Home

Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska

Posted By: Actor

Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 04:27 PM

A man from Ohio lost his life....

https://www.realtree.com/the-realblog-with-stephanie-mallory/grizzly-kills-moose-hunter-in-alaska

Garry-
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 04:57 PM

Sad to hear,but no way would I be caught around a carcass without a weapon.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 06:51 PM

That is sad. I know of a half dozen guys that have hunted AL this year and all say they have seen them.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by PineDoggin

While true it probably would not have mattered. I'm sure he was busy paying attention to what he was doing and being from Ohio not used to watching out for things that can kill you. I'm guessing it was on him fast and he didn't notice it approach. Isn't moose habitat normally pretty thick?

Then again he may have had plenty of time? Darn sad for sure.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 07:01 PM

A few weeks old, think we had a pretty good thread going on it at the time.
Posted By: white17

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 07:02 PM

Moose habitat isn't necessarily thick country but bears are amazingly quiet critters. I am always on high alert when cutting up a moose alone. Always good to have someone else drinking coffee and keeping their eyes peeled. Take turns working.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 07:21 PM

Yep a sad deal. He was a trapper too. Pretty good chance he has read this site at one point or another.

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 07:39 PM

Just a few minutes read on the wilderness form really highlights how soft and easy I have it and really am.

The weather and terrain can kill you quickly up there let alone the wildlife. Even a minor accident can lead to death due to the vast distance to get help.

Heck around here it's hard to travel a mile or two cross country without crossing a road.
Posted By: Ave

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by PineDoggin

He lived pretty close to me, a few of my friends knew him. As I’ve been told, he had a rifle but didn’t have time to use it/ couldn’t hear the bear before it attacked. Sad story for sure, I believe he was only 22.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 07:58 PM

Really Sad
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
A few weeks old, think we had a pretty good thread going on it at the time.

yes we did,old news
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 07:59 PM

Yea I remember reading about this on here a few weeks ago, I was thinking the reason him and his friend were on the hunt was to celebrate his upcoming 23rd birthday. Very sad deal
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 08:01 PM

He was going to be 23 in a couple days , he had a friend with but they were making sperate trips carrying meat about a half mile back to camp.

there was someone here who knew him or the family he was from Ohio

there was a good thread about it here a few weeks back

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 08:38 PM

https://www.newsbreak.com/ohio/mans...n-rare-attack-at-national-park-in-alaska
https://www.snyderfuneralhomes.com/obituary/austin-pfeiffer/

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 09:57 PM

heck of a way to go anyway.
Posted By: James

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 10:20 PM

I try to wear a handgun in a shoulder holster while dressing a moose. It's hard to grab a rifle when your arms are elbow-deep in a moose, especially when the rifle may be leaning against a tree on the other side of the carcass.

I know lots of guys say a pistol ain't worth much against a grizzly. But it beats trying to defend yourself with a knife.

Jim
Posted By: Osky

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by James
I try to wear a handgun in a shoulder holster while dressing a moose. It's hard to grab a rifle when your arms are elbow-deep in a moose, especially when the rifle may be leaning against a tree on the other side of the carcass.

I know lots of guys say a pistol ain't worth much against a grizzly. But it beats trying to defend yourself with a knife.

Jim

Absolutely James. The Guides choice shoulder model made by Diamond D in Alaska is an incredibly well made option for my 44mag.
Pistol may not be worth much, but in this circumstance with the muzzle buried in the fur a solid point .44 mag or bigger is going to leave mark. What more can you ask for?

Osky

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 10:37 PM

Jim

I heard several storys at my cousin's grandmother's funeral about his Grandfather. One was about a bear hunt. All week on a bear hunt his party had not seen a single bear. On their last morning after coming back from the stream warshing up from breakfast they returned to find a bear in their tent. It seemed unhappy and no one had there rifles they were behind the bear in the tent he came out of. But my cousins grandfather had his blackhawk on his hip and the bear dropped with a single shot.
It was standing on its back legs when he shot. His brother in law whom was telling the story asked wher he shot it he replied in the center of the chest. When they walked over to it it had a v out of the top of its head. I guess he was busy looking at those teeth when he shot.

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/20/20 11:16 PM

Having read these comments makes one wonder how important it is to get out moose hunting.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/21/20 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
Having read these comments makes one wonder how important it is to get out moose hunting.

shouldn't be afraid to live life , just maybe take some precautions stay with your partner , you have a better chance of living if he can shoot the grizz off you and not just find you dead when he returns an hour later
Posted By: Posco

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/21/20 01:33 AM

As Providence Farm mentioned, Alaska is always looking for a way to kill you.

I remember hiking in to a moose kill one morning with the intention of putting up a tree stand to hunt grizzly. It was nine or ten in the morning and the thought of a bear being on the kill that time of day never entered my mind. I was about seventy yards out when I glanced at the kill site to see a very nice grizzly stand on its hind legs looking right at me. I still had the backpack with the tree stand on my back but I threw the rifle to my shoulder and got off a shot. The bear ran into some spruce growth directly behind the moose remains and it went dead silent. I wasn't sure if I had hit the bear or not. I dropped my pack and eased my way in. I'd taken to hunting solo so I didn't have anyone to bail me out if things went bad. To say I was on edge would be an understatement. I couldn't find any evidence that I hit the bear.

Here's a couple of bear from that area. One in the fall on berries and one in denning country in the spring. The bear on the lake knew I was there but didn't know what I was. It saw me and was quartering downwind to pick up my scent, eyes on me every step of the way. You can see from the pic there's no cover. I shot it at seventy or eighty yards. A seventeen year old male with every canine broken off and a cavity in every tooth.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/21/20 01:55 AM

I try to wear a handgun in a shoulder holster while dressing a moose.

Jim

What were you dressing it in,,,a tu tu and heels ?? JIMMY I bet the moose didn't like that. smile
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/21/20 02:03 AM

I try to wear a handgun in a shoulder holster while dressing a moose.

Jim

Whats that mean,,you "try" to wear a handgun?? Either you do,,,or you don't.What a pretender.Troll
Posted By: Actor

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/21/20 03:39 AM

Sorry... did a late post on this story. I guessed I missed it before. I just received the story today from an outdoor site I get stuff.

Garry-

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska - 10/21/20 11:48 AM

Sad deal for a promising young man!!!! Doesnt seem fair I have lived so long. Figured I wouldnt have made it past 30 much with my lifestyle and work.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums