Home

Grass seed

Posted By: AJE

Grass seed - 10/18/20 03:42 AM

I don't have the nicest yard, but am always trying to improve it. Historically, I overseed in the Spring. This year I think I might try something different: overseed before Winter, and not even rake it in. Then I'm thinking in the Spring it'll be all set to go (& hopefully grow). I'm sure some of you have tried this before
Posted By: JD Hornet

Re: Grass seed - 10/18/20 03:52 AM

Seed must come in contact with the soil. Mow your grass short and make sure the leaves are raked and get the seed worked into the soil maybe just driving your mower around.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Grass seed - 10/18/20 03:52 AM

I seed in the fall, bout mid Sept., I might have to water at first if the weather is dry.
But usually the cooler weather, less sun keeps the soil moist.
I had good germination and already the spots I seeded have filled in nicely and will be really good come end of May.

I use a mix of Fescues only, they are a cool season grass.
Posted By: trapperne

Re: Grass seed - 10/18/20 04:01 AM

As a lawn maintenance professional I recommend waiting until soil temps reach about 60 degrees in the spring and use an aerator or slice seeder to increase ground contact. Then about 2 weeks after fermentation you can put down preemergent herbicide for weed control. The next best would be to wait u til next fall late August/ early September.

Re: Grass seed - 10/18/20 04:05 AM

I've never heard of a slice seeder
Posted By: charles

Re: Grass seed - 10/18/20 04:24 AM

Get a soil test. Lime and fertilize as needed. Plugging helps also.

Re: Grass seed - 10/27/20 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by JD Hornet
Seed must come in contact with the soil. Mow your grass short and make sure the leaves are raked and get the seed worked into the soil maybe just driving your mower around.

Some research has told me that if ya put grass seed down before snowfall, by Spring that seed should naturally be worked into the ground & grow ok, but I don't know that I've tried it
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Grass seed - 10/27/20 10:26 PM

I overseed in the fall, but it's way too late in the year now to do it. I do it in September some time. I now really low, aerate hoping two different directions, put down seed, and then starter fertilizer.

Re: Grass seed - 10/27/20 10:28 PM

Some I've talked to have said the later the better, so ya don't risk it sprouting before winter.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Grass seed - 10/27/20 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by trapperne
As a lawn maintenance professional I recommend waiting until soil temps reach about 60 degrees in the spring and use an aerator or slice seeder to increase ground contact. Then about 2 weeks after fermentation you can put down preemergent herbicide for weed control. The next best would be to wait u til next fall late August/ early September.

X2
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Grass seed - 10/27/20 11:26 PM

If its Green we mow it...if not we don't.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Grass seed - 10/28/20 02:13 AM

Just put it down as you are feeding some migrating sparrows and junco's in the fall and spring as well.
But
their feeding activity with the scratching will put the seed in the soil grow zone, that's for sure.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Grass seed - 10/28/20 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
Some I've talked to have said the later the better, so ya don't risk it sprouting before winter.

I want it to sprout in the fall and grow.
If your using cool season grasses this is "normal" for them.
My fall planted grass is already up and has grown approx 2-3"
Next spring it will take off right where it left off.
It doesn't die over the winter.

Re: Grass seed - 10/28/20 02:37 AM

Interesting. Good to know. 1 major concern I would have though, Dirty, is that my yard is virtually covered in leaves. The leaves pretty much just stopped falling, to the point where I can finally sweep it up. If I had grass coming up now, I would think the mower & sweeper would tear it up as I pick up the leaves.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Grass seed - 10/28/20 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
Interesting. Good to know. 1 major concern I would have though, Dirty, is that my yard is virtually covered in leaves. The leaves pretty much just stopped falling, to the point where I can finally sweep it up. If I had grass coming up now, I would think the mower & sweeper would tear it up as I pick up the leaves.

Run them over with the mower so you end up mulching them.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Grass seed - 10/28/20 03:56 AM

Legume seeds are hard and hard coated and can lay on the surface for months before they find the conditions to germinate and grow. Grass, most grasses and grass seeds are not that hard and you don't want the seed rotting on the surface before it can grow. Grass does not typically frost seed nearly as well as legumes do, especially clovers. There are things you can do in the spring to really get your grass to germinate and grow quickly, so that is what I would do and not worry about any fall applications.

Bryce

Re: Grass seed - 10/29/20 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pike River

Run them over with the mower so you end up mulching them.
That might be an idea for working in the seed smile
Posted By: RedIShedND

Re: Grass seed - 10/29/20 05:49 PM

Mix cheap cat litter to help your planter spread it evenly, you didn't say what type of tree many leaves prevent grass from growing leaving acid in the soil
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Grass seed - 10/29/20 08:00 PM

I bought some quick start grass seed this year

toss it down and have grass sprouting in a week

bright green grows up decent

heck it even grew in the gravel

fastest growing's grass seed I have ever seen
Posted By: WHSKR

Re: Grass seed - 10/29/20 11:30 PM

AJE as far north as you are it is too late for any turf type fescue the Seed will rot. If you want any type of grass to grow this winter you might sow annual Rye grass it stands the best chance of sprouting this late. It will die out as you mow it next spring and summer. You can spray and kill it early to work turf type fescue into the soil. Some type of soil disturbance has to take place for best Germination to occur. IT IS CRITICAL TO have good seed/soil contact so when it germinates the root will not dry out on top of the ground. Late March early April for cool season turf type fescue lawns should be good timing that far north.
An aerator or a soil plugger can be pulled behind a 4 wheeler early spring/late winter and then a roller to press the seed into that soil. Leaves are good sources of nutrients but if they get wet and lay on top of your grass they will kill out the grass keep them chopped and blowed away in the fall.
Fertilizer in August every fall not in the spring will do more for a cool season lawn than anything else you can do.
Scratch the soil some every Sept and over seed some seed especially in any thin spots. Most fescue needs sunny locations not dense shade. There are some variety that do ok in shade “creeping fescue”.
Hope this helps
Also most fescue likes a ph of 6-7 lime now for next spring if needed run a soil sample by the extension service.

Now if your talking about a small area or a entrance way or cost is not a factor. Right now is the very best time to apply a cool season fescue sod. Instant yard and it will root in all winter and be beautiful quickly.

Re: Grass seed - 10/30/20 04:53 AM

I got this overseeeding 'issue' figured out I think. I talked to a golf course head grounds keeper tonight (a guy I know quite well). He set me up with some grass seed & said right before snow is often an easy & great time to plant in some cases, since the snow & melting should push the seed far enough into the surface to where it should grow decent. He did say rotting is a slight risk. He encouraged me to try to rake it in a little if possible. I was glad I ran into him tonight at the hardware store.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums