Home

Wall mounter?

Posted By: Fatheroftwo

Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 04:00 PM

Shot this buck this weekend. On the fence about doing a shoulder mount. It’s the 4th biggest buck I’ve shot. Wife says yes, brother says no and I’m not sure. What say you? [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Massac

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 04:09 PM

I think a nicely done European mount looks nice if you're into those. Good buck, congratulations
Posted By: hippie

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 04:25 PM

Nice Deer!!

Sometimes its all about the hunt and not the antler size. Mounts (antlers period) are just dust collectors to me, but like anything its in the eye of the beholder.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 04:30 PM

If that were my deer I’d do a European. But I’m a tightwad and anything smaller than 180” doesn’t get a full shoulder mount for me lol I’ve never shot one that I did a shoulder mount on. One was close, I almost did. But the freezer went out and I lost the cape
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 04:53 PM

you have any mounted yet?
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 04:59 PM

What makes you and your wife happy is all I would concern myself with.

Asked your self a few questions . Was it big enough for you to shoot yes so obviously a trophy for you. Do you have the wall space and the extra cash to spend on the mount then mount it. If not a skull mount is nice I have done a few to save cash.

I dont care if it's a doe, spike or 220" buck mounts and trophies are a personal thing and if its something you cherish and have the means to preserve to suit your and wifes taste do it.

Nice buck congrats.

Edit: what's that saying about momma being happy again. Sounds like she wants it mounted.

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 04:59 PM

I have a few mounted and my wife has one mounted. I have a lot of euro mounts because that’s what I usually do with my deer.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Nice Deer!!

Sometimes its all about the hunt and not the antler size. Mounts (antlers period) are just dust collectors to me, but like anything its in the eye of the beholder.

X2.
Do as you please. I wouldn't care if it was a young 3 pt buck if it's significant to you and you want to, go for it. Plus your wife is on board
Posted By: Dewey NY

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 05:01 PM

If your on the fence do a Euro Mount.. Its a great buck bud... Congrats to you..
Posted By: BW55

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 05:05 PM

First of all-congratulations,not only on the great buck,but including your family in on your hunting life. The shoulder mount is a
great memory stimulator,but a European is also and you can do a good job yourself. Matter of $$-great dilemma to have
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 05:14 PM

I prefer a European mount even on Giant deer.. You can hand them to people , Shoulder mounts just hang there and you cant hold the rack and appreciate it as much IMO.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 05:20 PM

Its yours do as you please, maybe split the difference and do an at home European mount.

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 05:21 PM

I think I might do a shoulder mount. It was the first deer my daughter helped me track and maybe some day I can give it to her when I’m old and she’s changing my diapers lol.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 05:24 PM

What does your brothers opinion have anything to do with it? Looks like a dandy buck and if you want it mounted get it mounted.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fatheroftwo
I think I might do a shoulder mount. It was the first deer my daughter helped me track and maybe some day I can give it to her when I’m old and she’s changing my diapers lol.

Sounds like youl regret it if ya don't.Nice buck,,go for it. smile
Posted By: charles

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 05:31 PM

I only want European mounts now.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 06:03 PM

Depends if the deer has any memories tied to it. I mount the last deer killed on my in-laws farm before it was sold out from under me. It was headed to just a horn mount until I learned the farm was gone !!! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: HILLTOP TRAPPER

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 06:15 PM

the first one i mounted was about the hunt and the shot i made,huge no. the next two were big enough to justify,and i could afford it.last one i europeaned it, now nothing will get shoulder mounted unless its bigger than what i have on the wall.its all up to you and your wife,if you can afford it go for it
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 06:26 PM

my dad mounted my first buck a decent 9point but nothing like you see now days

it was Christmas and birthday that year

I just can't see putting that kind of money into one now a bunch of pictures and a rack mount yes

for the money I think I would take another trip with my son than hang something on the wall

if your wife wants it on the wall and you got the money just make her happy
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 06:36 PM

it depends on the hunt... if it was a great one and ya got the 400... go for it otherwise if its just another buck pictures and whack the horns and nail it to a board..... nice buck!!! I think you already got it captured with that cute little girl smiling .... thats what ya gonna cherish !! She dont have a care in the world!!!!

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 06:40 PM

by the way i don't think you need to do a dna test to see if she's yours..... apple didn't fall far from the tree there!!! grin grin grin
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 06:47 PM

The only opinion that counts already said yes.

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Mongeau
The only opinion that counts already said yes.

lol good point
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 06:51 PM

Do what your wife says. Happy wife happy life. If I were you I'd make a large photo of that one with your daughter and you . Your smiles say it all
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 07:41 PM

I’d have to shoot something giant to get a shoulder mount. This is what we do

Attached picture 3C1F20E5-D032-4A36-988F-793E108F2F31.jpeg
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 09:10 PM

Plus where are you going to display it. If in the main room of the house a mount is better (in my opinion) so kids don't get scared of a skeleton on the wall...

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 09:31 PM

Thanks for saying that. She is starting to be a chip off the old block. [Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 10:32 PM

Do what your Wife says
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Do what your Wife says

This! As long as she gives her blessing you had best seize the opportunity and get it done.
That is a nice buck and there might come a day that you might regret not getting it mounted.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 11:17 PM

Nice buck, congrats. Go ahead and decorate the house with him lol
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 11:29 PM

What county? Second of all.....that's a beautiful Michigan buck! In the county I live (Roscommon) that is a trophy of a lifetime for 98% of the deer hunters.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Wall mounter? - 10/20/20 11:36 PM

All up to you. 150” or over then possibly for me. Everything else is a Euro mount, like them better anyways. Needless to say I have a LOT of Euro mounts, lol. Although I saw a 170+” Euro mount that made that rack look even bigger than it was if that’s possible, lol.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums