Home

Fish heads

Posted By: coonman220

Fish heads - 10/18/20 05:41 AM

Manage to get some fish heads. For bait, are big fish heads that are just to big to use, easily split with out a tiger saw or band saw? I think not split with ax when frozen head
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Fish heads - 10/18/20 06:51 AM

Freeze and use any kind of saw.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Fish heads - 10/18/20 11:05 AM

The most successful coon bait I've used was ground carp with anise oil in it. (not anus oil)
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Fish heads - 10/18/20 11:25 AM

Split them with a meat cleaver
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Fish heads - 10/18/20 01:17 PM

the best are some walleye heads because the eye ball is reflective, so make sure you get the eye to line-up looking right out the hole, when you stuff it in.
Posted By: Minklongliner

Re: Fish heads - 10/18/20 01:28 PM

Yup u should split some of them half Frozen with Hatchet or if u got a Sawzall use that myself i use my meat saw fast way to do it
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Fish heads - 10/18/20 02:20 PM

Easy to handle with a good ax. I chop a few into chunks at a stop and it lasts for four or five stops. No mess and blood. I just throw a 25# box in the truck every morning still frozen. This time of the year it will taint fast if you are using pockets so if it is frozen when you use it , it will stay fresh longer. You do not need a saw. That is a mess every time. LLL

Re: Fish heads - 10/18/20 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
The most successful coon bait I've used was ground carp with anise oil in it. (not anus oil)
I don't know anything about this, I have had anise oil lure, for coon, was reading that it is a poor attracter for coon, I don't know why that would be though

Re: Fish heads - 10/18/20 04:17 PM

Yes I chop of froze fish or head an what left it after was fillet, got 4 big buckets fish, I don't have time to do lots trapping with pockets, seems like a lot but maybe last 6 weeks, if u were running 80 pockets a day, that little but fish would make it maybe 5 days an out, I chop up frozen with ax at home bfore go an out in pocket frozen, yes it better it nor warm weather, spoils in pocket. Lot times it warm in December, chop a big carp head in half ? U can ? Some heads I got are pretty big
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Fish heads - 10/19/20 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220
Yes I chop of froze fish or head an what left it after was fillet, got 4 big buckets fish, I don't have time to do lots trapping with pockets, seems like a lot but maybe last 6 weeks, if u were running 80 pockets a day, that little but fish would make it maybe 5 days an out, I chop up frozen with ax at home bfore go an out in pocket frozen, yes it better it nor warm weather, spoils in pocket. Lot times it warm in December, chop a big carp head in half ? U can ? Some heads I got are pretty big

When I run for coon, I would use a five gallon bucket of heads a day. I prefer them in boxes because I can pry them apart easier than in buckets and they do not stack well in the freezer in round buckets. All of my lines would have around 100 stops or 200 pockets and I was usually running two and sometimes three lines. I am afraid I have ran my last long lines for at least a few years. The will is strong but the market is weak. LLL

Re: Fish heads - 10/19/20 07:41 PM

Wow 200 pockets !! Lot fish lot fur an lot work, not sure how many I dig but likely under 50 a season, but leave traps there long time., Come back in thaw an setup. Some catch lot,
© 2024 Trapperman Forums