Home

Beaver Jerky ok?

Posted By: nyhuntfish

Beaver Jerky ok? - 10/20/20 12:08 PM

I still have beaver in the freezer from last year.

Does anyone see a problem with me using a food dehydrator to make jerky out of it?

Or instead: Maybe I'll make just dried meat instead of jerky so I can reconstitute it later in soups?

I'm trying to come up with new preservation processes. Thank you for your advice.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Beaver Jerky ok? - 10/20/20 12:14 PM

I wouldn't eat beaver unless it was well done. Period. Reconstituted and cooked would be better than jerky but canning would probably work too
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Beaver Jerky ok? - 10/20/20 12:15 PM

no worries making jerky from year old meat if frozen in good bags

you should probably salt brine it some if your just going to dry it , then you have the salt for your soup later already in the meat
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Beaver Jerky ok? - 10/20/20 12:20 PM

if 155 degrees is well done , 20 hours at 165 with near total moisture removal should count as well done

salting it first would decrease surface bacteria
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Beaver Jerky ok? - 10/20/20 12:33 PM

I do mine till it's basically dry in the dehydrator.

[align:center][/align]

Re: Beaver Jerky ok? - 10/20/20 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝

This is you? Thanks! I watched this video already. So you don't need to worry about any diseases then even if it's "jerky" and not completely dried-meat?

Re: Beaver Jerky ok? - 10/20/20 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
if 155 degrees is well done , 20 hours at 165 with near total moisture removal should count as well done

salting it first would decrease surface bacteria

Good point.

Re: Beaver Jerky ok? - 10/20/20 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by nyhuntfish
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝

This is you? Thanks! I watched this video already. So you don't need to worry about any diseases then even if it's "jerky" and not completely dried-meat?

Yep.

If you cook it long enough, meat doesn't have to actutvit the instakill temp as it pasteurizes, thus killing any potential bugs. At twelve hours, not much can survive. Plus it stores easier. It will rehydrate well enough in your mouth.I always check liver on what I catch if I plan to eat it as we do occasionally have tularemia here.

Re: Beaver Jerky ok? - 10/20/20 01:53 PM

If you cook it long enough, meat doesn't have to actutvit the instakill temp as it pasteurizes, thus killing any potential bugs. At twelve hours, not much can survive. Plus it stores easier. It will rehydrate well enough in your mouth.I always check liver on what I catch if I plan to eat it as we do occasionally have tularemia here. [/quote]

Thanks. Now is "any white at all" on the liver mean to throw out the meat? Sometimes I see a few little white spots so I'm not sure. Only one time did I get a beaver with a lot of white on the liver.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Beaver Jerky ok? - 10/20/20 02:01 PM

I used to make beaver jerky every year, to take with me on the line. I'd got away from catching beavs because of the work and price of the pelt, but now with three dogs to feed, if I don't make food out of them for us, I'll turn them into dog food. Been feeding a mix of beav and rice to them from some that I found frozen in a freezer and they absolutly love it, and I remember how good it can be. Also gonna try canning some this year!

Re: Beaver Jerky ok? - 10/20/20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by nyhuntfish

If you cook it long enough, meat doesn't have to actutvit the instakill temp as it pasteurizes, thus killing any potential bugs. At twelve hours, not much can survive. Plus it stores easier. It will rehydrate well enough in your mouth.I always check liver on what I catch if I plan to eat it as we do occasionally have tularemia here.

Thanks. Now is "any white at all" on the liver mean to throw out the meat? Sometimes I see a few little white spots so I'm not sure. Only one time did I get a beaver with a lot of white on the liver.[/quote]
To be safe I'd not eat anything with spots on the liver. I'd probably stop handling it as soon as I saw that just to be safe. Cooking might kill it off but I catch plenty of beaver so tossing one won't hurt me.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums