to put cones behind mine to try it out...I hit the cone and it still showed I had a couple of feet, lol.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Backup camera - 10/18/20 05:44 PM

I would expect that one to work fine. Mirrors are there for a reason, many people rely on the camera too much. The mirrors can see where the camera can't, and the camera can see where the mirrors can't. Together they make a really good system.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Backup camera - 10/19/20 10:11 PM

my '03 came with an aftermarket camera and its great, i can back up to hook up trailers first try.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Backup camera - 10/19/20 10:38 PM

I've installed a few if those peak brand.bqckup cameras. they work good. The picture quality isn't very good, kinda grainy, but it's good enough for what it's designed for.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums