Home

The owls are worse

Posted By: Gone Trappin.

The owls are worse - 10/18/20 09:53 PM

than the coons, coyotes, and any other animal when it comes to killing ducks and chickens. At least around my neck of the woods. Do you guys have a problem with owls killing your ducks or chickens, these where full grown ducks by the way.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: The owls are worse - 10/18/20 09:57 PM

Hawks are a bigger problem in these parts. If hawks were outlawed there would be a lot more wildlife of all kinds.
Posted By: Knappett

Re: The owls are worse - 10/18/20 10:04 PM

Hawks here too. In the last 3 years there has been a huge increase in hawks around my area and a noticeable drop in all small game. Ruffled grouse especially.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: The owls are worse - 10/18/20 10:05 PM

Owls use to be a problem.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: The owls are worse - 10/18/20 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Owls use to be a problem.

How do u make them?

What's yr favorite recipe?
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: The owls are worse - 10/18/20 10:20 PM

Yes, but They almost taste like chicken
Posted By: Cragar

Re: The owls are worse - 10/18/20 10:29 PM

Mostly red tails here , they get in some houses on occasion.

[Linked Image]

I've handled 2 , capture and release. 2 sharp shinned hawks as well.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: The owls are worse - 10/18/20 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
Yes, but They almost taste like chicken

I no I no everything tastes like chicken-rattlesnakes, chicken hawks, turtles, eagles, etc.
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: The owls are worse - 10/18/20 10:54 PM

I had two friends go on a musk oxen hunt. The guides killed and ate every snowy owl they saw. They said they were pretty good when you are hungry. Owls are starting to be a problem for me. They go inside kill a hen and then drag it outside. I have to lock the hens up right at dark.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: The owls are worse - 10/18/20 11:01 PM

I see far more cats crossing my yard than Hawks hunting. I think cats are still the #1 killer of wild life there is. But I could be wrong.

Re: The owls are worse - 10/18/20 11:02 PM

I see far more cats crossing my yard than Hawks hunting. I think cats are still the #1 killer of wild life there is. But I could be wrong.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: The owls are worse - 10/18/20 11:06 PM

We have had a large increase in Barred and Great-horned owls where I live. Coyotes still seem to be the main chicken killer I hear about though.
Posted By: trappermac NY

Re: The owls are worse - 10/18/20 11:31 PM

Its amazing to me how birds of prey are blamed for killing everything out there by folks who do not understand the diet of a hawk, owl, or falcon. When I kept chickens I made a coop and weathering yard that prevented them getting killed from above or below. If they free roamed they did when we were there, they were secure in the coop by evening. Hawks, owls, possum, weasel, raccoon, fox, mink, skunk, coyote, your neighbors dog, your neighbors cat, feral cats, .....all want to eat chicken. If you lose them to predators its your fault, not that there are "too many" of them around. Show a predator an easy meal and he'll be back. As trappers you should know that.
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: The owls are worse - 10/18/20 11:53 PM

He ... It...May if I don't see it
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 10:20 AM

yes owl's are bad on chickens an ducks , I thought I had fox going into coop at night set up trail camera an it was owls ,walking right up ramp an coming out with chicken ,
Posted By: cotton

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 11:09 AM

coons here will really hurt your flock.
seams they eat the ducks first tho then start on the chickens
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by SundanceMtnMan
I had two friends go on a musk oxen hunt. The guides killed and ate every snowy owl they saw. They said they were pretty good when you are hungry. Owls are starting to be a problem for me. They go inside kill a hen and then drag it outside. I have to lock the hens up right at dark.

