Home

Shortlining with Logan

Posted By: 160user

Shortlining with Logan - 10/19/20 01:05 PM

Our water season opens on Saturday and we did a little scouting and it appears that everything will be froze up tight before opener. Winter sure came early this winter and will make things difficult. To "scratch the itch" yesterday we plugged in 3 coyote sets behind the house for him to check each morning before school. This isn't good coyote country and I am not a good coyote trapper but a coyote is one of the few animals he has left to catch. We checked our 3 sets this morning and came up blank but it is still good to have something for him to look forward to. Hopefully there will be a catch of some sort this week to post pictures of.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BanditBuster

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/19/20 01:09 PM

What town are you near? I spent the weekend scouting my line in Hubbard and Clearwater counties. I was hoping to run a couple hundred water sets but I doubt that will happen. The small ponds were already capped over.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/19/20 01:13 PM

Seems the last 2 years we had cold autumns but mild (but snowy) winters.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/19/20 01:14 PM

Hope the yotes come through the area for him, early morning check and catch circles in the snow will be exciting for him. keep us posted.

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/19/20 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
Hope the yotes come through the area for him, early morning check and catch circles in the snow will be exciting for him. keep us posted.

It would be exciting for me too!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/19/20 01:57 PM

Good to see the two of you out and about.
So is that the gun he is holding from last years trapping adventure?

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/19/20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Good to see the two of you out and about.
So is that the gun he is holding from last years trapping adventure?

Yes, that old Steven's 22 single shot. He bought that rifle with his first years trapping profits. It is a really clean old rifle. $60 and he got about a brick of assorted ammo with it. Grandpa made him a heck of a deal on it.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/19/20 06:08 PM

Our water season does not open until the 31st here and by looking at the extended forecast I determined that all of the small water will be frozen over by then if not sooner and a lot of the bigger lakes too. There is also a LOT more snow in the forecast. These factors made me decide to pull my trapping boat out of the lake and turn it over and pull the small boat lift it sat upon before it all froze in. Dang, I had wanted to get after some beaver that had colonies on the waterway here too. I think spring will now be a better option. It is snowing again now and the temp is right at 30 on my front steps.

Good luck to you and Logan, Rob, I hope you can get one of those coyotes without mange.

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/19/20 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by MnMan
Our water season does not open until the 31st here and by looking at the extended forecast I determined that all of the small water will be frozen over by then if not sooner and a lot of the bigger lakes too. There is also a LOT more snow in the forecast. These factors made me decide to pull my trapping boat out of the lake and turn it over and pull the small boat lift it sat upon before it all froze in. Dang, I had wanted to get after some beaver that had colonies on the waterway here too. I think spring will now be a better option. It is snowing again now and the temp is right at 30 on my front steps.

Good luck to you and Logan, Rob, I hope you can get one of those coyotes without mange.

The ponds here are already frozen and it is still 5 more days until opener. We too but the little trapping boat back in the pole barn. We will run a FEW sets on moving water but I am not going to work very hard at it given the prices. I started fattening up the coon a month or more ago and had them coming every night but even that has stopped now.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/19/20 08:12 PM

hope for the best , deal with what happens , great to see you two back at it, I will be watching to see what you guys get smile
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/19/20 08:58 PM

I will be watching as well. Hope he gets one. Did he ever get a boathouse for the pontoon?

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/19/20 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Trap Setter
I will be watching as well. Hope he gets one. Did he ever get a boathouse for the pontoon?

Yes, we got a boathouse built for his pontoon but I guess I made the doorway too small. smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/19/20 11:24 PM

Dang wont any skinning being done in there especially if that lady has anythong to say about it !

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/19/20 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by RdFx
Dang wont any skinning being done in there especially if that lady has anythong to say about it !

What do you mean? She is the skinner.
grin
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/20/20 12:48 AM

Loved checking traps with my son before he went to school. Just adds a little excitement to the morning.

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/20/20 02:09 AM

So how long is it till this becomes a LONGLINING with Logan ?

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/20/20 02:12 AM

The way the weather is shaping up, probably 12 months minimum.
Posted By: oneeyedtrapper

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/20/20 11:55 AM

Good luck with the yotes!

I had big plans for the season but with opener a week and a half away and the forecast, I think I may just stay home and saw some lumber!
Posted By: Zim

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/20/20 12:18 PM

Good on ya Rob, I hope you guys have a great year.
I enjoy your enthusiasm with that young feller and hope to meet up with you again.
Best of luck.

Zim
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/20/20 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by 160user

The way the weather is shaping up, probably 12 months minimum.

grin

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/20/20 12:59 PM

Three more blanks today but the critters must have moved overnight.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/20/20 01:06 PM

You'll score... just hang back they'll be around eventually!

That white cral socks.

None here yet!
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/20/20 01:07 PM

Keep at it Logan, patience....
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/20/20 03:52 PM

Yesterday I had to get my boat out from our lake channel. The ice was an inch thick. I had to bust ice which wasn't fun. The ice wasn't think enough to walk on so busting ice was a real chore. When I backed my trailer in large ice chunks busted one of the trailer's tail lights.

I've never had to pull my boat this early due to icing conditions. The next 10 days we are looking at temps 10-20 degrees below normal. If it wasn't for global warming, I can only imagine how cold it would be! crazy

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/20/20 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
Yesterday I had to get my boat out from our lake channel. The ice was an inch thick. I had to bust ice which wasn't fun. The ice wasn't think enough to walk on so busting ice was a real chore. When I backed my trailer in large ice chunks busted one of the trailer's tail lights.

I've never had to pull my boat this early due to icing conditions. The next 10 days we are looking at temps 10-20 degrees below normal. If it wasn't for global warming, I can only imagine how cold it would be! crazy

Yep, rat opener will involve a chisel this year. I see a VERY, VERY short line in our future this weekend.

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/20/20 09:06 PM

I am sure the additional 3-5 inches of snow we are getting right now won't help either.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/20/20 10:47 PM

Snow? Heck I am still mowing grass. I think it is great that you run a line with Logan, good to see some new blood come onto the scene.

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/20/20 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
Snow? Heck I am still mowing grass. I think it is great that you run a line with Logan, good to see some new blood come onto the scene.

Another 5-8 forecast for Thursday and then Friday night they are forecasting a low of 11 so about 5 degrees here. The water will be a little thick!
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/20/20 11:50 PM

glad I dint put any sets in last weekend here. We must have 5 - 6 inches on the ground. Sounds like with the weather that is coming we are going to get more. Looks like we might be in for a long winter. Foot holds might hang in the shed this season unless we get some warm weather yet that last for a while.
Posted By: Rally

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/21/20 01:45 AM

[Linked Image]
Rob,
I’ve been parking here the last week, trapping a ditch. Took a leak here at least three times!! Left a few beaver there two days prior. This is what it looked like yesterday.

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/21/20 12:53 PM

I should have titled this “walking in the woods with Logan”. Empty, buried sets again today.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/21/20 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by Nittany Lion

Another 5-8 forecast for Thursday and then Friday night they are forecasting a low of 11 so about 5 degrees here. The water will be a little thick!

Global warming !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Shortlining with Logan - 10/21/20 04:24 PM

Time for him to carry the shotgun for grouse, and the old guy in tow carry the dispatch gun. At least you can use a sled to skid anything out now.
Another 2 inches and the snow machines come out .....
© 2024 Trapperman Forums