Home

ATV shopping

Posted By: AJE

ATV shopping - 10/20/20 03:45 PM

I haven't owned an atv in 25 yrs, but am thinking of getting into it (now that I have more property). Also, I'm near a lot of atv trails (the groomed trails are mostly loose sand, as they get used so much). Years ago I had a Suzuki, I think in the 250 range. It seemed plenty fast. Now, I see only Kawasaki (Brute Force) & Arctic Cat (Alterra) make an atv in the 300 range. Apparently guys are going bigger & bigger. I guess snowmobiles are the same way. I'm the type though that loves my old 440 snobil, so maybe I'd be plenty satisfied with an atv that isn't top of the line (I want a name brand tho). Are there problems with 300 class models? I'm not looking to haul out elk, plow massive driveways, or ride over-aggressively with a large group. I don't want a kids toy though. The price difference is big between a 300 & a 400+. The 300's come with what looks like a decent rack (front & back) that could be used for trapping/hunting. They're shaft driven automatics & seem like a decent rig. I see pros/cons, but am curious if the 300s are becoming so rare because there's something wrong with 'em. Maybe they lack power, clearance, or something else, I don't know. As for getting by without 4WD, I could probably throw chains on if I encountered real issues. I imagine it might suffer in snow, perhaps why they aren't popular. I could be wrong but I recollect back in the early 90s the 300 class was popular.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: ATV shopping - 10/20/20 04:00 PM

I have a Honda Foreman 450. I have never had any issues with it except I had to replace the muffler which never wore out, but a part broke of it broke off. The power these ATVs have as amazing.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: ATV shopping - 10/20/20 04:05 PM

I have a friend who is a full time test rider for Polaris, I asked him what I should get for hunting/cruising around the farm, I wanted nothing fancy just something simple and 4x4, he told me to get a Polaris sportsman 570 with little to no options and that is what I did. I think it was 6200 out the door with taxes and everything else, only options were metal racks. I have been happy with it so far after a year of ownership and doing everything from herding cows to driving around the snowy mountains in wyoming.

It is normally this time of year when they blow out the previous years models so watch for sales.

When covid hit and everyone got an extra 600 a week to stay at home ATVs sold like mad, Polaris stock doubled they sold so many units, it may be worth looking for a slightly used one, though I hate buying used ATVs because they are so easy to beat on and neglect.
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: ATV shopping - 10/20/20 04:49 PM

Those two look like 2wd and only the front is independent suspension, good work horses at low speeds. All wheel independent suspension saves on the body when the speed increases.

Re: ATV shopping - 10/20/20 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Line Jumper
Those two look like 2wd and only the front is independent suspension, good work horses at low speeds. All wheel independent suspension saves on the body when the speed increases.

Correct, they are 2WD. I'll ponder the suspension topic. The good news is I don't plan on driving like a wild man.
Posted By: rags57078

Re: ATV shopping - 10/20/20 10:38 PM

I have a 2016 450 Arctic cat Alterra I like it , I added the plow kit and use it on the driveway , I use it ice fishing also
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: ATV shopping - 10/20/20 10:43 PM

2003 yamaha big bear 400.does everything i need doing.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: ATV shopping - 10/20/20 10:49 PM

How big r ya? How many traps, stakes, equipment, etc. ya gonna haul at a time? What kind of terrain ya gonna trap? How many miles ya gonna travel each day?
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: ATV shopping - 10/20/20 11:01 PM

Have you thought about a side by side? I have both and prefer the side by side for most things .
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: ATV shopping - 10/20/20 11:31 PM

In my opinion, and just my opinion...Honda is the only choice for me. A 2005 Rancher and the wife's 2006 Rancher. I sat thinking, other than 2 batteries at the 10 year mark that's about it.
Posted By: 3fox

Re: ATV shopping - 10/20/20 11:39 PM

x2 on the Honda ranchers. I prefer the 4x4 Ranchers.
Posted By: keets

Re: ATV shopping - 10/20/20 11:49 PM

rancher
Posted By: midlander

Re: ATV shopping - 10/20/20 11:53 PM

Based o n what you are describing you may get along fine on a smaller cc machine, but I would strongly suggest thinking long and hard before opting out of 4wd....absolutely priceless when you need it.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: ATV shopping - 10/21/20 12:11 AM

y family runs all Honda. Tried others, drove others, all Honda. From 125 to 1000, My 500 Foremen is nice but honestly love my moms Rancher really need nothing more. Still light enough to move around by myself as well.
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: ATV shopping - 10/21/20 12:21 AM

I would look strongly at the Honda Rancher 420cc 4x4. Small enough to get around easily in the woods but more power than you'll ever need.

ol'dad
Posted By: Eyehi

Re: ATV shopping - 10/21/20 12:26 AM

Honda guy here as well ..... 84 three wheeler I still use during hunting season .... 2004 rubicon and 2017 pioneer side by side ..... Honda is a shaft driven machine Polaris use a belt .... Good luck ....
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: ATV shopping - 10/21/20 01:04 AM

Honda or Yamaha .....for reliability
Posted By: cci

Re: ATV shopping - 10/21/20 01:16 AM

Around here all the farmers buy honda ranchers or foremen so that's what I bought. Bullet proof.

Re: ATV shopping - 10/21/20 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Have you thought about a side by side? I have both and prefer the side by side for most things .

I don't have room to store a side by side in a garage and can't currently afford 1.

GROUSEWIT- I'm 6' 185#. Terrain on my 130 acres is some hilly, some flat (generally wooded, with an increasing amount of mowed trails); snow covered in the winter months. Our public trails are somewhat rocky but sometimes all the offroad traffic turns them to loose sand (mud, after a heavy rain), though the county and state are working hard to reduce soft spots. It's rated to pull 500# but the Arctic Cat 300 I'm interested in has a rear rack that is limited to 100#. I don't plan on overloading it with traps. As for mileage in a day---not a lot. I do have a snowmobile with a rack that I can use if the snow gets ~deep.
Posted By: Machias

Re: ATV shopping - 10/21/20 01:43 AM

I went on a bear hunt a few years ago in Northern Alberta. My outfitter has used about every make and model. The conditions up there are pretty harsh, constantly getting stuck, hauling heavy loads, lots of rough miles. He won't buy anything other than a Yamaha. Said none of the other models could make even one full season without being in the repair shop. I have a Yamaha Kodiak 4X4. Thing is an amazing workhorse.
Posted By: 30/06

Re: ATV shopping - 10/21/20 01:49 AM

I don't know much about buying or fixing new 4wheelers. My Honda Foreman has been plowing snow and hauling wood since 2004. It burnt out a few light bulbs and is on its 4th battery, but otherwise no maintenance required. Oops, I forgot. I've had to change the oil couple times a year.
Posted By: Posco

Re: ATV shopping - 10/21/20 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
In my opinion, and just my opinion...Honda is the only choice for me.

I like Honda products. The wife decided it was time for the boy to get a bigger wheeler so I took him off to the local Honda dealer. I don't recall the model we were looking at but it was red and in the 400cc class. Brand new on the showroom floor. He said he didn't like the color. I told him to get in the truck. I bought myself a Yamaha Kodiak 700 two weeks later.
Posted By: Trapper1960

Re: ATV shopping - 10/21/20 06:12 AM

I have a 2007 Yamaha 660 Grizzly & 2007 , 350 Grizzly Both have went through the works and still have never failed me ! Ive hauled Deer , Elk and loaded a 325 lbs black bear on the back rack and hauled it out of the woods and didn't even squeak ! Wouldn't even consider any other ATV. But I went with a 2020 Polaris Ranger for my choice of UTV. These are JMO !
Posted By: 220SWIFT

Re: ATV shopping - 10/21/20 09:14 AM

I have been trading used Atv’s for close to 30 years now ,... in that time I have owned pretty much every make and model ,. Last count is I’ve owned approx 467 different Four wheelers . Honda and Yamaha are my two favorite brands ,...
I firmly believe that Honda “wrote the book” on Atv’s .
The 500cc Honda Foreman is my absolute fave and one of the best models ever due to it's simplistic design by not having a liquid cooled engine ( only oil cooled) ,. The Honda rancher models are bulletproof as well . Not a fan of the Honda Rincon or Rubicon due to their fluid driven transmissions .
The Yamaha grizzly and Kodiak line of Atv’s are bulletproof machines too ,.. I love the automatic belt drive design .
People seem to like the Polaris name but I won’t touch them or Suzuki based on past bad experience

Posted By: run

Re: ATV shopping - 10/21/20 10:32 AM

I like 2wd ranchers pretty good. I have driven 4wd Hondas and was not impressed to say the least.

Re: ATV shopping - 10/23/20 03:07 AM

A lot of people seem to hold onto their atv's for a long time. They must be less maintenance than snowmobiles. I'm thinking a 2WD 300 is more cost effective to operate & maintain than a big one. Of course it won't haul as much, and probably can't go as many places in the snow. On the other hand, the 2WD is lighter if ya do get stuck. I kinda wonder if the smaller ones are more fun to ride than the big boys, of course in some respects the smaller (i.e. 300 machines) are less practical (they are better for going through tight places though). I like the fact the big machines have a higher ground clearance.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: ATV shopping - 10/23/20 04:50 AM

I have a 03 honda foreman 450 es 4 x4 Its never been sheded we run a logging opperation an cattle farm so it runs more days than not . It spends most days in the woods with two big chainsaws on the front ,fuel and oil and me .During the winter it helps feed cows it gets so much mud balled up in it you cant hrdly see te motor or axles . It starts and runs every time Ive changed the front cv shafts , tie rods , brakes ,a starter , a ecm , first gear is out of it but it just keeps going and going and going .
my dad has a polaris 500 sportsman ,i have to work on it . Amercan made or not i wouldnt wish a polaris on my wost enemy . The indepedant suspension , the drive belt and the electronics are all a nightmare waiting to leave you strande at the worst possible time
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: ATV shopping - 10/23/20 11:07 AM

I have a kawasaki 300, a Polaris 500, and a Polaris 850. My advice is get a 500 4WD you will be glad you did. I personally would stay away from Arctic cat. If I was in your shoes I would look at a good used Polaris or Honda.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: ATV shopping - 10/23/20 11:09 AM

I have a Yamaha 400 Kodiak and a Yamaha 660 Rhino side-by-side... drive them hard in rough terrain and have never had an issue. Where I ride I would get stuck with 2WD and need 4WD, the 400 you can lift the back end out of ruts and rock it around- the 660 you need to winch. I've never owned a Honda ATV but It would be in my top choices based on what my friends have experienced.

Re: ATV shopping - 10/23/20 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
I personally would stay away from Arctic cat.
Because they got bought out by Textron a few yrs ago?
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: ATV shopping - 10/23/20 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
Originally Posted by BernieB.
I personally would stay away from Arctic cat.
Because they got bought out by Textron a few yrs ago?

No because I had one and it was constantly in the shop. It's the only one I've ever bought brand new and it was a nightmare.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: ATV shopping - 10/23/20 01:49 PM

Ive bought two over the last two years. I bought the smallest I could find. A Yamaha 450 Kodiak, and a Honda Rancher 420. We use ours for our business, and we use them hard in extremely rough country.

If I had it to do over again I would buy two Yamahas. The Honda Rancher has been and will be reliable like all Honda's. That being said, it has two problems that are so bad that I would never buy another one. The first is the gearing. Honda got it all wrong with this model, ( 2019 ) first gear is ok, but 2nd is way to high. Makes it hard to pull anything, or even work it hard. The trail into my trapline is a very rough 50-miles. On the Honda its 1st gear all the way in. The second problem with the Honda is the fact that it rides like a tank. Normally this isn't something that I would even think about, but its so bad its impossible not too. It rides so rough that even an hour on it is torture.

The Yamaha is a dream to ride in comparison to the Honda. The belt drive ensures you are always in the right gear, and the high and low range, and diff lock are great when the going gets tough. My wife uses the Yamaha and loves it. Cost for both machines was very similar so I would suggest Yamaha.
Posted By: Boco

Re: ATV shopping - 10/23/20 02:33 PM

Honda for me.I own 2 both bought brand new,and use them both every year.
One -a 94 honda 4-trax 300-great little machine-still use it.Go all day start and stop on the trapline,hauling a trailer full of beaver,and burn about 2 cups of gas.Mtc and only parts over the years was a few batterys,brakes once,rear shock,choke plunger,and tire upgrade.
My "newer" machine is a 2006 420 rancher.I use it on the trapline occasionally,but mostly for pushing snow in winter in the yard.
They never fail to start.Both have besides the electric starter,a kick start (on the 300) and a pull start (on the 420),a choke,and a primer.The 300 also has a decompresser.
The 300 leaks a very little bit of oil,dealer said parts no longer available to fix,but no problem,just top it up if it gets a little low.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: ATV shopping - 10/23/20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by minklessinpa

Agreed. I sure wish they still made that model. Mine still runs like a top.

Re: ATV shopping - 10/23/20 03:48 PM

My family had a 4x4 artic cat. Terrible idea- it basically fell apart. Engine problems.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: ATV shopping - 10/23/20 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by minklessinpa

Agreed. I sure wish they still made that model. Mine still runs like a top.

They brought the 450 back I heard ?
Posted By: midlander

Re: ATV shopping - 10/23/20 05:02 PM

Ive had Honda Foreman 500 for several years and its not the fanciest or prettiest machine out there, but it just plain works.... When I hit the button, it starts....every time!

Re: ATV shopping - 10/23/20 06:46 PM

I'm pretty sure the Cat 300 is somehow affiliated with Kymco & Tracker, but the connection is unclear (& may have changed when Cat got bought out). Tracker might be the same as the Cat, but just different stickers & less $. I had ruled out off off brands, but maybe the 300 Tracker isn't a generic.

I agree Honda & Yamaha are probably the best. If I look for used ones, they might be in my price range. I wish I was better at analyzing a used machine to ensure it still has good life left, ha.

Thanks. Good info so far.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: ATV shopping - 10/23/20 07:24 PM

YukonJeff.

I could not find the Big Bear on the current Yamaha website. I rode a Yamaha Kodiak up in Alaska a few months ago and liked it, however. Seems real similar to the Big bear but with Auto transmission. I like the manual transmission of my Big bear but seems all the manufactures went away from the manual transmission.
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: ATV shopping - 10/23/20 07:41 PM

Buy a honda and never look back. The Honda rancher 350 is a good one.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: ATV shopping - 10/23/20 08:56 PM

I bought a 375 Arctic Cat 4wd in 2002. I had to have it for a bear hunting trip up in Canada. grin

Since then I have plowed my snow each winter. Pulled trees off that fell. My grand kids ran it ragged most summers.

It start good most of the time. A little cold blooded in the winter, even being in the pole barn.

I have 25 acres here and its fun time for the whole gang when family visits.

I won't buy another till this one dies. 18 years and still strong.

Re: ATV shopping - 10/24/20 03:32 AM

I wonder how the Textron takeover of Arctic Cat has effected the quality of Cat ATVs

I think Kymco was (maybe still is) involved with the manufacturer of Cat's Alterra 300 model. I don't want to consider a product that might be a dud. It's probably a fine machine, with a rider just having to decide if a 300 meets their needs & budget. Is it a cadillac, no, but if it's pretty good then that might be good enough for moderate use on a limited budget.

Used Honda's are hard to find around here.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: ATV shopping - 10/24/20 04:02 PM

I have 2 arctic cat 4x4's that have done well so far. 2001 250 that is my trapping rig bought it used from a dealer about 10 years ago. The only big thing that I have done in the last few years was shock mounts and new cv boots. My other is a 2006 400 that I bought from a farmer friend. They bought it new used it a couple of years then purchased a side by side and never used the
AC again. They had shoved it in the back of a lean too and had all sort of crap piled on it. I offer 500 bucks as is. I had it running the next day I did put in a carbkit later on the rubber on the needle had dryed out. And other 4wheeler is a 1985 honda 2 wheel drive 4 traxs another bullet proof machine other than it helpless in the snow.
Now having said all that My brother in law bought his mom, my mom in law a Kawasaki Mule 610 4x4 and she doesn't like it. So I if have been using it this summer and fall absolutely love it. Not a very fast machine or quick to wind up.Tops out around 25mph which is fine for what I do.
J
Posted By: Hunter 1

Re: ATV shopping - 10/25/20 01:04 AM

What you must keep in mind is every ATV has a limit and it all depends on what you plan on doing with it.

I have a 1987 Kawasaki Bayou (2WD 300 cc) and it was still being used for trapping and hunting up until to 3 years ago. I bought this thing brand new in1986 and I always kept up with normal maintenance. I spent very little money on this machine and to date I never had to take the motor apart to replace anything on it. It's still running fine, I just need to put new tires on it and do a brake job and the kids will soon be using it.

It is cheep on gas but not so good in the snow. The big advantage it is very light so when you do get stuck you can lift this thing up and move it around. I always carried a portable winch and all was well. Since it is a smaller atv it much easier to manoever off the main trails like when going through thick brush to pick up a deer.

For past 5 years I have used a 2002 Artic Cat (4x4 500 cc). It is much harder on the wallet. It does ok in the snow but when you are running checks on yotes and you are stuck in the middle of a corn field, guess what... Because it is a 4x4 I have a tendancy to push the limits. I never did this with my Kawasaki ( I used the snowshoee a lot more!). Not the best machine but it does the job. It is mostly being used for trapping and hunting. If I had to buy a new ATV, it would not be Artic Cat.

My wife and I have started to ride the local trail system with it and I am now considering buying a new two seater possibly Argo or Can Am not sure yet (if anyone has one of these it would be great if you provide some feedback).

However, if Kawasaki had a two seater option I would definately buy another Kawasaki that is for sure. Overall, very reliable ATVs.

Just my opinion and I hope it helps.

Re: ATV shopping - 10/25/20 05:05 AM

Here's an interesting 1: I know almost nothing about CFMOTO. I consider them somewhat generic/off-brand, but maybe I'm wrong. They might be ok. The price sure is nice for this 400 if one wants to go the 4WD route, but geez this thing is heavy for a 400...much heavier than anything else in its class. I don't like the made in China part though.

https://cfmotousa.com/atvs/cforce-400

Hunter 1- good info. Longevity is a big thing I'm looking for in an atv.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: ATV shopping - 10/25/20 07:24 AM

I've been kicking around buying one to replace the old garden tractor that I use in the woods to pull trailer for wood.
Seems to me there are few with low miles and approx 20 years old but they aren't cheap.

There is a 2000 Honda 4x4 foreman 450 with 800 miles for $3500 on my local craigslist.
A couple of older low miles ones in the same approx price range.

How many miles is alot for a ATV?

Re: ATV shopping - 10/25/20 05:01 PM

I am no expert on this, but I would say it depends on how well it has been kept. One of the things I would be doing is speaking with a local ATV dealer.

I would certainly ask about the number past owners, I would look at overall wear and tear starting with listed mileage, whether parts have been replaced, evidence of oil leaks. I would ask for invoices related to repairs. I would also ask what it was used for. I would also do so research on ATV forums, there is a lot of good info you can get on known problems with specific models. That may help you with your inquiries.

My old Kawasaki has never seen dirty oil....I am sure it made a difference. I can't say about the Artic Cat since it was own by someone else before I got from my father. However, the odometer on this 2002 is showing 4835 kilometers about 3004 miles which is not much.

If you are not sure what to look for take someone knowledgeable to look at it.

Unfortunately, these machines including old ones are selling pretty good and if well maintained will run for a long time. They are still selling for a good price

I am sure someone else with a lot more knowledge may offer some good tips on what to look for.

Hope it helps

Re: ATV shopping - 10/27/20 10:18 PM

The thing that puzzles me is the Arctic Cat 300 comes w/ a plow mount, but I doubt one could plow in 2WD.

If I get a 300, I'll probly get chains. If chains on a atv work as good on chains on a truck, then chains might be the answer for someone that either can't afford or doesn't want a big bulky atv. 1 thing about chains though is they wouldn't work on a driveway because I think they'd tear up asphalt. Ground clearance is less on the 300s but they are much lighter.

Re: ATV shopping - 10/28/20 01:26 AM

Nope, for many years I have used my 2 W/D Kawasaki to plow my driveway. The only thing you need to do is put enough weight on the rear rack to get some traction. No need to get chain for it. I am up in the Ottawa Region and we do have good snow accumulation up here and it sure did the job.

Hope it helps.

Re: ATV shopping - 10/28/20 01:38 AM

That does help, thanks
Posted By: furstroker

Re: ATV shopping - 10/28/20 01:44 AM

Never underestimate dealers wanting to get rid of old stock. Thats how i got my 07 honda rancher, two
years after. Saved thousands. Theyll deal iffn you can swing it. Doesnt matter how nice a used wheeler looks, 98% have been through crap or salt. The maintenance is the key. Most dont. Without tearing apart rearends, you wont know the facts. Things can be doctored to hide an issue for a sale. Good used can be found, but with atv's it's more of a crapshoot...but thats just my opinion.
Posted By: Sask hunter

Re: ATV shopping - 10/28/20 01:46 AM

I have a 750 Suzuki king quad. Between the power and the height that thing can go almost anywhere
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: ATV shopping - 10/28/20 01:59 AM

I have a 06 Honda Foreman 500, with 15000 miles on it and had very few issue with it. Hard to beat a Honda in my opinion, Ive had others that worked fine also but the Honda seems more reliable to me.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: ATV shopping - 10/28/20 02:02 AM

I to say yamaha or honda,
That said I ended up with a dealer demo suzuki king quad 450 4x4 back in 2007.
Gets rode hard and put up wet , I don't put many miles on it any more just trapping and back up wheels.
Got a side by side yamaha wolverine and like it.
Go ride them all if you have time, $$ money also plays a part , rebates special's or good ol' cash in hand
Has got me some pretty good deals.
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: ATV shopping - 10/28/20 02:51 AM

I would think again about a side by side.
They are much more useful than an atv.
Some places even allow them on the streets in town.
Haul your gear in the back and pull a trailer to haul that buck out of the woods.
just
Posted By: furstroker

Re: ATV shopping - 10/28/20 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by AKAjust
Haul your gear in the back and pull a trailer to haul that buck out of the woods.
just

Ideally both, but wheeler first. Depends on the ground. Sometimes the sxs doesnt fit or it's too heavy for conditions.
Same with big bore atvs. Under 500cc can be manhandled easy enough. Others, you need a winch, come-along,
farm-jack, shovel, or all above. Its all good when youre on the surface, not so much when you break through.

Re: ATV shopping - 10/29/20 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by AKAjust
just

UTV's are becoming more popular than atv's around here, but for me they are too bulky and out of my price range.
Posted By: Larry Hall

Re: ATV shopping - 10/29/20 02:19 PM

we have owned 6 ATV's in our lives and one UTV - All have been Honda except one and that was a Yamaha.. Honda is the preferred choice for us...Routine Maintenance is about all we've ever had to do.

Re: ATV shopping - 10/30/20 05:00 AM

1 thing I haven't seen any report of is fuel efficiency. I'm on a tight budget. I can only surmise the bigger the atv the more fuel it will use, but I'm not sure how that works. My guess is the 300 2x4s are quite fuel efficient. The ~400 4x4s probably as well

My experience is mostly with snowmobiles, not atv's.

Re: ATV shopping - 10/30/20 11:31 AM

I would say 2wd Hondas do pretty decent fuel economy wise. That's another reason to buy 2 wd. You don't have to buy a Honda. But I do like 2 wd because they turn on a dime. Big thing is run tires with aggressive tread in the rear.

Re: ATV shopping - 10/30/20 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Hunter 1
Nope, for many years I have used my 2 W/D Kawasaki to plow my driveway. The only thing you need to do is put enough weight on the rear rack to get some traction. No need to get chain for it. I am up in the Ottawa Region and we do have good snow accumulation up here and it sure did the job.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Re: ATV shopping - 10/30/20 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by run
I would say 2wd Hondas do pretty decent fuel economy wise. That's another reason to buy 2 wd. You don't have to buy a Honda. But I do like 2 wd because they turn on a dime. Big thing is run tires with aggressive tread in the rear.

I guess the ~300 carbuearated models require premium gas, whereas I doubt the larger EFIs do. But the smaller cc should improve fuel mileage.

Re: ATV shopping - 10/30/20 03:22 PM

None of these hondas require premium gas that I know of. Our fuel injected hondas are 420cc. All 2wd . I love 2 wd 4 wheelers.

Re: ATV shopping - 10/31/20 05:19 AM

Thanks. I'm headed to the dealer in the morning. We don't have as many dealers as we used to, so a little more travel is required.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: ATV shopping - 11/02/20 02:44 PM

What did you end up with?
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: ATV shopping - 11/02/20 09:20 PM

When I purchased my Arctic Cat 375, I got an additional discount for farm use. I think it was $4250 out the door.
Posted By: coyote44

Re: ATV shopping - 11/03/20 12:09 AM

Check out the Textron Arctic Cat prowler. Looks well built and the engine is very quiet. Textron has been making recreation vehicles for a long time so hopefully the bugs have been figured out.

Re: ATV shopping - 11/03/20 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Saskfly
What did you end up with?

Thanks for the tips
[Linked Image]
I have to give a shout out to the dealership, D&D Farm Supply, in Arcadia, for being excellent to deal with.

I went with the '21 model for $4,700.

I couldn't find a used machine that I felt comfortable with.

1 odd thing I noticed is the ground clearance is advertised (by Cat) as 8 1/4, but I measured it at home & learned it is 6 2/3
[Linked Image]

Now I have to find some accessories. I'm leaning towards looking at Dennis Kirk. I suppose you guys like that place

I've bought plenty of snobil accessories over the years, but never shopped for atv accessories.

Posted By: Thumb Catcher

Re: ATV shopping - 11/09/20 01:35 AM

© 2024 Trapperman Forums