I have repeatedly caught great horned owls in live traps set in our chicken coop. They walk right on in for the next victim until you help them out.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 11:48 AM

Owls have a taste for ducks it would seem, also out on the prairie every winter we got a few Snowy Owls. I thought they were mostly after mice and such but I now know they are after the mallards that overwinter in the creek bottoms.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 11:56 AM

We lost ducks here in 98' and then quit the ducks and got chickens. Built a chicken Pen for outside. Door to their coop.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 11:58 AM

Red fox are the top predator of our chickens here followed by red tail hawks. Since we reinforced the pen and put bird netting over it two years ago we've had zero losses. We only free range when we're home and can leave the dogs outside.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 12:21 PM

Our chickens coop is built on a 16' car trailer. I move it around with the goats and sheep
We use premier 1 electro stop 48" net for containment powered by a 2 joule speedrite solar charged Energizer. They get closed up at night and let out around 10 a.m. In the last 3 years we lost some young hens to coons . I missed judged their size and they fit through the fence and hadn't been trained to roost in the coop yet. Completely my fault, and we lost one to Red Tail Hawks. Coons get trapped or shot on sight Legally hands are tied with Raptors.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by trappermac NY
Its amazing to me how birds of prey are blamed for killing everything out there by folks who do not understand the diet of a hawk, owl, or falcon. When I kept chickens I made a coop and weathering yard that prevented them getting killed from above or below. If they free roamed they did when we were there, they were secure in the coop by evening. Hawks, owls, possum, weasel, raccoon, fox, mink, skunk, coyote, your neighbors dog, your neighbors cat, feral cats, .....all want to eat chicken. If you lose them to predators its your fault, not that there are "too many" of them around. Show a predator an easy meal and he'll be back. As trappers you should know that.

Yup.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 03:01 PM

Well the NWTF ranks hawks and owls up there with Bobcats as the top predators of wild turkeys. And they are referring to radio collared hens, not eggs or poults. I have personally seen a Redtail dive bomb a gobbler who apparently saw it in time to jump up and meet it head in with its spurs. My buddy has a video of a roosted hen being knocked out of a tree by an owl. These are wild birds...not penned up birds for an easy meal. So yeah, owls and hawks are a problem that can’t be remedied...legally.
Posted By: run

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 03:11 PM

I like when owls eat mice. You can tell what owls eat by looking at the scat. Sorry for the loss of tame poultry.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 04:16 PM

The government should allow reasonable control of predators, whether they have fur or feathers. I don't want to see birds of prey go extinct. I enjoy falconry and just seeing birds of prey. But it is unreasonable not to to let people legally protect their livestock from extremely abundant predators. Birds of prey kill millions of dollars worth of domestic animals a year in the US. You should be allowed to legally kill any common predator in the act of killing livestock. There should also be a season on common birds of prey, with a limited take. It would greatly help our small game populations.

Keith
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 08:28 PM

I agree totally with Keith, something needs to be done ,

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
The government should allow reasonable control of predators, whether they have fur or feathers. I don't want to see birds of prey go extinct. I enjoy falconry and just seeing birds of prey. But it is unreasonable not to to let people legally protect their livestock from extremely abundant predators. Birds of prey kill millions of dollars worth of domestic animals a year in the US. You should be allowed to legally kill any common predator in the act of killing livestock. There should also be a season on common birds of prey, with a limited take. It would greatly help our small game populations.

Keith

Are you a licensed falconer?
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 09:19 PM

Don’t know what they taste like but they are bold.

[Linked Image]

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm

Keith

Are you a licensed falconer?

I am not a licensed falconer, but one of my best friends and two other friends are. We used to go 40 sometimes a year. Now, I only go a few times a year.

[Linked Image]

Keith

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 09:59 PM

Most wild animals can be used for food or fur, but just to kill something is not the best way to handle things. If that is the case lets start shooting cats that are outside. They are a big killer of wild life and they are not wild. Raptors are just traying to get a easy meal and yes I was a falconer for just over 50 years. IF you ever get a chance to go hunting with a falconer, go there is nothing like it. If you have lots of game invite him or her over they are always looking for new field to hunt.

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Well the NWTF ranks hawks and owls up there with Bobcats as the top predators of wild turkeys. And they are referring to radio collared hens, not eggs or poults. I have personally seen a Redtail dive bomb a gobbler who apparently saw it in time to jump up and meet it head in with its spurs. My buddy has a video of a roosted hen being knocked out of a tree by an owl. These are wild birds...not penned up birds for an easy meal. So yeah, owls and hawks are a problem that can’t be remedied...legally.

That study was based upon 41 hens killed over 5 years in PA, where by far the bobcat was number 1. There were 3 hens killed by foxes, owls, and hawks combined.

The NWTF also feels that controlling predator populations would have zero effect on overall turkey populations. Greatest threat to turkeys is habitat loss and habitat quality, according to nwtf.

Every year Cornell U. has a webcam on a nesting pair of redtails. Watching that you will see chipmunks, snakes, red squirrels, and field mice being the predominate animal brought back to the nest. Have never seen a turkey brought back, never a mammal larger than a rabbit.

I am a licensed falconer, have hunted a redtail mainly. They are never looking for a turkey, they have squirrels and bunnies on their minds when hunting.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Getting There
Most wild animals can be used for food or fur, but just to kill something is not the best way to handle things. If that is the case lets start shooting cats that are outside. They are a big killer of wild life and they are not wild. Raptors are just traying to get a easy meal and yes I was a falconer for just over 50 years. IF you ever get a chance to go hunting with a falconer, go there is nothing like it. If you have lots of game invite him or her over they are always looking for new field to hunt.

Killing competing predators and even free-roaming house cats was exactly what our fore-fathers did. And it worked. Low numbers of predators equals more prey species for human hunters. It's not rocket science.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 10:41 PM

Keith

x3

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Originally Posted by Getting There

Killing competing predators and even free-roaming house cats was exactly what our fore-fathers did. And it worked. Low numbers of predators equals more prey species for human hunters. It's not rocket science.

Please get more deer hunter in Michigan so we do not have 55,000 are deer accidents a year. Raccoon are dead all over the place on hi-way.

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 11:05 PM

If the NWTF feels that killing predators have no effect, then why do they promote trapping? That makes no sense whatsoever. I read it as 3 each taken by fox, owls, and hawks. I can only tell you what I’ve seen down South.

As far as “ferals” I discuss that topic with every landowner and manager. Haven’t had one yet to tell me to relocate. And don’t let one be seen from the deer stand on any property I know of. If we can kill feral hogs then every other feral should be on the list as well.

Re: The owls are worse - 10/19/20 11:23 PM

If the NWTF feels that killing predators have no effect, then why do they promote trapping? That makes no sense whatsoever. I read it as 3 each taken by fox, owls, and hawks. I can only tell you what I’ve seen down South

Because they believe in sound management of the habitat and that includes controlling predators through trapping and hunting. They believe targeting predators solely for the purpose of improving turkey populations, or targeting one species of predator, will have no effect on turkey populations.

If coyotes and fox could fly, so you'd see them like you do a BOP, you'd be amazed at how much they out number birds of prey.

Re: The owls are worse - 10/20/20 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by trappermac NY

That study was based upon 41 hens killed over 5 years in PA, where by far the bobcat was number 1. There were 3 hens killed by foxes, owls, and hawks combined.

The NWTF also feels that controlling predator populations would have zero effect on overall turkey populations. Greatest threat to turkeys is habitat loss and habitat quality, according to nwtf.

Every year Cornell U. has a webcam on a nesting pair of redtails. Watching that you will see chipmunks, snakes, red squirrels, and field mice being the predominate animal brought back to the nest. Have never seen a turkey brought back, never a mammal larger than a rabbit.

I am a licensed falconer, have hunted a redtail mainly. They are never looking for a turkey, they have squirrels and bunnies on their minds when hunting.

I know of two adult wild turkeys caught by red tails, that were being flown by falconers in Ohio. One turkey got loose and the other was killed. I witnessed an adult redtail named Sally kill an adult peahen. We caught many adult ringneck pheasants with redtail hawks. I have seen many wild bobwhite chicks killed and eaten by Cooper's hawks in a wellfield in Trenton, Ohio. Most predation by wild birds of prey on game species is on young of the year.

Keith

Re: The owls are worse - 10/20/20 01:35 AM

Hawks and quail definitely don’t mix. We don’t hunt rabbits or any other small game on most private properties here to hopefully leave enough for the avian predators, hoping they’ll prey on them more than the quail. It when you have an abundance of prey, there will always be predators.

Re: The owls are worse - 10/20/20 03:52 AM

I am not a licensed falconer, but one of my best friends and two other friends are. We used to go 40 sometimes a year. Now, I only go a few times a year.

[Linked Image]

Keith
[/quote]

I have had the opportunity to fly some birds during a meet. It was very fun and interesting. My daughter was really wanting to get involved as was I but I didn't have the time. She did but even going to a few meets and joining what ever organization they had the guys are older and clickish and pretty well blew her off thinking she wanted a cool pet. " o honey this is a blood sport" no crap well to make it a short story we gave up on it.

I guess it will be a dead sport considering they don't want to help get youngster's involved. O well their choice.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: The owls are worse - 10/20/20 10:47 AM

RTailed Hawk got a duck yesterday ,got the vid on a security camera wish I could share it .
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: The owls are worse - 10/20/20 12:33 PM

I give owls time if they step out of line...
[Linked Image]
Actually this poor little bugger(screech owl) was being mobbed by crow on my lawn. I could see the crows were after something alive, went out it was an owl. I put a laundry basket over it and called the DEC. The Officer took it to a rehab place. The owl had minor injury, it had a short stay and released. Owls have never been a problem here, the main problem was a neighborhood dog. The dog had a daily routine harassing and killing my chickens, the problem was resolved when I explained to them my plans on dealing with the problem.

Re: The owls are worse - 10/20/20 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by rendezvous
I give owls time if they step out of line...
[Linked Image]
Actually this poor little bugger(screech owl) was being mobbed by crow on my lawn. I could see the crows were after something alive, went out it was an owl. I put a laundry basket over it and called the DEC. The Officer took it to a rehab place. The owl had minor injury, it had a short stay and released. Owls have never been a problem here, the main problem was a neighborhood dog. The dog had a daily routine harassing and killing my chickens, the problem was resolved when I explained to them my plans on dealing with the problem.

Sweet deal on the owl rehab. Last Thanksgiving I picked up a bard owl off the interstate that had a compound fractured leg. I got it to the state rehaber and it was released in march. That was the 2nd owl and I picked up one hawk also.
I found when warning the neighbors about the solution to my of problem their stock killing problem causing pets it dose nothing for the problem but does bring them to your front door when fido goes missing. Those confrontations led me to for go the warning. Then fluffy just dissapeared problem solved without the possibility of me ending up in jail.

Re: The owls are worse - 10/21/20 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Providence
I have had the opportunity to fly some birds during a meet. It was very fun and interesting. My daughter was really wanting to get involved as was I but I didn't have the time. She did but even going to a few meets and joining what ever organization they had the guys are older and clickish and pretty well blew her off thinking she wanted a cool pet. " o honey this is a blood sport" no crap well to make it a short story we gave up on it.

I guess it will be a dead sport considering they don't want to help get youngster's involved. O well their choice.

The Ohio falconers I know do a decent job recruiting young people and women. Their numbers are growing. I have a young adult, female falconer coming over on Saturday for some pigeons to train a Cooper's hawk on. I don't know any Indiana falconers. I know mostly Ohio falconers and a very few from Kentucky, West Virginia and Michigan. If you're close to Ohio, I could give you the contact information for someone who could find your daughter a master. I could also introduce you to some people you could go on a hunt with.

Keith
© 2024 Trapperman Forums